Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Caesarean General Chatter & Discussion #6

So very true Simone. Seems like not only does everyone have an opinion on how we should and should not parent our children, but also the way we give birth to them.

After my DD was born, I ran into someone I once knew who had moved away and just become a mum herself. So we got talking one day at the checkouts and we talked about our babies and I mentioned I had an emergency c/s. She turns around and says " OMG..You took the easy way out too! So did I" :eek: Told her that her experience might have been easy, but mine wasn't! Absolutely amazed me.

People seem to think that exact thing, you took the easy way out. Not realising that you go through so many emotions of feeling like a failure, wondering if you could've done more or done it differently, hoping that your baby is fine and well and then your husband/partner goes through their own set of emotions as well.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now!

Nic

I don't think that I took the easy way out, although compared to giving birth to a breach bub it probably was the easier alternative.

That's not to say either that I did not want to atleast attempt to give birth to Noah, just that the stupid OB at the hospital would not even give me a chance !!

That is so unfair, sometimes it woudl be nice to have the choice...

When my contractions were starting, i asked if i could give birth naturally, they said it would kill bub... So there wasnt a choice. But after the agony of recovering from major surgery and being given minor drugs (the other girls in the ward were on morphine drips and i get panadeine!) i will NOT be doing it again, i WILL be having a VBAC or no more kids at all (or preferabley, DH can have #4 for me!!)

Debbie Lee Guest

Moreover, everyone's c-section experience is different (just as everyone's BIRTH experience is different... whether assisted or not).
    I can say that I didn't find the caesar experience to be all that bad. My recovery wasn't too difficult. The caesar itself was truely bizarre but, in the end, I was happy just to finally meet my baby.
    It doesn't mean I assume that it was an ok experience for everyone. I know that everyone's pain thresholds are different, hospitals vary in SO many procedures and staff attitudes, expectations etc. etc. We all bring different things into the experience too... all these things influence how we cope and how we feel about it.
    I wouldn't say it was a walk in the park but I kind of dealt with the whole experience ok because my Mum had had 4 caesars. Also, I wasn't really that "passionate" about having a natural birth (for a good reason, I believe) so I didn't really feel 'let down'. I was let down by a few other issues, but having the caesar itself wasn't a huge disappointment, iykwim?

Im just curious, what was everyone's recovery like-how many days were you restricted to bed, what drugs did they give you to help with the pain, and for how long did you need it??

I was up the next morning (a bit over 12 hours after the C/S) so that I could have a shower and clean sheets. Once the pain relief from the C/S wore off I just used panadol and voltarin and a sleeping pill at night for 2 nights. I had the option of stronger drugs but I didn't want them to go through my BM to Imran. He had already had enough drugs from the epi and morphine and I didn't want him to have any more.
    I went home after 3 nights because I can't sleep in hospitals and I wanted to be back at home to recover (because I'm a bit paranoid about all the superbugs in hospitals lol). The midwives stopped the home visits after 5 days because we were coping fine and DH was such an efficient nurse (although a bit sloppy with his uniform lol).

Debbie Lee Guest

Simone - I was up the next morning. I had Gab at 5pm so I stayed the whole day in bed. The first thing I said to the midwife in the morning was "When can I get the catheter out??". It was rather annoying.
    Pain relief was always at hand... I had panadol, voltaren, some slow-release drug and something else... can't remember. I was also having maxalon for my BM supply and that made me feel super dizzy (didn't know this until after I left hospital).
    I kept taking medication until we left... so I was never in any pain. I went home on day 5 so I was fine by then. I was told to take panadol when I needed it but I didn't....

I had Noah at 6.49 pm so spent the night in bed. I was up early the next morning for a shower and I had my PCA in for another day or maybe 2, can't really remember. I still had after contractions that I was feeling.

I never had a catherter in at all so I was sat on the bed pan where I fell back to sleep after Noah's birth. I was sat on it and told that I needed tp wee or I would get a catheter. Had a shot of my PCA and fell asleep. When the midwife come back to check on me a few hours later I was still on the bloody ting with no wee. She left the room to get a catheter and I thought of that many running rivers just to get a wee out. There was no way she was putting that thing in me.

I should say that the whole caesar experience wasnt that bad. I am happy that I was awake for it. I do know that in the very unlikely event that I was ever to have another baby that there are a few things I would do differently in the event of a c section such as immediate feeding and skin contact, also bub would stay with me. Still, as we're not planning on any more babies I don't like the chances of it happening anyway. Oh and yeah, I wouldn't plan on going back for a hospital birth again.

I think I may have had some other medication but I can't remember it at all. I too stay in for the 5 days, it near killed me. Mark wanted me to stay until his leave was sorted at work.

Never again !!!

So next time I did it at home
    Last edited by Trish; October 27th, 2006 at 03:46 PM.

Hi.. I have had 2 c/s..
    with my first recovery was reasonably quicker then I thought it would be.. I was out of bed approx 13 hours later and getting up and about on my own by 24 hours

with my second i was out of bed in 11 hours and walking a little but I didn't walk that much till the following morning at 21 hours...

With both I used panadol for pain relief although I need a supp for my 2nd as I had shoulder pain on day 3 which hurt so bad I was in tears it hurt more then anything. I went home after day 4 with my 2nd c/s and day 6 with my first but I was feeling good enough on day 3 but my son was sick and didn't come home till day 16. I also wanted to go home on day 3 with my 2nd but he was in scn till then so we couldn't leave till day 4.. We are planning another c/s for bub 4

i had a terrible c/s experience. Firstly is was emergency after a 15hr labour (cervix was not dialating) I had Nixon at 5.08pm, by 6.30pm i started having the most intense pain of my life. I still dont really know what happened but think the epi was wearing off & i was feeling the full extent of just being cut open. The nurses were trying to clean me down and could not move me a cm without me screaming(i usually have a pretty good pain threshold) this pain lasted almost an hr before more drugs actually started taking effect and by this time i was delerious and telling them i would die if this pain did not go away.
    The following day i had the catheter taken out about 9am but could barely even stand to transfer from the bed to a wheelchair to go see my son.
    It was not until the wednesday (48hrs after) i got to have my first shower and could shuffle myself there.
    For this reason i am so scared to have another c/s but dont think i have a choice as the reason i did not dialte is because of strong scar tissue around the cervix.

To me it was definatley not the easy way out & i feel somewhat robbed i can never have a natural delivery. so if anyone ever told me i had the easy option i would shut them down in a heartbeat!
    i cannot even remember what pain relief i had but i was having all sorts of pills every few hours etc for atleast 3 days. I also had terrible shoulder pain (geez does that hurt)

Debbie Lee Guest

Oh gosh, Nic... what a terrible experience that must have been! It is amazing how each experience can differ - which is why people making sweeping statements like; "Too posh to push" are unfair and unfounded.

all these people that tell us we took the easy way out... can i just say i wish upon them the "joy" and "easyness" of a c/s. see how easy it is then!!
    Last edited by simone; October 27th, 2006 at 04:54 PM.

A c/s is so not the easy way out... it is till the epi wears off :/ but you dont get to hold your baby straight away, you can't get out of bed without help ect ect and the list goes on.. For me however a c/s is the only way I want to give birth. I had a positive natural experience but my c/s were also positive..

Did anyone else become numb to thier face from the epi? I had feeling but not much around my cheeks. They kept doing the ice test on my face for ages...

I was numb from my boobs down, Nic.

I ended up scratching so bad in recovery, i scratched until i bled (as i couldnt feel the scratching, i could only feel the itching...)

I also has the shakes, they put this wonderful blanket on me that pumped hot air everywhere...

The one thing i hated more than anything is the nurse in recovery kept pushing on my wound to push any major clots out (sorry, TMI) i think that was the reason i was more sore than i should have been... she was so rough!

Debbie Lee Guest

What the?? OMG, Simone... that sounds harsh. No one ever pushed on my wound... they were quite gentle with me. Ouchies! Any wonder you were sore!
    I had major shakes too after having the epidural. Mum kept telling me I was cold but I didn't feel cold. They put one of those warm blankets over me too. I was shivering so badly that my teeth were chattering.
    I also vomitted during the procedure. That was probably the scariest thing for me... I was trying to heave without moving because I was scared they'd cut something they shouldn't. Nothin' like trying to hurl whilst laying flat on your back! LOL

Poor you deb! i felt a bit nauseous, and for a while there i felt like i was going to have an asthma attack, but i never did... The itching started off around my lips, then spread around my face, then spread down my body. I had stratches all over my bosy, they took about a week to heal

I had the shakes as well.. in the theatre itself after my 2nd c/s the drs massaged my stomach to stimulate the uterus or something to make it contract. I never felt it and it didn't hurt afterwards..

I had a panic attack during my 1st c/s.. I felt like I couldnt breathe and it happened the day after as well.. I think I just wasn't prepared for what was to come.. I knew what was comign 2nd time round so I was able to calm myself when I felt a fear rising

aussienic - My DH tells me 2nd time round will be much better as well.

I had arrived for a scheduled visit on the friday morning, had been having mild pains all night but thought they were braxton hicks, and was told I needed to go to the maternity ward as I was in labour. I protested and we settled on Friday arvo. Had pain all Friday night and even though they gave me something to get a little sleep, I gone none at all.

Saturday afternoon I finally thought I would go into the labour room and started pushing just before midnight Saturday night. After a couple of hours, which made it around 2.30am Sunday, they told me my baby was stuck and they were calling someone in.
    Dr arrived and checked me over, had a chat with the midwives and they decided to do a c/s. I was given a shot of pethidene and taken to the theatre where I'm not sure if I was given a spinal block and epidural? Either way it didn't work, and I kept getting angry with them because I could feel them wiping the betadine over my belly.

Next thing, they said they were going to have to knock me out. DH wasn't allowed to come in, they told him why and he was left to sit in the corridors all alone at 3am. They bought DD out and told DH he was to go with her back to the maternity ward. Her temp was low, so they had her wrapped up in winter clothes (in November) a warm blanket sitting under the heat light with DH holding her. He was told I would be back on the ward in 30mins and after waiting another 3 hours, he thought the worst had happened.

I got out of bed on the Monday morning after they took my catheter out and went home Wednesday morning because I'm not fond of hospitals. I'm not quite sure what pain relief I had? I must have had some reaction to something as I had a massive migraine for days though.

You know, it was a month before I even realised that my DH didn't get to cut the cord. It was then I realised that I not only missed out, but he did too.

We had no immediate skin to skin contact, no listening to our child take her first breath as she entered the world, no crying over this beautiful little being we had created together.....just thank god you're alive (from DH) and can I sleep now (from me LOL)
    Poor DH said when they bought DD out in the humidcrib, he looked at her and thought, how do I know you're mine? I didn't even see you enter the world. It things like that, that really hurt.

We had no one come to visit us, probably because they knew we were staying with my parents and would have someone on hand. they did come to the house to remove my staples though. I had a lovely trainee removing them, poor thing was absolutely **** scared and so was I LOL!

Simone - Ouchies at them pushing on your stomach!

Deb - Eew at being sick, that would've been awful for you. Was it a reaction to something you were given for the procedure?

Nic

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast