I had a breast reduction at 17 and another at 22. Obviously, I had a great deal of breast tissue removed. However, the surgeon who performed the second surgery stated that my milk ducts appeared intact and as I am STILL a D cup he hypothesized that I had enough breast tissue for an adequate supply. I don't know how good his theory is and I have not been able to confirm it or prove it wrong in any literature. My intention was to try to breast feed my babies.
After I gave birth to my DD she was placed on my breast for her first feed. She was small and had a poor sucking reflex. Her next feed, the midwife took one look at my scars and handed me a bottle of formula saying 'here, love, you'll need this'. Every midwife had a different opinion of whether I should try to breast feed or not, some simply refused to assist me as there was 'no point'. Ultimately, I left hospital thoroughly confused and ended up FF my baby. She is now 7, healthy and well.
Whilst I was pregnant with DS I educated myself on BF after reduction. I found a fabulous book (BF after reduction: Defining your own success) which I took to hospital with me and handed to any midwife who told me there was 'no point' attempting to BF. When my DS was 2 weeks old my supply could no longer keep up to his demand; he was unsettled, constantly on the breast where he showed frustration and his weight gain slowed markedly (a good friend is a MCHN and we weighed him every two days to ensure he was gaining weight). The issue was complicated by the fact that my son has serious renal problems and his urologist had made it clear that whilst he was very happy for me to attempt to BF it was vitally important that my son receive adequate fluids (be it breast milk or formula). I started comp-feeding at two weeks and continued BF to my goal of 12 weeks. My supply never increased markedly and the most I could ever express was about 15mls from each breast. I have never experienced 'let down'.
I did use herbs to try to increase my supply, from memory Fenugreek and something else and some sort of vile tasting tea??
I am pregnant again and intending to attempt BF with this baby. Research indicates that a mother who BF after reduction surgery will most likely have increased success with each subsequent baby due to recannalisation of the milk ducts. My GP has recommended that I try Motilium this time to increase my supply (I need to give this more research but I'm certainly open to the idea at this time). I would also take herbs again and even drink the tea!! I would be happy to give CM a go, although I don't know much about it and wouldn't know how to find a good practioner. I am realistic about my likely ability to BF without complementary FF - it probably won't happen. I believe that I am being realistic and to think that I will BF without comp feeding would be setting myself up for 'failure'. I am 'defining my own success' by setting goals which I believe are achievable for ME.
I do find that some women, and the occasional man, are judgmental about my inability to BF. I have been told that I 'just didn't try hard enough', that I am a 'bad mother', that I won't bond with my baby and one gem who told me that I was 'incredibly selfish' to have breast reduction surgery before I had my family. And as much as I would like to let all those things roll off my back without affecting me, the truth is that those comments make me feel sad, inadequate, frustrated and angry.
Bookmarks