Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birth plans for c-sections

Question Birth plans for c-sections

Does anyone have any ideas for my birth plan?

I totally forgot about it and Trish just reminded me (thanks!!)

So far I have:

Cord to stop pulsating before cutting
    No cathetar unless totally necessary-- and numb first
    Drop screen so we can see him being born
    Dh to be with Junior at all times if Im not
    Need to have skin to skin contact ASAP
    Need to be able to feed ASAP
    Please wait until I can come with him to be weighed and bathed
    No hepatitis injection at birth-- we prefer to wait

im sure there is heaps more than i cant think of right now...
    Last edited by Danni; April 11th, 2007 at 05:15 PM.

I'm pretty sure Brooke had hers on here somewhere and she had a great one done up - very comprehensive. You should ask her if you can see it.

Ok some other ideas....

Do you want vitamin k for junior?

Would you prefer no-one but DH to cuddle him after birth? If you are unable to be with him straight away you can request that no-one else (family, friends etc) holds him until you have had a cuddle if you want.

Can DH & junior be with you in recovery?

If you *must* have a general, you can request no-one to see junior (other than DH) until you are awake.

Cailin also has a very good one for c/s as well she might be able to share again.

Hi Danni
    if they let you put off having the catheter put in until you are numb please let me know - i will definitely ask for that next time as that was the most unpleasant thing about my c/s!!

One thing i might ask for next time is to have a second support person for me around as once the baby is born and is taken off to be checked etc i was left by myself (ie no dh but lots of others in the room) and no body talked to me for ages and i can remember feeling very alone and it seemed to go on for ages. So if you have someone else who could stay with you once bub is born that may be an idea although i don't know if it's alowd.
    Good luck and hope you have a great experience meeting junior.
    Julie x

Some people ask for the screen to be lowered so they can see bub being born.. not sure if thats your cup of tea but something else to think about?

One special thing is to remember your camera.

Most of the time the catheter goes in first before the numbing....

if i HAVE to have one...I want to make sure Im numb first.

Trish said she didnt have a catheter for her c/section

I had the spinal block in first before they put the cath in with Alex and Eleanor. They find it easier that way as you need to swing your legs up on to the bed so it's best to do it after the spinal or epidural.
    With Kimberley i had it in first but that was done in the UK and they had to rush to get things done with her.

Yup, Danni, as I said obviously it is not an absolute necessary thing to have a cathetar for surgery. But I have a feeling you will be hard pressed to find a Dr that doesn't do it.
    I was so lucky with Noah's birth that the Dr didn't put on it. It was one of my greatest fears, oh along with an episiotomy. Oh yeah, had no real problems weeing afterwards either. They just got me a bed pan and I sat on it. Well, I fell asleep on it. HEHE.

I made it so that no one else could hold Noah before I did, other than DP. My mum was even there and didn't get to hold him. Nor did my big boys. This made him feel like he hadn't been passed around to everyone before me.

I'm sure little things will come to you over the next few days Danni. Be sure to take a copy of this in with you for your next visit. Tell them you want it in your files. Make sure you make several copies too. No excuses that it has been misplaced then
    Last edited by Trish; April 11th, 2007 at 09:25 PM.

Honestly a catheter is not *that* bad If you want a copy of my c/s birthing preferences let me know

*hugs*
    Cailin

yes please cailin!

thanks so much brooke-- i just had a quick read. I am so glad that he was able to remain with you at all times. I dont think I will have that luxury...but I sure am going to push for it!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Having a birth plan for a caesarean is tricky, because most, if not all, decisions are made by the anaethatist and / or the Ob - and because you are public you don't know who you are getting, and more often than not, they get it their way. So try and bring it up with the hospital as soon as possible before the birth, but it's really pot luck with the Ob/anaethatist you have and their beliefs.

I have supported women who have been birth centre clients and needed to transfer, a couple having c/s and all their preferences tend to go out the window as the Ob just wants the procedure done and over with. I know one Ob recently who said to a client of mine, 'I don't agree with leaving the cord to stop pulsating, do you want to bleed to death on the table?' WTF?!

Private Obs you have more negotiation with as you know who will be there and can talk to them before the birth - and if you don't like them you can change - but you still know their beliefs and what you are going to get. So be prepared this may happen, I do hope your birthplan gets to work out as you hope hon. Perhaps you could hire a midwife so you can breastfeed in recovery as Brooke was going to do? Run it by the hospital first though as something you want to do in order to get that
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

B456 and Cailin, could I please see a copy of your CS birth plans? You can email to me at my contact detail (remove the Nospam) and I will most grateful!

Kelly, I've been thinking about hiring a midwife specifically so that bub can stay with me and be BF in recovery (ever since the hospy told me they try to do this but if they're busy then not) - but here in Canberra I don't think there are any midwives who are allowed to practice in the pub hospital (all that insurance stuff). Should that matter or do you think I could get one anyway?

WTG Brooke!!! Good on you for being so pushy - it really paid off for you and Lucas

My main ones if I had to have a C/S this time would be that I can see the birth, and that bub could come to recovery with me.

I have been told the reason that they usually don't let bub to recovery is that they have to legally have a nurse/midwife there with you both (ie: one per mother & bub) the whole time. Which would obviously be expensive. I have an aquaintance who works as a midwife at my local hospital, so if I had to have a C/S, I would see if they would allow her to come & be that 'extra' so that bub could be with me.

This thread has been really interesting.

Especially about the private midwife thing. My mum is a registered nurse and midwife, so i was saying to DH if i need a c/s call my mum and get her to come straight away (i wasn't going to have her at the birth or even tell her i was in labour, but she is only around 40 mins away by car).

But DH reckons they wouldn't let her because she is my mum and its unethical... I said its not like she is operating on me or something.

Although maybe i wouldn't tell them, as we have different surnames... But we look similar so not so sure...

Not that i want a c/s, but if i do need one, at least i could get to feed in recovery etc and not have to pay for it!

Danni,
    I think it's really important to think about what is important for you. As Kelly says it can be difficult if you are a public patient - however, I am assuming you are having an elective c/section so you should have a date by now? If so, you can find out who the surgeon/s is on that day. It is imperitive that you speak with the hospital and be assertive about your needs and wants around your c/section.

Hospitals have policies - so some things will just be NO it's not policy. You will need to decide if you can cope with the no's to some of your requests. If you can't there are options - perhaps it may mean a different hospital or a doula or midwife to be there for your birthing.

Some things that you may think of asking for are: music to be playing, quiet hushed voices, dimmed lights (can be a difficult one but I have seen it!). You may like to request that your baby is lifted straight onto your bare chest. Breastfeed whilst being sutured - baby and you are not separated - again this may require you hiring a midwife/doula to fill this role.

I hope you can acheive the birth that is important for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast