Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat nappy discussion

olimoo,
    if you need help with covers, what sort etc, pop into the cloth nappie forum section. They are a wealth of info.
    kuraiza,
    If you have a pack of Big Softies get the phone number or email address of the pack and contact them direct. If not, next time you are shopping write the info down and then contact them.

It was a bit weird, there wasn't any information on the pack that I bought, but that's where I read about the poster. I searched online and found a contact email on the website, so I contacted them and they said they'll pop it in the post today. Hope it's got some nice pictures for the hubby and I.

Girls,

I am so glad I found this thread.. It is nice to know that others out there use the old fashioned style... I am guilty of using disposables, but when I am home, I can't justify the money for each one in my own mind.. The details on the nappy lady for folding was so helpful.. (I really need to get a life for a sat night, and not get excited about folding nappies ). Maybe next weekend when DH isn't working

Now I just have to work on covers..

Default What covers do you use with flats?

Hi all! I'm slowy getting my head around all this 'nappy stuff'!

I wanted to know what covers everyone uses with flats?? I've got some PUL covers for during the day, but not sure whether to go fleece or wool for night. What do you think?

Any advice would be great!

Just joining this group... I'm starting to use my cloth flats again now that the weather is warming up and making them easier to line dry (I don't tumble dry them, defeats the purpose in cost saving).

I use old fashioned pins, re-usable nylon (triangular) liners and either snibs as a cover or fleecy covers.

Oh I use both terry and flannel flats.

I use a mix of terry flats and MCN pockets/AIOs because sometimes I can't decide between old-school and new-school! Sometimes I use a mix of the two - a colour terry flat with a black Berryplush cover, just for fun... when bubs is a bit older I'll give wool and fleece a go for night time. Still not sleeping thru (argh!).
    Hippiemummy - in the early weeks, IMO stick to PUL covers and/or snibs with flanny flats or prefolds. Wool needs to be handwashed, and when you're changing bubs every couple of hours it really isn't worth it! Wait till a bit later, when bubs is sleeping longer between changes. My advice is look for gusseted legs on the PUL covers - they're great for NB poo containment! (TMI? you'll see soon enough ) Some of the covers might seem expensive at first, but the better ones are well worth it when it means you don't have to be wasting time and energy washing baby, clothes, bedding, everything because of leaky covers.

NaNa-Thanks for that info! I have some Tots Bots PUL covers, so I will use them, I just thought that you couldn't use them overnight, but your right I'll be changing him so often at the start it won't matter! Thanks for you help!!

I love my terry flats! I use them with a bamboo or hemp booster, a snappi and a PUL cover. I use MCN's as well but mostly for day naps and going out.

I had a snappi clip thing but I never got the hang of it... it just never worked... just fell off. They don't work at all on flannel flats... but people I know have had success using them with terrys. Nah, to me they just seem a bit too "new fangled" LOL Give me the security of a good old fashion pin any day. Tip: to make sliding the pin easier through all that cloth try sliding it through your hair, close to your scalp, beforehand. It's an old wives trick that I think is based on adding a bit of the hair's natural oil to the pin. Works for me and I don't have particularly oily hair either.
    Last edited by Bathsheba; October 1st, 2008 at 05:59 PM.

I believe you have to stretch the snappis before you use them. The directions say to stretch them gently until they can extend to twice their length. They go a bit floppy after that. But I haven't used them yet, soon soon.

yeah, I remember the instruction said to stretch them.... maybe I didn't stretch it enough? It didn't say twice the length... but this was back in 1995... maybe they have improved since then? BTW I'm still using the same batch of 20 nylon liners as I did back then!!! 3 babies later!!! talk about re-usable!!! HERES a photo of one in my gallery.

I tried using pins for a while, because I didn't think the snappi would work on flannel, but a dad told me a horror story about piercing something he shouldn't have... and seeing as my DP's a tad clumsy, I tried the snappi immediately anyway, for the sake of my little DS! Turns out it worked, sort of! Well enough for the short time I used flannel before moving on to terry flats. I have been using the same snappi for a couple of months now, and no problems at all! It does help to stretch it a bit first. DP still managed to hurt himself with it, and they're no fun if you stand on one with bare feet! But the pins are still handy if I need them. Apparently, another trick to get the pins to slide thru fabric easier is to stick them into a bar of soap. Same deal with the oils or something.
    Bathsheba - where'd you get them liners?? They sound great!
    kuraiza - not long now!!
    mis_tree - Seth's going to have the cutest bubble-butt!

My nylon liners: My mother gave them to me. She works in a hospital and I think she either nicked them or bought the same kind of thing herself. It's what they used where she worked anyhow. I have heard that Big W stocks them but have never seen them anywhere myself. They are the best! The best non-slip liner I have ever used and keeps baby's butt nice and dry.

Wow. I am having trouble finding reusable liners. Ones I have found seem a bit pricey to me. I went to Spotlight but I was overwhelmed (never been there before) and I found microfleece but no plain old white or cream colour.

Maybe I'll go back and just get something with teddy bears on it and cut it up for liners. I just didn't know how Spotlight works. Do you take the big roll of material off the shelf and carry it to the checkout, or do you ask for assistance? Obviously I'm not carrying a big heavy roll around the store, but not being a sewer I don't know what to do in a store like that.

Quote Originally Posted by kuraiza View Post
    Wow. I am having trouble finding reusable liners. Ones I have found seem a bit pricey to me. I went to Spotlight but I was overwhelmed (never been there before) and I found microfleece but no plain old white or cream colour.

Maybe I'll go back and just get something with teddy bears on it and cut it up for liners. I just didn't know how Spotlight works. Do you take the big roll of material off the shelf and carry it to the checkout, or do you ask for assistance? Obviously I'm not carrying a big heavy roll around the store, but not being a sewer I don't know what to do in a store like that.
    Yeah you normally just take the roll to the counter, but I'm sure if you asked, they would carry it for you. I still have to get to Spotlight to get some mircofleece. Do you think they have it all year round or is it a 'winter' thing??

Pins: in all my 14 years of changing nappies I have never stabbed my children with a nappy pin. It's easy to first make sure that you don't go ALL the way through every layer of fabric... you kinda slip your fingers in so that there is one layer protecting he baby's skin. I have slightly pr!cked myself... but never drawn blood. I think the stabbing concern is more worrying due to it's graphic quality... you don't stab it directly at the baby's skin anyhow... you slide it from the side... you just don't angle it perpendicular enough to stab the baby... dunno LOL well that's been my experience anyhow Pins are great. But avoid the ones with plastic sheaths.... go for the ones with metal sheaths like the old fashioned ones... better quality. I have a nice classic pastel set... pale pink, pale blue and white painted metal caps (sheaths) that cover the pin's end.

I only used pins with a safety head when my girls were babies as thats all there was. The pin in the soap and through the hair really works. I used reusable liners, they were made out of a type of material gauze (If that makes sense) and cut into a triangle. Must see if I still have it or given it to my DD to try on her kids. We also had another sort that were made out of a material similar to chux wipes which worked really well and we washed them until they fell apart, but they worked and were really good for dirty nappies. I agree with Bathsheba re the pins, they last forever, I still have some!!!

My dad said to me that I should get a pack of chux wipes and cut them up for liners... And he went on to say that the liners they used to use looked just like them! I just use microfleece...

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast