Hey miss E, with my second cs which was planned, I had a firm birth plan that I went through in detail with my Ob and student mid. I asked for the screen to be lowered to see ds come out. The anesthetist helped me lift my head up so I could see better otherwise it can be a little hard when you're lying flat. I wanted a maternal assisted caesarean and I nearly had ob agree but he was worried about the contamination factor. So he held bub up to me so I could touch his little foot then he was passed to the midwife who dried him off quickly and bought him straight around to me for skin to skin in theatre. To be honest it was a little difficult holding him as the spinal had given me the shakes but dh supported his head and my student mid pulled down my gown for skin to skin and they placed warm blankets over us. He didn't go to the paed table straight away The paed could see he was fine and just kept a watchful eye. I agreed for the mw to take him while I was moved off the table and as soon as they wheeled me in recovery he was actually weighed and measured right there beside me then given back to me for first bfeed and cuddles whilst being wheeled to our room. I had an ob who was a firm believer in the benefits of prompt skin to skin and breastfeeding. And also the hospital I went to was in the process of obtaining their baby friendly certification so were also very mindful about reducing separation.
So all I can say is write a birth plan and discuss this in length with your care providers and make sure they are aware that it's very important to you.
Bookmarks