Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Caesarean General Chatter & Discussion #5

Pietta Guest

I would love to do a study on whether you are more prone to PND if you had a traumatic emergency c/s.

i had PND so i did not bond with Ryley at all- i did not feel i loved him being honest until he was around 13 months- i think it was all the stress of my emergency c\s and everyone 'helping' that made me feel incompetent.

How many had traumatic emer c\s and ended up having PND?

lindie Guest

Thanks Linda,

we are going private and Ive just been informed by my mum that Id better check our private Health Insurance as some dont pay for an elective C-section :-s , So will be on the phone in the morning.

Gee im glad they only do it that way, , although I have a lower tummy of stretch marks so i dont show it off anyway, Hubby tells me tonite he doesnt really care as its no big deal and hes having the month off work after to help out so Im so relieved now.

Thanks on the Breastfeeding as I had wondered how that worked but seemed that it would be okay? My only fear is day 3 when I look like Pamela Andersons double LOL and a sore Tummy but I guess Ill live?

I also know that I will have an out of pocket Anethatist (sp?) fee on top of my costs but it seems pretty cheap to me in the long run. Wouldnt wanna cut corners in that area.

Thanks again
    Lindie

Linda - We didn`t have to pay any extra for my c/s in May, hopefully you`ll have the same outcome. Good luck with the c/s and recovery.

lindie Guest

Here we go another panicking question!!!!

A very unthoughtful mum at school this arvo tells me that not only are you catheterised (which is fine-how else does ones bladder drain?), shaved :-s , dripped,etc... BUT you also after the proceedure have a drainage tube in the site of the wound for it to drain off and after a certain amount of time it is removed and is extreamly painfull. Such a nice lady to tell me this LMAO, so was just wondering if anyone else has had this and was it really that bad?

Also im an active person who has had both babies previously and delivered placenta and has been straight off to the shower to feel a little less like a dairy cow, can I do that once Ive un-numbed etc..? silly question but was wondering if there is a safety issue involved :-k .

My mum of 4 natural deliveries has also told me that she retained placenta twice and had to have an epidural and its no big deal they give you a local in that area and then place the line in??? I also want to know can I have the Magic Cream on before that local???LOL. Then I guess ive got nothing to worry about, ( as I lie to myself-this to a chick who has here jaw Novacained just to attend the dentist!!!)

Oh and a second mum today has told me im taking the cowards way out LOL, do not tell a raging hormonal women anything even similar to this!!!! I am now guessing my reaction will not win me [email protected] Mum of the year!!!

Thank you again
    Lindie

WHAT A COW!!! Sorry...I had to get that out.

I did have a catheter & a drain as I lost a lot of blood during the c/s. My drain was taken out 12 hours post delivery and so was my catheter. At that time I still was on pain relief so I didn't feel it at all. I was in the shower before this carrying all my little bags with me because I HAD to shower then & there. I was up & moving with my little bags in the morning & they took them both off as I went to the loo too. So as scary as it sounds, its actually better to have a drain because that way the blood doesn't "pool" in your abdomen. If it does it takes weeks to be absorbed into your system, and you bleed for longer post birth.

HTH!

OMG Lindie - people can just be so rude!!! :evil:

I didnt have the drain in my wound. As for a shower, I didnt get one until the next day, so felt a bit gross, but one of the widwives gave me a spongebath in bed (i would normally freak at the thought of that, but it felt so good to get clean I didnt care at all!!)

I think I had a local before the epi? not 100% sure....

How rude telling you that you're taking the cowards way out. ggrrr - some people are ignorant. There IS no cowards way out of childbirth!!

Melinda Guest

I had a catheter in for 24 hours and was not allowed up for a shower until that time, but I too had a spongebath which was most welcome! It made me feel a bit nicer. I didn't have a drain in the c/s site at all.

Pietta - I was very traumatised by Jacob's birth. I have been a long time sufferer of depression which was definitely heightened during my PG as well as post-birth.

Custardtart Guest

I didn't have a drain, and had a shower just before the c/s so I still felt clean for hours afterwards. I can't believe you have had people telling you that you are taking the easy way out... are you sure they weren't joking? I think I'd scare people away pretty darn fast with my reaction to that little comment!

Kerrie

Hi - my first CS was an emergency one, when being induced two weeks overdue did not work out and with this one, I had an elective 11 days before my due date and I came out of both of them fine with regard to PND, and I have a history of mental illness in my family. I think I was more hormonal when I was pregnant, there were times I would fly off at the smallest thing.

First CS I had a drainage tube in, nothing like walking the halls with a drip on one side and a drainage thingie in your pj pocket - Cait was in the special care nursery for her first day as she was a bit mucas-y. Second CS, no drainage.

First time I was out of bed after about 12 hours, second one about 24 hours for a shower.

I've never had a natural birth so I don't know how you feel after one, but after a CS when they lift up your baby and he/she is sqwarking and kicking and you and your partner are laughing and crying at the same time, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Barb.

Theresa, (another thing in common LOL). Emma was brought to me as soon as i got out of recovery & I bf straight away (lying on my side). She stayed with me from then on (I didnt know I was supposed to buzz so I was just reaching accross and picking her up myself :-s

maybe - whenever I held her during that first day they would put the bed rails up because I was pretty drowsy Just in case(theres a whole other story there - my catheter tube got jammed in it.....OMG!!!), so i guess you could ask if they would put the rails up for you

lindie Guest

Thanks again girls,

Christy - No this mum isnt liked at all at school (any wonder?) And on the shower I just would like to feel human again and its been 7 years since my last baby and the shower was thing i loved the most?

Linda - I dont see myself as a coward I had a 3 day labour with my son and no pain relief as it was a busy public hospital with a bad reputation so It gave me a giggle more than anything. And I already know that a c - section is major abdominal surgery.

Custardtart - no she wasnt joking a few other mums shot her a death stare at the same time.

Barbie-up - Thank you for that insight, Hubby says the same thing, all these little things wont matter once we see this little guy. Hopefully I will be able to remember more about his birth than I seem to about the others.

My OBGYN said that we were 3rd on the list for c-section that day so it will still be a morning proceedure? He says thats better than an afternoon one? My hubby says prolly cause they are all still fresh in the morning and getting a bit worn out in the afternoon?

Also is there anything extra to pack in my hospital bag that you wouldnt normally pack? Some ladies have written larger cotton Knickers as they dont sit on the incision site? So Ive remembered that one - out with the bonds cottontails.

Lindie

Just to go back to what you were saying Theresa & Linda, when I was being wheeled into recovery they put Matilda on my bb's and we started breastfeeding then & there...before that she was in DH's arms.

Christy thats great!! I wish I got to have her in recovery. I cant understand why they nomally make you wait until you're out of recovery

What a horrible woman Lindie!!

I was also given a sponge bath, something I wasn't too sure about, but as soon as the warm water hit my back I was in heaven!

My drain looked like they had cut one of the fingers off a plastic glove! It was a bit uncomfortable when they took it out, as they grabed the top of the 'finger' with some tweezers then pulled on it...stretching the plastic in one full go then finally it came out. I did what they told me..'Take a deep breath' and it was all over in a few seconds, so not that bad really.

Dee - Who is your health insurance with if you don't mind me asking?

Astrid - My DD was stuck too! Our labours sound similiar! I was lucky enough to have the Dr tell me that there was no way DD was coming out with the vacuum or if they cut me, so he sent me for the c/s straight away.

Nic

I forgot to say earlier as well, Matilda was put in bed with me after the c/s. She came out at 6pm and around 9pm I was exhausted (Twenty something hours of labour will do that to you...)and she was in the basinette next to me and I called the midwife because I couldn't get to her & she was crying a little bit so the midwife put her next to me in bed & told me to buzz when I needed to roll over... so from that moment on Matilda slept in bed with me.

Hi - about having a second CS and a youngin' - Cait is nearly four, so it's been OK, I don't have to lift her for anything. I don't know how you go with a younger one ?? It's been 16 days now and I'm pretty much back to normal, just a bit more careful about lifting things.

On Alexs' first night, the midwives just wheeled him out and told me to get some sleep. I was a bit miffed at the time, but later thought that it was a good idea. Although my mind was too busy to sleep. And every time a baby cried somewhere, I didn't know if it was my baby.

Both Alex and Cait went up to the room with Nick while I was in recovery and I'm sure my second recovery was a lot shorter than the first, and I know I was more 'with it' the second time. I got to hold Alex a lot longer before I went to recovery, he was wrapped up like an eskimo in towels. I was able to feed when I went back to the room. There are photos of me looking a bit dopey and on the phone after he was born ! I can't remember who I was calling.

For Alex we were second in line in the morning, but someone jumped the queue with an emergency - we got there at 7am, went downstairs at around 11.00 and Alex was born at 11.35.

Quekstion - has anyone actually waited the 4-6 weeks before they drove again afterwards ? and how long did you not vacuum or mop or lift washing, that sort of stuff ?

Best and Less are good for big cheap undies. $1.50 each for black cotton ones.

Barb.

Hi Barb...i had a sheet printed out for me on leaving the hospital after a c section this time and it said no driving for 2 weeks and no mopping/vaccuming for 6 weeks...i loved that!!!LOL I drove to a clinic appt just before Sammy was two weeks and was fine.

HTH

Jo

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast