We didn't start the wake/feed/play/sleep routine until 3.5 months - like others have said, the first 12 weeks are just about what the baby wants & needs (in my mind). The transition to something very routine based went really well for us as well - so the idea of bad habits starting at 7 days old seems silly to me. Also, my DS2, who use to feed to sleep at bedtime (the only pre-sleep feed that we did once we started the "routine") no longer does so (he's now six plus months) - he stopped on his own (he feeds and gets put down awake) and I MISS IT! I loved when he would fall asleep while feeding - it was the sweetest and now it's gone so I wouldn't try to change these special baby moments as they disappear too quickly and when you know it's your last baby (as it is for us), you look back and think "wow, that was quick".