I guess it's probably easier to deal with the needle when you're in labour and dealing with contractions, like I did with my previous 2. You've got much more time to think about the needle when you're not going in to theatre, already in labour. Hopefully the local will be all that you'll feel. The anaesthetists are usually pretty lovely people and the midwives in theatre are really supportive (not sure what happens to the night staff - usually had 1 or 2 cranky staff at night on the wards).
Maybe let them know how you're feeling and get them to talk to you as it's happening, so you're a bit distracted.
I remember the needle in the back of my hand hurt more than anything (junior doctor did that one) and half way through the c/s, the anaesthetist got sick of me yelling everytime he injected something into it, so he moved it to the wrist. I guess that's what I'm most worried about this time around. I've even told the obs that I won't be letting anybody put a needle into the back of my hand. OMG it hurts so much when people accidentally brush past it. Funny how we're all so different about what gets to us most.
Hope that the spinal is better/quicker that you're anticipating and will be over before you know it.