Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: circumcision

In regards to concerns about looking different, I have never seen two penises that look the same (not that I am an expert!!!). There are many differences from size, color shape etc.

This is just another thing that makes each man/boy different from each other.

Default Circ

I feel compelled to help other parents wanting to get circumcision done especially if they are unable to find a contact for a dr to perform it. I might have some contacts so you are quite welcome to send me a PM.

I dont think it matters what anyone has said or done...its up to you as the parent to consider all aspects of it.

He might never get an infection at all if you keep his f/s on or he could reach 60 and have to have it removed due to medical reasons and lose all sensation in his penis from then on

He could be ridiculalled at school for having a helmet or be annoyed with you that you took something from him later in life

Cleaning a penis with a foreskin takes 2 mins and is something that becomes second nature to boys..they tend to fiddle a bit down their anyway ...makes me laugh cause its almost saying that boys that have been c/s dont have to clean their penis

You have to weigh up the pro's and con's off it....should you take away something that your child is born with and was ment for a reason? Would you circumcise your daughter?

Default circ

Foreskins are there for a reason could it be circumcision?

Do a quick google search for "skin bridges" and you'll see why I never considered circumcising my son, and why my husband didn't want it, either. Don't tell my husband that I'm sharing this information, but I think it's important to know.

My husband has skin bridges and a lopsided penis as a result. His circumcision was too severe and the skin stretches too much when he has an erection. I can flat out say from his experience that circumcision is body mutilation.

I think if your son asks "why is daddy different" and you tell him that daddy had his skin snipped off, your son won't be too sad about having his foreskin intact.

We weighed up the pro's and con's when pregnant with our first son as my side is pro-circumcision and Dh's side is non-circumcised. Dh is not done but wishes he were and in the end I expressed my wish to have our son done but if Dh really disagreed Id forgoe it. If he ever got an infection then I would book him in to get it done no arguement. Dh decided in the end better to do it now when they dont remember than have him ask for it done later on if he has any issues like Dh (Dh was traumatised by his issues related to being non-circumcised so it works both ways). We had him done at 4wks old and he doesnt remember a thing, hasnt even ASKED why he and Daddy look different. We had our second son done at 2wks and our third, due soon, will be done as well.

I personally think its a personal choice and there will always be 'OMG' stories from either side of the argument. Dh and I have both heard more men wish they WERE circumcised, than not circumcised. The only way my sons will have a complex about it is if they are "educated" by anti-circed people.

Let me assure it still pee's the same and engorges the same as a non-circed penis, and Im guessing down the track theyll do just fine in the adult relation department too, because they wont know the difference sensation wise between non-circed and circed.

Good luck!

I recommend reading the multiple pages of information on the Birth website, or from any non-biased source.

I am anti circumcision, but DH is done and said he would want his son/s to be done to look like him. I chose not to make an arguement out of it at the time (I wasn't even pregnant when he said this), but chose to read up on the matter once I became pregnant. I read a book, and I searched the net, including videos on YouTube, so that I had a good defence. Then, instead of confronting DH about it and getting all flustered like I do when I argue, I emailed him asking that he please read the facts on the Birth website, and if he still wanted to do it then we could discuss it, but otherwise I'd assume the issue had been dropped. Thankfully he's never mentioned it since. He's probably also noticed that I've joined a couple of anti-c groups on Facebook, and realised I wouldn't be a walkover on this issue!

So in short - research, research, research!

We had DS done for health reasons. DH is also done. We believe ourselves that its the better option of the two. All the recent studies have confirmed that for us. We also wanted it done at an age our son would not remember. Even though he had no pain, I would hate for him to have to go through it and remember it at a later age. We would not hesitate to have any future sons done also.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaT View Post
    Dh is not done but wishes he were and in the end I expressed my wish to have our son done but if Dh really disagreed Id forgoe it. (Dh was traumatised by his issues related to being non-circumcised so it works both ways).
    My DP was the same and he actually booked himself in to be done when he was 18 (much more painful at that age). His penis looks completely normal (I really like it) and TBH I have never seen an uncircumsised penis (not that I have seen alot)!

I havent really spoken to him too much as to all the reasons that he wanted to get it done. I suppose if we are ever to have a son I would talk to him about it more but we are having a girl (well we better be) so dont have to worry too much about it at the moment.

Sorry maz, you know I love you, but as someone who has had their son circumcised, I find it extremely offensive to equate male circ to female circ. They are not the same, not even comparable.

I would also ask once again, that everyone is respectful to all walks of life, whether you choose to circ or not. Each parent decides what is best for their child, due to their own feelings. And just because those reasons may not seem valid to you does not mean it is wrong.

Ali - good point! Dh considered getting it done as an adult but decided against it as its extremely painful and requires stitches/going under general anaesthetic. I really feel for him because he still has some trouble with it but he just cannot bare to put himself through all that NOW. He spoke to his parents about our decision to do the boys because I felt they should hear from him why we were doing it, he's the one with the penis and the issues. They were fine with it as its OUR decision.

To the OP, just thought I would let you know I have actually seen a circumcision being done (on my Ds2) and I am happy to share my experience with you, although a *bit* distressing Im still glad I had it done. When offered the opportunity to watch I decided if I was going to be pro-circumcision then maybe I should see what Im all for. So I speak from actual experience AND having researched our decision. Like I said before though, in the end its yours and your partners decision and either way I dont think your son will hold it against you whatever you decide

FWIW this topic was started almost a year ago and the OP's son is 9 months old now. I think it would be a safe bet that she has already made up her mind one way or another,.

hi ladies , from a male point of view. having circumision done can be risky . you have to be careful they dont take to much foreskin of , because well the male gets older things start happening . the willy wonker can tear and spilt not nice at all . its up to your decision to have it done , but i have never had it done to my children

I have had DS done and will be getting this child done when he is born too.

For us, DH and I were both in agreement, although if either or us were really opposed to the issue then we probably wouldn't of. We researched both sides thoughly. In the end it was medical concerns (which I won't go into) in both DH's and my own family that convinced us that we choose the right thing for our kids. Our dr who performed it, does them regularly (at least 3 times a week for the past 20 years) and you have to attend an appointment prior to getting it done, so you are aware of all of the pro's and con's and can ask any questions you may have. He was very unbias about the whole thing - which is quite pleasant in a medical professional.

Smile Circumcision

Circumcision is considered by more and more parents to be the right decision. The concerns some parents have I think is the penis becomes desensitised in time and this might be true although I have been circumcised for a long time and I do not notice any desensitisation happening in fact if anything it gets more sensitive to pleasure in my experience. In the past circumcision may removed most of the foreskin but now enough of the pleasure giving foreskin maybe left after circumcision while allowing adequate hygene. What might need to be considered is possible damage due to scaring if the foreskin does not retract later in the uncircumcised, the child being embarassed to talk about the problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12