Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloth Nappies #136

true, I've never thought about it LOL, I thought iwas just cornstarch LOL

Ha ha Sammi - you've come over to the dark side!!

Nelle - umm, oh poop, I've forgotten what I was going to say. Something about pianos. Oh, that's it... scales - I'm pretty rusty as it's about fifteen years since I played piano, but just realised that it's still in motor memory - general finger positioning for two octave scale: right hand: 123 1234 123 12345, then reverse. Left hand: 54321 321 4321 321, then reverse.

Welcome Mamakoala!

FJ - it's hard to tell whether your DH is being deliberately obtuse to get out of changing nappies, or whether he just doesn't get it. You could get him to show you his creations first to make sure they are workable. My DP is pretty good - he asks if I want anything special on, he knows what a night nappy is, and if in doubt (or if I'm not around to ask), he goes for a BumG.

I make my own powder from corn-flour, china clay and essential oils. That's for me though, I don't use it on Euan.

Gigi - glad to hear Bilbybot is better, and hope you get a better night's sleep tonight! I'll rustle up a pink fuzzy bottomed photo as soon as I can - the WC is on the line at the moment, so won't be dry until tomorrow night at the earliest. Darn rain.

FJ, you were saying something a while ago about the fit of the WCDN Plus, and I can't r emember what it was. This is what I just got for Euan. Is it normal that the plus fits him at not-yet-8 months, or is he just ridiculously tall? I am finding that most nappies don't fit him in the rise - I just got cute tooshies a few months ago and they are almost like hipsters on him - if he keeps going the way he is he won't fit anything when he's a toddler. I'll be in trouble if he doesn't TT early!

Oh, and if anybody, anybody feels the desperate desire to offload a large Lotus night nappy - please let me know. Side snapping nappies suit Euan much better than front snapping, and the Lotus store is shut at the moment. I need more night nappies but really want to get him another Lotus.

Gigi, apart from WhizzKids, what other side snapping, fitted night nappies with super-dooper rises are there?

WOHB: Daddy changed - so probably a BumG!

Suse, I find that Isla needs a high rise also, I orginally had a standard size int eh WCDN but sold it on as I was having to pin Isla down to get it on her just right. Then I got the Plus & it was much better.
    So No I don't think its odd that Euan fits the Plus, I think (personally, this isn't a WC statement LOL) that the standard is better suited to up to 6 months or small bubs. The thing is, the nappy was designed by a Mum with a bub who is a pocket rocket. The WC DD that the nappy was used on is 6 months older then Isla, But Isla is taller & probably weighs more then her. She is a little pixi. Also apparently by some freak occurrence all the testers of the nappy where little also. Which is why the PLUS was introduced.
    I bought a standard (bargain on B4B) to add to my Mr Doodle Stash. Not actually for ISla. If I am desperate for a night nappy though, it will fit her. She had it on yesterday & did a crap in it LOL.

As for DH either playing dumb or just being dumb LOL.... I dunno either. Also getting him to show me first wont really help because he doesn't get the doing them either. Its been awhile but he has in the past even put them on backwards which just baffles my mind as how can he look at it & think thats was right? Even back in the sposies age, he never put the on tight enough. I am fussy when it comes to how they are put on. No way in the world would I trust a nappy put on by DH over night, sposie or MCN. I have tried to gently show him the error of his ways but he is so sensitive & easily offended its easier to just do it myself!

eta - I find that the Lotus Night nappies (side snapping) has a nice high rise

FJ - I've named all the shelves in the nappy cupboard so my DH can't get confused... I have name tags for fitteds - which then say afterwards - needs a cover, where the covers are are all named, plus pockets and AIO's.
    That way he can't get confused and say.. duhh.. I didn't know it needed a cover cos it damn well says it does.. LOL

I was going to say something but I've fully forgotten what it was... be glad when this pregnancy brain is over...

ah yes, I do remember readin gthat you did that. I did sort out a little system but no labels, It really is just easier to do it myself. That way I know its on right & am happy. Its the same when putting the seats in the car. I doubt I would even be happy to have a "proffesional' fit them. I know how to do it & I do it well. No one else can do it better then me LOL

Geez FJ don't say that... I haven't installed the baby seat in the car yet, trusting DH to do it when I'm in the hospital... lol I can't possibly squeeze my fat gut into the back of the car anymore.. lol

LOL, I am lucky in that I have the space to climb in my car. Will be different when the baby seat goes in but for now I can swap around the seats fairly easily. Which is good as the kids like to swap places now & then. But once the 4th seat goes back in no one will be playing swapsies!

I should update my belly too actually

Thanks FJ - that makes sense now! Although I think you do qualify as our resident WC expert lol! I agree that the Lotus has a great rise - I should have got a large and not medium because he outgrew it so quickly and the Lotus store is closed atm. I'll have to start stalking B4B.

are you after just side snapping napppies?

FJ - I've noticed that I get a better fit with his side snap nappies in general - I'm finding that I get either wing droop or leg gape (or both) with most of his front snapping nappies (including his d'lish ), the legs aren't quite snug enough but very tight around the middle. So yeah, I am really just going for side snaps ATM because they seem to work best on him. And the little demon has worked out aplix - doh.

re the powder it dosnt seem sticky just seems like normal powder.. you can though make it into a paste for bad nappy rash by adding water and kinda painting it on if the rash is bad.. no affect on the nappies

Gigi - lol at you being worried for 'someone'. And oh yes, oldskool... that's how we roll!

FJ - Wanna have a 'my DH doesn't get MCN' competition?! I wrote a week or so ago that mine managed to put a fleece cover with snaps on inside out (then said 'I thought it was hard to put on' when I told him... *sigh*), but yesterday I walk in to him putting a pre-stuffed (it's just safer that way lol) swaddlebees on BACKWARDS. The kicker is that he'd just taken her out of a damn swaddlebees.... Der!

Maz - Great to hear that the clots are smaller, you must be so happy about that & thanks so much for my fluffy mail! Sooooooo soooooft...... (now I can was my CTs... I have new things to pat lol)

Speaking of swaddlebees, I have had 2 leaks the last 2 times Punky has worn 'em... what is going on?? It's like the insert doesn't cover the whole pocket IYKWIM, but what on earth can I do about THAT?!

Hope there is some sun tomorrow, I always leave the nappy washing until it is too late....!!

WOPB: Bumwear, purty pink.

Christy I never knew you were a double bassist!!!! That is so cool I come from a line of musos (in fact I'm the only one who's not these days ). My little brother is an truly excellent musician, so I live vicariously through him LOL. He has a seriously good life. It's funny you know, he went to the states a couple of years ago to check out the scene over there, and while he loved it he did decide that it would be detrimental to his career to move and lose his contacts, YKWIM. He would still like to go over and move into composing film scores, his ultimate dream

Sorry, completely non-nappy realted girls

Mel, thanks so much, will let you know when it arrives. I'm excited

WOHB: sposie, been at grandma's

On the musical thing - I'm a student of the violin. Not very good yet and it's been sitting there looking at me for about the last 6 months (hard to fit it in with bubs!). I'll be picking it up again soon! Might even go & dabble now... hmmmm

I've ordered some microfleece online tonight for liners. I've now got 14 MCN & about 20 prefolds. Just got to get liners for them all!

Just going to have a quick look around to see if there's any bargains before I brush my teeth (& dabble with the violin) before bed...

I like to sing, we could start a MCN band! LOL Not saying I am good at singing LOL just that I like to sing. I do find my voice is suited to old stuff, like Judy Garland etc LOL Im such a dork!

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

oh Raven, you poor thing. Heightened sense of smell etc in pregnancy. You poor love.

MELHAM - the longies DO replace pj pants. The longies are 100% merino wool, lovely and warm. You put them over a FITTED night nappy (one that doesn't have an waterproofing in it). The longies keep baby dry through you lanolising the wool. So many lovely places sell them, maybe have a look at ozebaby, wahmnaps, wahmania, minicuture, possums pouch and click on woollies or longies.

bilby goes to bed in a long sleeve tshirt (like a spencer) and fitted nappy with longies - i put a very loose cotton sleeping bag over that. We stopped using the polar fleece sleeping bags cos they made her sweat like she was in a sauna. Wool breathes so well, we've tested it out in summer (45 degrees) and winter, works all year around. IN winter we use the longies, in summer we use the soakers (woollies in the shape of a cover).

Nappycino have threads for DIY Knitting, where people discuss all the ins and outs of knitting stuff like longies - what wool is nice, which pattern to use etc.

NOniE - oh sorry hon, i have no washing/drying experience of the SEWN IN dlish, i'm sure someone else here will though.

FJ - my fingers are crossed for your parcel turning up! Your dh is sounding a bit MCN challenged. oh dear. Does this worry you regarding the time you might be in hospital having #4?

Mamakoala - it's really hard to know what you like and what suits your baby, ahead of time. I would suggest you buy a "combination package" from Nurture Nappies or Darlings Downunder - where you get to try a variety of styles, e.g a fitted with cover, an AIO, a pocket etc - so you can start to understand what you like, what suits your bub. I would avoid buying a complete pack of one brand, or one sort - that to me is quite a huge gamble, on something you have not tried before, and don't know if it will suit your bub.

What one person finds best for their bub, won't necessarily be best for every bub.

Not every MCN will suit every bub, or every parent either. Alot about MCN, you can't completely "get" from reading, i think it's quite an "experiential" thing to get your head around all of the concepts, e.g drypailing. I didn't totally believe it until i did it, and proved to myself it actually works.

nappycino and ozclothnappies are two cloth advocacy sites that have a goldmine of info for anyone starting on the cloth journey - terrific sites to bookmark and refer to lots.

the best thing i bought as a newbie to cloth, was a little squirt. It's a watergun you attach to the loo, to get the poo off the nappies. It has made nappy clean up time so easy, i'm so glad we have one.

if you sew or knit, there are MCN items you can make too, free pattern links on nappycino and ozclothnappies.

welcome MamaKoala, and congrats on your jellybean

PINK PALACE
    for rash, few things to consider
    - are you using a sensitive wash powder?
    - are you using HALF the amount you would for a load of clothes
    - what do you clean her bot with at nappy change time?
    - do you entirely dry her bot before putting on next nappy
    - does she have any nappy free time
    - is she teething
    - could she be reacting to ONE fabric? does it happen ONLY with synthetic lined / or liners in the nappies?
    Well, that's what occurs to me, top of my head, for a rash situation. Maybe one of those might ring a bell - i hope so - it's awful when your darling is all sore. We had a dreadful nappy rash situation back in Jan, ended up having to change over to natural fibre inners and use woollies alot more - it's worked really well - but took me a while to figure it out. (lots of lovely people online made suggestions and i tried virtually EVERYTHING i read about!).

I actually put blueberries in bilby's weetbix, but we havne't had a change in poo colour - maybe i use less or something.

NELLE - all cows eat grass? wow, that's excellent! (new to me LOL).

Suse - try emailing Dragonfly Magik about a night nappy - measure Euan's rise - is the Lotus large night nappy 55cm??? and check that the DM is also a similar rise (if that's what you're starting from).

I would definately be working out the rise he needs, add a few cm and before buying ANYTHING from ANYWHERE, check with seller/maker that what you are considering buying, will indeed fit that criteria. Night nappies are an investment, you want to make as sure as you can, that it's going to be what you are after.

How many kg is mr chirpy now?

One front snapper night nappy that has a different snap configuration, thus eliminating the dreaded wing droop situation (those of us that have THOSE shaped bubs, know what i 'm on aboot), is the KKAIO by possums pouch. Worth a look Suse. Bilby is in the medium long (still on the smallest snaps although by weight range, she should really be in the middle). They come in large and XL too.

FJ - Nobody does it....... better
    Baby you're the best
    (channelling that James bond theme toon aka Carly Simon)
    i love billie holiday, nine simone, so i am even more of a dork than you!!!

Queen - where did you get the leaks?
    Did you do all the prewashes for the inserts?
    what is the fit like on her legs?

Nettie - if you are learning the violin, can you play Twinkle Twinkle? I sing that so often, i often wish i could PLAY it instead! save my voice LOL.

WOTBB: Lotus night nappy large (which is still quite generous on her, despite bilby being 11kg now) and woollen longies, inside a loose cotton sleeping bag.

Wow Gigi that post was HUGE!

Nelle, I did music theory in year 12 and play clarinet, sing, have dabbled with a guitar and the piano, not fabulous at any of them but I can write music well I got a 16 out of 20 for year 12 music.

Gigi I think it might be me that is desperate fo nappies, and that is only because I cant afford them right now. Tax return is coming!!!!

Well we are now officially trying for #3, so I am allowed to finish my stash, and the majority of them will be unisex!

Another music nerd here - I studied music (I play trumpet) at the VCA Secondary School but instead of doing my degree at the VCA and going off to Europe never to be heard from again I went and studied psychology with the aim of doing music therapy (it never happened) after finishing year 12. Ali, I won't tell you what I got for year 12 music. . That was a really long time ago. Since then I have played / sang in / produced pub bands that never went anywhere, worked as an audio engineer and studio manager, been a dj and electronic music producer, and play guitar appallingly badly.

We should start a nappy thread band... Ali can write songs for us, I'll produce the album, FJ can sing, and everyone else with instruments can all join in. Whoo hoo. Forget Live Aid, it's Nappy Aid.

Gigi - ta for the tip on DMs - I'll check 'em out. I have a KKAIO - a purple one which used to belong to a certain someone! It's ace, but I use it as a day nappy, it doesn't quite make it through the night for E, and is too purdy to be worn in the dark.

WOHB: boosted Cute Tooshies with wool shorties.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast