Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat nappy discussion

Hi ladies,

I am using flats during the day but still using disposables at night (which I hate) but I'm worried a terry flat wouldn't last over night. What do you use at night? How do I make a cloth nappy last a bit longer??

Thanks in advance!

We used to use terry flats at night (and flannel flats during the day) and we boosted the terry flats with an extra rectangle of double thickness terry fabric which had been sewn together as well as the nylon liner. I recall that system working. My DD was bulky but it didn't matter at night when they don't need mobility. We used Big Fluffies pilchers as well... a few sizes bigger than the rest of her clothes. This was back in 1995. I didn't use MCNs or disposables at all.

hipppiemum, we couldn't use a terry overnight (even with extra booster) cause my boy just wees so much! We use night nappies (MCNs), which work better than disposables (for us anyway). Great with a wool cover.

ETA - although, when he was little (ie, up to around 10 weeks) and pooed all the time, we did use flats overnight since he needed changing so often anyway.

money is really really really tight at the moment.. I've got some bamboo terry and fleece, microfleece and 5m of nappy flannie... doing some prefolds for a newborn and was wondering if it would be enough to have:

flannie
    bamboo (strip in the middle)
    flannie

Should I have a double strip of bamboo in the middle or would a single layer be enough?

Could I get away with having a flannie booster in the middle instead?

Just trying to stretchout the budget and the fabric and use it in the most economical way.

Appreciate any thoughts you can send my way.. I've made 4 prefolds already - only another 20 to do!

For night time I use Big Softies fleecy cotton flats with a BG newborn insert folded inside and any PUL cover. It works pretty well but I'm not sure it would last for more than 6 hours, not a problem for me since Jude wakes up every 3 hours.

That should be fine as long as you have a good cover. All my girls had when small were flannel as that and terry were the only option, it just meant you changed them more often. For night I just used 2 nappies folded together. For awhile I used the kite fold then changed to a fold that added bulk in the centre as it was better for absorbency.

Thanks for your help. I'm still not sure what to do because he is starting to sleep longer so I don't want him to start waking up because he is wet. Who knows!

Tarkine - for a little newborn, just flannie would probably be ok. You could save the bamboo for boosters and add as needed.

Hippiemum - just play it by ear and see how you go

Ive bought some flannel nappies for when bub is a newborn.
    I have no idea how to fold it though, having only used MCNs and disposables.
    Are there diffrernt folds for boys and girls, or are they all the same?

Rayray, from memory there are different folds for boys and girls. Oz cloth nappies have some information on them. I've just had a quick look on you tube and there are some instructional videos (which I'll be looking at).

Lingling Guest

Hey, I'm new here. I registered because of this thread. ^_^

Anyway, I have a question: are all terry flats made equal? I like the look of the Big Softies brand I've found in Target. Are they worthwhile using? Or is there another brand that I should be looking at?

Also, for covers for new borns (I'm due on the 1st of March), I like the look of the BBHs and the Bummis SuperBrites. I also read on this forum that a wool cover isn't worthwhile for newborns. So should I just buy 4 or 5 PUL covers in small for when he's a newborn?
    (Just for reference, this is going to be a big baby. His parents are 6 feet and 6'4" :S)

Do I need to get doublers or liners? Or will I be okay using another terry nappy folded up?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome to BB Lingling

Just to answer a few of your questions:

I guess there could be differences in quality between terry flats... I'm not sure how you could compare besides examining the fabric closely though... shame terry towelling doesn't specifiy a "thread count" like sheets! My mother made most of ours. She worked in a fabric shop at the time and I would have imagined she would have chosen the thickest towelling. You usually "get what you pay for" with fabric... maybe the most expensive is the best in the case of flats . I recommend Snibs (like they use in hospitals) for a newborn as part of the covering system... available at most chemists.

Default Can you measure your flat nappy dimensions for me please?

Hi girls,

Thanks so much for all your chatter in this thread - I've learnt an absolute truck-load about nappies.

I am planning to buy some bamboo baby terry cloth and possibly also some bamboo fleece to make up my own flat and pre-fold nappies. Just wondering what the best dimensions are for the whole nappy and for the pre-fold insert bit? and whether it matters all that much?

I have been reading on the net and some of the dimensions I've come across are:
    28x33cm
    56x56cm
    45x50cm

There seems to be a bit of difference - I have a couple on order now (as part of trial packs etc) with various PUL covers in newborn sizes but I'm trying to work out how much material to order so I can get started!! The clock is ticking down to my EDD and I need to get going while I still feel motivated

Ta!

Kaz, my flats are 14 years old and so probably a bit stretched (or maybe shrunken!) however I've randomly grabbed a flannel (one with the thin blue stripes on the edge) and terry flat... their dimensions are:

Flannel: 65 x 72cm
    Terry: 65 x 65cm

Both have worked fine for all 3 of my children. Like I said, my mum made my terry flats. She also made a heap of boosters with scraps of double folded towelling. They range in size but hover around the 18 x 30cm mark... some smaller some larger.

My sizes seem larger than what you have found but maybe this explains why I have been able to use my preferred "newborn fold" for a lot longer than most parents.

Thanks heaps Bath. I am leaning towards going larger so they last longer as the baby grows.

Yep, I think 65cm square is a good size. HERE'S a photo of one of my flannel flats folded into the newborn way. It lasted well over 6 months for all my 3 babies... but they weren't chubby. I use old fashioned safety nappy pins too which puts people off but I found to be the most reliable fastener.

Thanks Bathsheba! That's a great pic. I just love the look of flat nappies....there's something innocent and unprocessed about them that is just really appealing. I can't wait to have them all fluttering on the line!

I own one (lonely!) old fashioned safety pin that must have come from my mother years ago. The idea of using them doesn't freak me out because I know it's what mum used on me and I turned out ok

Bath - what covers do you put over your terry flats? I have a few prefolds at the moment, for use as a newborn, but would love to use terry flats as bubs gets bigger. Really trying to save $$.

Also I got a pattern from spotlight for a cover (the shape of underpants). I notice that the trend is for the velcro T shaped covers. Just wondering what people's experience is with both types of covers.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast