Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat nappy discussion

pegasus Guest

What's the pad fold?

Butterflykisses Guest

Hi guys i have a question- with my first two i used terry cloth nappies , with a bobaby liner and a "fluffies" cover- unfortunatley u cant seem to buy bobabies any more or the fluffies cover, do u know of anything that is similar??
    Butterflykisses

I wanna make some bamboo flats, how do I go about it?

Do I make them out of bamboo double sided terry or can I get away with bamboo fleece?

I've only ever seen bamboo fleece for sale, only ever seen bamboo terry in one store and considering I'd like to buy a fair bit (at least enough for about 36-40+ nappies to cover Tassies rainy weather) and it was extremely $$$, it was at the bamboofabric store ... does anyone know where I could get the double sided bamboo terry cheaper???

Looking for flats not prefolds ... I don't think I'd get prefolds dry quickly where I live, don't have a dryer (don't really want one!) and things get quiet "mildewy" if they're not dried fast ...

Looking forward to hearing replies from all you sage wise ones ....

Diva I know what it's like over there re the dampness so you have my sympathies!

Depending on how much of the bamboo terry you want to get, I'd email the store owner and ask for a bulk purchase price. It wouldn't hurt

Besides bamboofabricstore I'm not really sure where you could get it besides the USA. I'll have a browse around for you though hopefully someone else might know!

Thanks for that Raven ... that'd be a huge help.

I was looking at the Snaps Australia bamboo fleece ... do you think they'd be alright for flats or would they be too big and chunky???

Whilst I adore the bubblebutt look, it's not really practical with clothes, car seats, yada, yada, yada ...

Our 7 week old has been in terry flats from the start, which I find are great, as she is a huge wetter already! But my q is how do you go about fitting age-appropriate clothes over them? In a terry, her body suits and pants have to be size 000 already - however, on the rare occasion she ends up in a sposie, her clothes then become huge on her - her pants often fall off! Is there a trick to making the nappy less bulky? We either do the triangle with the big padding in the middle or the kite fold with the sides folded in, as we've found this is best to avoid leakiness. How do you all go with clothe sizes over terries?

uh what? I'm so confused and I thought I had this all figured out.

How much are store bought flannel flats and where do you buy them????
    You can't use a snappi with store bought flannel flats?
    What's this eenee snib? Where do you buy it?
    How many PUL and wool covers do you recommend in newborn size?

Am I the only person who is drowning in all this cloth nappy stuff?

Hi Kuraiza, can answer a couple of your questions,

There's nothing for snappis to grab onto with flannel nappies

I would recommend at least 2-3 covers in each size (ideally 4 really), though newborn size wouldn't last too long. If you get adjustable small size ones - eg, Motherease Rikki - then they'd probably last longer (the ME Rikki x-small will last quite a while and will fit a newborn). For eg, I have 4 PUL and 2 wool that I use at the moment. Def need 2 wool at least so you can alternate them. For newborns, though, you tend to change them more often so don't really need wool ones to begin with, they're better for when they go longer between changes overnight.

SammyRo - we have the same issues. Sometimes iwth night nappies on we actually can't do up the crotch studs . We just live with it and stick him in a sleeping bag at night so hopefully he won't get drafty.

Sorry Diva I couldn't remember where this was posted Thought it must have been in the nappy making part!

The only bamboo terry I have been able to find elsewhere is at fairy fabrics but it is the baby terry. I've seen this stuff. It will work but it's got a fine pile and not thick like a towel. I know Maz has made prefolds from it.

The bamboo from snapsaustralia is really good and is the stuff that I've co-opped before. You could make flats or prefolds with an extra layer down the middle easily.

Sammy there is not much you can do about it unfortunatley Even at almost 2, if I put Caleb in a sposie his pants fall down and he gets around like a gansta rapper.
    The trimmer MCN are less bulky than the flats if you are interested in going down that route (I'm guessing not ) As she gets bigger you may find you can put her back into previously grown out of stuff though as long as it's not the length she has grown out of!

Hey Kuraiza!
    I use a snappi with flannel flats, and although it doesn't grab as easily as terry, it still works. But I'm just not good with pins and sharp things down there... You can get flannel and terry flats from KMart and Target for fairly cheap, but it may take some hunting around in the baby section. It's usually a mess, and where they keep the flat nappies is somewhat neglected IYKWIM... Also, most online nappy stores have flats. At KMart I got a pack of 6 for around $10, but the fluff! My goodness, it took weeks to get rid of all the excess fluff! (They were Fluffies brand!) I was flicking a snowstorm off my balcony with every wash... But they work great, and I use them with Thirsties or Bummis covers. The gusseted legs on the Thirsties covers work great to contain those newborn explosive poos. Can't beat flats for drying time, and considering how often you need to change a newborn, it's vital. I got 24, but I'm in Melbourne with a winter baby, and they're great for chuck cloths anyway.
    Eenee snibs can be bought from the eenee website, and some IRL stores. I got one but never really used it. Once was enough, and I hated it. But that's me. It's a small breathable PUL cover for newborns, to be used over a flanny flat or with an Eenee biodegradable/flushable pad. It ties up at the front, which I found awkward. I thought I had put it on wrong at first, but it's just the wrong shape for my baby's bum! Moved onto extra-small size Thirsties covers and they still just fit and bubs is 6kg now. Just started with the small size now, which will last a lot longer I think.
    Most online nappy stores also do 4-packs of PUL covers, which are worthwhile. It's a good number to have, and you wont need wool covers for a while, as marcellus said. The other eenees products seem great in theory, but I'm not a huge fan...
    Hope that helps!
    You're not the only one... but just try and stay away once you get hooked on MCN!

SammyRo,
    I used cloth when my girls were small and had the same problem when I put them in a sposie. I found putting a cover over the sposie made the area a bit more bulky. Have also found that Pumpkin Patch pants don't fit that well over cloth nappies

SammyRo,
    I used cloth when my girls were small and had the same problem when I put them in a sposie. I found putting a cover over the sposie made the area a bit more bulky. Have also found that Pumpkin Patch pants don't fit that well over cloth nappies
    Last edited by Rivlas; September 1st, 2008 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Double post for some reason

Hi all,

DS is almost 14 months and after 6 months of disposables, and not having a clothes dryer, I have decided it's time to go back to cloth.

So I have a few questions and sorry if they have been asked before.

Firstly, what would be the best fold to use on my boy? And directions if possible please!
    Also, what sort of boosters, inserts would be best?
    Lastly, I have just ordered some Babybeehinds covers? Are these good? Any other reccomendations would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Google the nappy lady (dot co dot uk I think) for nappy folds - you'll find something there suitable for your son. With diagrams!
    Are the boosters and inserts for flats? Or are you thinking of getting some pockets? Bamboo and hemp are the most absorbent fabrics, but take longer to dry than microfibre.
    Baby Beehinds covers are great, some others are Bummis, Imse Vimse, Thirsties, Tots Bots... really, there are heaps and you might want to check out the wahmnaps site for Mazalicious. There's also some great online stores with really helpful info like nurturenappies (dot com dot au) and darlingsdownunder (great products too!), and also there's a sticky in the forum by Nelle which will answer pretty much everything! Welcome back to cloth!

Do a google search for "the nappy lady". This is a UK web site but it's a great resource for nappy folds with pictures (because it's hard to describe origami in words).

The site is a little hard to navigate. Go to the Advice section and look down the list for the link where it says "If you're looking for information on how to use specific nappies, including terry folds information, go to this page"

NaNa - I am glad to be back Love the look of a cloth bummed baby, not to mention all the other bonuses! Thanks for all that info. Using flats but may look into getting some prefolds, maybe the kissaluv??

kuraiza - thanks for the instructions regarding the site!
    Last edited by razzle; September 2nd, 2008 at 11:21 AM.

olimoo - oooh, go to nurturenappies and tell 'em I sent ya! but don't blame me if you find yourself hopelessly obsessing over minky, squishy cute things or blowing your grocery money on the most gorgeous fluffy things for your boy's bum!
    I'm just folding flats like a prefold for my bubs, but he's still only little. I luv my rainbow terry flats, and it's a strangely satisfying thing to have them all hanging on the line in the sun! Most of the time he's in a Bum Genius pocket, though.

kuraiza - you're right, that site is a bit tricky. We must've posted at the same time. Great minds think alike, but I've got mush-brain from no sleep, so I wont include myself in that statement!

No I wouldn't be included in that statement, either.

I'm trying to get my hands on the Big Softies Nursery Poster that supposedly has 8 handy nappy folds, but I'm not sure where to get it. I thought it would be good for DH to have a good visual tool. Has anyone seen it?

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast