Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Help for New Users!

srnjlouw Guest

Default what is a good nappie

i need help i am looking for a nappie that is good in the absorbency and is not bulky i am looking at the Bamboozles, mother ease one size, Kissaluv contours, Kissaluv coloured nappies, Dream Eaz, Baby Kangos & Pea Pods. is there any one out there that can give me advise on any of the nappies that i have mentioned above. how the absorbentsy are and if they are bulky or not and what you have experience on those nappies. hope that there is someone out there that can help me.
    it feels for me like i am hitting a regarding chosing a good nappie. o yes also a nappie that does not give nappie rashes.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi srnjlouw,

Sorry i don't have alot of advice on those particular nappies you mentioned but a few general tips that might help.

Sized nappies, ie S M L will be generally trimmer than a one size fits all/most. The trimmest nappy we have is an ittibitti.
    In regards to nappy rash- we have only just had our first ever nappy rash and it was from teething. But to avoid nappy rash you need to keep the toosh dry. So changing often and using a stay dry layer close to bum.
    microfleece and suedecloth next to baby's bot act as a stay dry layer. Alot of nappies have this as the layer closest to bum, but if they don't you can make your own liner by just cutting up some microfleece from a fabric store. (It's easy as no sewing required just cut strips!)

Pocket nappies, bumG and blueberry are popular, i have these two and find them great. I have heard great things about pespods.

My baby is screaming out for food! I am sure Nelle will pop in later today with more tips.

Hey Srnjlouw.

Ange is right about trimness - what age bub are you looking to nappy? One size can be bulky - for example, the Baby BeeHinds Bamboo (which are one size) would be very bulky on my 4 week old, but my 19 month old is wearing one right now and it's very trim - because he's bigger.

I've not tried most of those nappies. Have tried the Peapods, I didn't find them to be the world's most absorbent - I tended to use them at home for 3 hours at a time or so and they were great. I didn't trust them for out and about, but for the price I found them a pretty good house nappy.

I love Bamboozles. We only have one, and for newborns it's the one I reach for first because it's so trim. The only thing that's held me back from buying more is the price...but I'm seriously tempted at the moment. I really found them to be a great nappy.

Pretty sure I've heard people like Kissaluvs for newborns, though as bubs get older they need to be boosted - that's just what I think I've heard though!

Nappy rash, in our experience has been caused by poo, so we tend to avoid it by changing bub when we notice a poo! With those toddler teething poos though, it's hard to avoid, cloth or disposables - that poo is toxic!

Catriona77 Guest

Default help for a newbie

Hi all. Even after all the researching and reading all the great info on this website plus many others, I am still a little confused.
    My baby boy is due in July, and I have ordered the full time Baby Beehind package, 6 bumgenius 3.0 (still waiting for the packages to arrive).

Then I read somewhere that flats are better for newborn as you need to change them A LOT, and flats will dry faster, while the bamboo of BB will take much much longer. Seeing as its going to be winter, I went and bought 12 flannel flats, and 12 terry toweling flats JUST IN CASE!!

So my questions are
    1) do you think i have enough nappies. In an ideal world, I would be washing every 2nd day but who knows what will happen when bub is here?
    2) I believe I have 5 PUL covers (small) wtih the Baby beehind - is that enough for the new born stage?
    3) What do you use to "pin" the flats? I read that with a newborn, you can just "fold" in a particular way and just use the PUL cover to hold everythign together? OR based on your experience, it is better/safer to "pin" the flats - i.e. with snappi?
    4) and lastly, I know that BB and BG are MCN so dry pailing is fine. But what about for the flannel and terry flats= are they ok to just dry pail or do I need to soak them?

I think that's all the questions I have for the time being. If anyone can help me, I would be very very grateful.

Hey Catriona. I really should be asleep, but hey, gotta live a little. :P

1) Depends how often you wash! I have...um...a lot of BBH's, maybe 11 Tots Bots (that fit a nb), at least 6 BumG's, prefolds, flats, a couple of other bits and pieces...and I often *just* get a nappy on Si's butt, because I wash when the moon is blue and jupiter aligns with saturn and the wind is blowing from the west (ie, I'm very lazy).
    You might find yourself a bit short of nappies in those first days/weeks depending on how big bub is, and how they're shaped. My #1 was easy to nappy as a nb, chunky thighs, #2 had skinny chicken legs til about 3-4 weeks, so the flats/prefolds were tricky before then, and the BBH's seemed too bulky til about 5 weeks. So we supplemented with sposies in the first weeks. It's worth considering anyway in those first weeks, til you get back on top of washing.
    You will quickly figure out if you need more nappies. And if a nappy doesn't fit, try it again the next week, that's how fast babies grow.

2) Kinda the same, depends how much you wash. 4-6 covers sounds good. You can always rinse PUL covers if you have some in the wash and need a clean one really soon. For the nb stage I love covers with gussets (like Tots Bots), allows for a snugger fit at the legs.

3) You can use pins for flannelettes, or just tuck them (like you do with a towel after a shower). Your terries can be pinned, tucked or snappi'ed. You might find the terries a bit bulky on a small baby til a few weeks.

4) I dry pail everything. I'm learning that the thing about a wet weather baby is that stains are taking slightly longer to vanish due to less sun. I still dry pail though, most stains are gone, and the moment there's a sunny day, the stains will disappear.

Sorry if this is rambly and confusing, I'm very tired and almost falling asleep as I type. If I make no sense, I'm sure someone will come in to sort you out properly.

Just happen to be cruising around and found this thread - phew! Nelle - you have hidden talents!

I think I'm all inspired to try folding some nappies (got terry flats) and see how big they are on DS now (he's only wittle) so I can get some practice in for a week or so's time when we're out of disposables.

The problem I'll have is that DS has chicken legs and no bum (or a little bum) so I'm sure I'll have fun with keeping cloth nappies on him safely!

Think I'll just go out and buy a few differnt types of MCN to give them a try...

Great thread Nelle - good work!

Oy yoy yoy.. this is too much for my sick-preggo brain to comprehend I think!!!!

This thread is amazing - way to go Nelle.

So after reading all of it (yes at once) I'm guessing my best bet will be to get all in one type things for DS (16 months) mainly because he goes to day care and gets looked after by grandparents, who are all used to disposables now.. would hate to confuse them!! And get like one size fits all type of thing? And some.. uh. pre folds? for the newborn until big enough to go into the one size all in ones? christ, i'm confusing myself just writing this. Yup. direction is needed!!
    Thanks so much to Janie for pointing me in the direction of this thread..

Nettie, for flats or prefolds, if you have a good fitting cover, then don't stress, because if some poop sneaks out the flat then the cover can catch it! At the moment we like our Motherease Rikki covers (not the cheapest though) and our Tots Bots size 1 covers. They both have gussets at the legs which allow for a snugger fit. I think Bummis do a cover with gussets too.

I've found BumG one sized pocket to be pretty grandparent/dh-friendly if you pre-stuff them so they're ready to go. Once they're pre-stuffed they're as easy as an AIO or disposable! I've found they fit newies pretty well too!

ok so if i get pocket nappies - i can get different brands, and some will be one size fits all and some won't ? is that correct? can you just stuff any brand with any .. stuffing? And the pocket nappies don't need a cover on the outside? is that right?

in short (cos I'm feeding) - yes! :P

ok. so pocket nappies would probably be best for me - or AIO's - and some are dependent on size and some aren't. So let me sum up what I THINK I'm getting through my thick skull
    Pocket nappies are good because they are quick drying, don't need an outer cover and can be shoved with as much stuff to suit childs needs - and can come in one size fits all or sized to fit.
    AIO's - are good because they don't need an outer cover OR an insert but take longer to dry and come sized to fit.
    Am I on the right track? I'm feeling a little bamboozled..

Thanks Mel for all your questions - they were what I would have asked. Now I'm all clear too! I reckon pockets might be a good idea.

Uh oh... DS is waking up... better run!

Yep you're definitely right. Coming into winter, I know I'll appreciate the pockets, since they'll dry quickly on a clotheshorse, and since inserts/boosters have no elastic, they can be tumble dried if they need a hurry-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    Yep you're definitely right. Coming into winter, I know I'll appreciate the pockets, since they'll dry quickly on a clotheshorse, and since inserts/boosters have no elastic, they can be tumble dried if they need a hurry-up.

Nelle, you've summed up exactly what I love about pockets!

Mel, you're welcome, enjoy the world of cloth! When you feel brave enough, feel free to drop into the cloth nappy thread and get sucked into the silliness Beware though, those girls will lead you down a dangerous path of temptation

JANIE- I have no idea what your talking about LMAO

Yes I am starting to appreciate pockets more and more too

Oh come on Maz, you're one of the ring leaders

OK well I think I have made up my mind on what I will be testing first!! I have my eye on a couple of pockets on ebay (and i figure if i don't like them they were only $15) and I think for nighttime I will try to ecobumz from canada. Definitely will be looking at more brands though - I didn't realise they were sooo cute!!!!! what have I been doing for the last 16 months.. I musta been crazy!!!!

Catriona77 Guest

Default Baby Beehinds wool covers

Ok, so I have washed all the nappies.
    I am not game enough to wash the PUL and wool covers yet. But will get to it when the weather is nicer on Monday/Tuesday.
    With the wool covers , you have to lanonised it? I saw Lansinoh - but on the package it says its for breastfeeding?? Is this the correct product? Its about $18+ for a small tube?

Oh, I have also recieved my bumgenius 3.0, but not game enough to wash it yet. I will wait for my bub to arrive to try it on for size then go from there. I believe I have enough nappies to last me a few days!

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast