The midwives at the hospital gave me a nipple shield on Day 1 due to a blister on my left nipple. The brand is Avent.

When my milk came in they said I would have to use the shield on both nipples as my nipples are very flat and with my breasts so engorged Cooper just could not latch on. He is nearly 2 weeks old now and I'm still using the shield. I really want to get rid of it because I know it will decrease my milk supply (although initially I was not too worried as I have had TONS of milk). Sometimes when I am halfway through a feed I will take the shield off - my nipple is then drawn out a bit from the sucking and Cooper can sometimes attach. I feel so happy then. But I tried this morning to attach him from the beginning and had no luck. He just screamed and screamed and could not latch on to anything.

I'm stressing about it! But the midwives said as long as it helps me to BF then that's all the matters. They know women who have used shields for 3 months with no problems.

PS. Should the shield go vertically on the breast? Then that way Cooper can have his chin/nose contacting my skin? I think I've been putting it on the wrong way!!! Although the midwives never said anything to me...