Haven't posted for a while - I have been lucky and had a wonderful little girl, great mother's group, good family support etc etc, but have to put in my two cents worth in reply to this question.

I breastfed my littlie until she was 9mths, by which time we were both kind of over it all. She had no probs stopping at all, she pretty much gave it up herself.

However, in answer to the actual question, accessability of artificial milk is up there as a big reason why b/feeding is stopped so early. Personally, being on a budget meant that breastfeeding was a perfect solution for me - I mean, really, I didnt have to pay for food for my Mousette unitl she started on solids at 6+ months!! Also, I knew it was the best thing for her and apart from a major amount of "ouch" factor during first week we never had any issues. Positive attitude + having to budget = successful breastfeeding!!

cheers all,
Anna

(my little one is a very happy, very healthy, brilliant sleeper, 2 1/2yr old now )