Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat nappy discussion

Over the flats (both flannel and Terry) I use Snibs and a those fluffy covers... can't remember their name... BUT you have to use about 1 size larger than your baby... don't buy the smallest size. They actually get better as they get older... at first they are a bit tight. Ahhh wish I could remember their name... maybe "Fluffies". They are still available... essentially undie shaped covers made from very fluffy nylon. Sometimes during the day you can get away without using a Snib... but they are essential at night. I've also been known to use training pants as covers.

From my experience terry flats are better at night (more absorbant) and flannel ones better during the day (not as bulky, better for mobility).

Hi all,
    I am very new to the whole nappy world - due in June and researching at the mo. Just from this thread i have learnt A LOT so thanks to you all. So aside from the whole which nappy, liner, cover etc to use I am actually equally as intrigued about the logisitcs of washing the darn things (the nappies that is!)

So, can you please impat your knowledge to me regarding your strategies to manage the poo - do you go for a liner (if so what type and why), do you put it straight into the machine poo and all, do you soak / drypail? What sort of wachine detergent do you use?
    Is it any different for pre-folds, flats (terry or flannel).

I'm as concerned about water and detergent use as the impact of sposies in landfill, so need to know how you maximise your washing strategies to get the most done with as little water as possible.

Thanks
    Lolly

There seems to be two thoughts on washing nappies.

When my girls were small I put the mess down the toilet, rinsed the nappy and then soaked it in a bucket with napisan
    My daughter uses a method called dry pailing. You put the mess down the toilet them place nappy in a bucket with no water.
    As for washing I washed everyday and put their clothes in with the nappies but with the other way I wouldn't put anything else in with them so you could wash every second day.
    I used liners as it made cleaning the nappies easier. Not sure what is used now but you can make your own using microfibre cut into rectangles.

I would buy good quality covers made from PUL as these breathe. There are plenty of good covers out there.
    The difference between flat & prefold is cost. I used flannel, daughter uses prefolds. There are some really funky ones around in many colours & patterns.

All the best as you go on your nappy adventure for your June bundle.

There seems to be two thoughts on washing nappies.

When my girls were small I put the mess down the toilet, rinsed the nappy and then soaked it in a bucket with napisan
    My daughter uses a method called dry pailing. You put the mess down the toilet them place nappy in a bucket with no water.
    As for washing I washed everyday and put their clothes in with the nappies but with the other way I wouldn't put anything else in with them so you could wash every second day.
    I used liners as it made cleaning the nappies easier. Not sure what is used now but you can make your own using microfibre cut into rectangles.

I would buy good quality covers made from PUL as these breathe. There are plenty of good covers out there.
    The difference between flat & prefold is cost. I used flannel, daughter uses prefolds. There are some really funky ones around in many colours & patterns.

All the best as you go on your nappy adventure for your June bundle.

lollybaby - there's a microfleece available at Spotlight (maybe closer to winter) called Little Additions. It's perfect for liners. It's thin, easy to cut and doesn't require hemming. Everything else tends to be a bit thick. Also, go for white if available. It makes it easier to see if bubs ever has any probs (dark wee etc). In the early days with runny NB breastfed poos, it's easiest to just drypail then chuck the whole lot in the wash, poo and all. You wont be in the mood for scraping or rinsing liners, believe me! Later, when things get a bit stinkier you can drop the poopiness in the loo and then drypail.
    There are flushable liners available (try Bummis Biosoft or Tots Bots...) but you wont get much contained with them in the early stages.
    As for detergents, I dont use any most of the time and I haven't had a problem yet. I use MCN as well as terry flats, and only had to recently do a strip-wash (using a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid) to get rid of the stinkiness from teething, and that was mainly for the microfibre inserts in the pocket nappies tho, not the terry flats. Depending on the fabric you're using (hemp, bamboo, cotton) there are different things you can use (vinegar, bicarb, etc) but most online sellers will provide washing instructions to maintain the life of your nappies. Sunlight is the best sanitiser and stain remover. If I am using a detergent I go for something with no optical brighteners or enzymes, such as Eco Store or Earth's Choice, and don't use much of it. It's safe to use in greywater systems, and there's not as much of a problem for sensitive skin.
    HTH! Good luck with your pg!

Hi there,

I'm new here too and new to the world of cloth on bubba's bum. :-)

I've been using terry flats on my 11 month old DD over the last 2 weeks or so. It has come to the point where I am just finding it too stressful - she pees through them within an hour, and I am needing to change her at least hourly otherwise she get a bright red bum. :-( She is a mega pee-er and I never knew it before because she was always in sposies!

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone has any tips for making flats work for a little miss super soaker like DD?? Should I go for different material (I have noticed in a bamboo fitted nappy she can last around 2 hours and there's no rash)? Or is there a different fold? I am using a fold specifically for girls that provides 6 layers over the front area. Are there other folds people can recommend?

I'm thinking the terry towelling flats I have are not the best quality in terms of absorbency. I had been using them as chuck cloths and general towels for nappy free times etc., but then thought since I already have 24 of them, why not put them to use as nappies... well clearly that's not working!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help... I think bed is in order for me now. :-)

Try the Fleecy Cotton flats from Big W. They're thinner than terry but more absorbent. And since they're thinner you can fold in a booster.

I think I know the fold you're using, you can keep using that same fold and easily add a booster. I use the newborn insert microfibre insert that came with my bum genius nappies, but you could use anything.

Also, I'm not sure from your post, but are you using a cover? You need a cover with flats.

Hi Shellshell

You could try adding a bamboo booster to help with absorbency. I make mine, easy if you have slight sewing skills or know someone who does. Or you can just buy them a see if that helps.

kate

Hi kuraiza and Kate07,

Thanks for your replies! Yes, I have some boosters and inserts from my BBH's that I can use - I have thought about it, but thought that would surely be too much bulk - but kuraiza, that sounds like a good idea to use something less bulky and more absorbent. :-)

Yes, I'm using a cover, thanks for checking... could be quite a mess without one! ;-)

i googled folding when preg and came across some good stuff , but i still use the newborn fold .

my single parent budget didnt strech far in to the mcn thing , so i used cotton in the first 6 months - terry was too bulky on my pudgy but little girl .
    and have used towling since . - covers in the early days i used just plastic plitchers kmart @ under $2 a pair i hadnt discovered all the pretty ones then .

Now i have a few plitchers for around the house , and have the plastic backed ones from target with the pannel of velco across the middle .

i never found saftey pins i could work so i use snappi's too , how ever my 14 month old has worked them out and theres a lot of bare bumming happening in my house .

i have a couple of pretty pul ones i have brought off ebay , but i dont have much fancy stuff , i do buy the jonhson & johnson liners ( Chux type ) .

Nice to see theres flat nappie uses out there too

Questions about Prefolds

I have made a few prefolds for a mate who is pregnant. They used flats for their first child so are interested in prefolds when their new addition is little.

I haven't actually seen a prefold used on a baby. I have just heard about them here and then went exploring for how to make them. Can someone please post a pic of how you fold the bottom corners before it goes on baby? Or if you don't have a pic, just an explanation. I think i have it worked out (practising on a teddy) but want to make sure i am doing it right.

I have another mate who just had a baby and is interested in trying cloth, and so i thought i would make her a couple. I am using bamboo for the absorbent bit, but am getting low on bamboo. Do you think if there was a seam in the bamboo (two bits joined together to make the length) that was within the liner, it would annoy baby?

The bub has a blister they think is from the disposables, so i don't want to do anything to put them off cloth, but would like to get her the nappies asap and can't get more bamboo til the end of the week.

cheers,

Kate

Miss my flat nappy days... my 2.5yo DS is almost toilet trained now... and it's not feasible to put a flat on him that he can't take off (I used pins). And it's such a lovely nappy drying day today... would love to be out there hanging a load on my Hills hoist! Oh well.... keep up the good work girls!!! You're all saving an absolute fortune!!!!

I would also be interested in how to use the prefolds as the nappy rather than just as a booster...

So much to learn!

Have you asked in the nappy-making thread? Or maybe google the nappy lady (uk) for tips.
    To use a prefold as a nappy rather than just as a booster, there's diagrams on the nappy lady wesite, but you can just tuck it into a well-fitting cover. Thirsties and Bummis have a little flap/pocket bit at the front for this purpose, and probably some others too. I just know those do because they're the covers I use.

If you click on my name, go to my 'homepage' which is photos, and then check out the 'Nappies' category, I have one of my world famous 'Instructograms' in there about folding a prefold. There are a million ways to do it though, my dh favours the twist, where basically you just twist the prefold once in the middle. You can make it up, whatever works - and a good cover makes pretty much anything work.

Kate, I replied to your thread, but I use the angel fold from the nappy lady. It is good and adjustable.
    And the motherese riki cover is great for using with prefolds.

Thank you Nelle - that makes it a lot clearer... I had tried somethings when I bought them not really understanding them and I had thought maybe I had figured it out but alas I was still way off!

Thank you again for the 'Instructogram'

Thanks all

I checked out the Nappy lady and Nelle's instructogram. Very helpful. Never knew prefolds were so versatile! I have printed them out to give to my mate with the nappies. I have two small Baby Behind nappy covers for her to try out too.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast