Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Help for New Users!

yeah I'd say so. Newborns are pretty easy at the beginning - can't recommend prefolds and a good fitting cover enough!!!! Plus you are changing them all the time anyway cos they poo so often, that you don't need to pay lots of money for a really absorbent nappy - which are often the most expensive ones!!!!
    I've found that my prefolds were excellent in the early days, and now - I love things like Itti Bittis on her - or just other fitted nappies from WAHM's...

JMO of course

i was gonna pop in and ask about flats and covers and things a bit later - the baby bonus will be our house payment while i'm on leave (well, one week of it!) so i want to have all this stuff budgeted now while we have spare cash. if it means it's in a seperate account until after Gremlin arrives, that's fine - i just want to hide it from DH so that i'm not scrambling for dollars later!

Nelle has a point - I spent that much cos I don't sew - and I didn't have a lot of flats at the beginning - so had to buy up big - when there were no specials - so I could have DS in full time cloth.

Its only money right? LOL

that DH doesn't realise that I spent another $300 today on nappies.. pmsl..

i don't own a sewing machine so i'm out on the sewing front - was pricing just flat nappies (think they were terry ones) the other day - they're not that cheap - but at least they can be dried in the drier! i looked at prefolds too - they look "interesting" - i'm kinda wondering if they would be less useful long term (they don't look like they'd be great spew rags!)

Ahhhhhh but you can use them as boosters/inserts for other nappies BG

ahhhhh i didn't think of that! that's what you lot have to help me out with!

They're brilliant spew rags. I use them before I use flats.

I never used mine as spew rags....

OK !! I have just read the entire thread and Nelle, in particular, you are AMAZING wealth of knowledge for so many mums and mums to be!! You really deserve a Belly Belly medal !

My situation is a newborn coming in Jan. I am inspired to use something other than disposables and from what I have read is it correc that:

1st question: Prefolds are best for newborns? I have some cotton and terry flats from #1 bub but no really interested in the folding......can I cut these up to use as liners ????

2nd question: what brands are AIOs and what brands are Pocket nappies??

3rd: I am still very confused about the difference between AIOs and pocket..........do either need a cover???? or do only prefolds and flats need a cover? Sorry !!

4th: it seems that others have said Bumgenious is good for newborns..pocket or AIO?

Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions!!!

I had my baby and after aaallll my careful preparation he's too small even for disposable nappies. His wee leaks out the sides of any nappy when he moves his legs. The covers I painstakingly researched and bought are gigantic on him and even a flannie flat is like trying to wrap him in down-filled blanket.

I hope he gains some weight soon.

opps - seems I may be confused about prefolds after reading things on the nutrue nappy website - prefolds still require folding and snappies or pins? is that right?

I am interested in something that is already 'shaped like a nappy' for newborns, but some have said that SOME pocket nappies and AIOs are not so suitable for newborns. In an ideal world - would like something that can be used from newborn to Toliet training stage...... !!

Is the AIO bumgenious a good option for newborns and beyond?
    To be honest, for th first 2 weeks I may use disposables, THEN do AIOs or pockets..
    hope this makes sense.

If you want something that will suit newborn to toddler, than you'll be best with an OSFA (one size fits all). I use Baby Beehinds Bamboo fitted. I have used them with Emily (my baby) since she was 2 weeks old, and my eldest dd has just toilet trained, and I had her in them 24/7.
    The AIO's I've used (baby beehinds & itti bittis) don't require a cover.

Hope that helps some.

Kuraiza, I feel your pain My DS weighed 5lbs1oz born, and had the skinniest little chicken legs! And he took aaaages to gain weight. Sposies were useless on him, the only thing that worked the first few weeks was flanny flats with an eenees snib. What sort of fold are you using? What sort of cover are you using? Those things will make all the difference. And of course, it's all trial and error at this stage It takes all of us awhile to figure out what works best for our bub. You'll get there hun!

BG, don't dismiss the flats as being too exy......you can use them for like, forever, and don't forget for that price you're getting a dozen nappies or whatever, as opposed to one! I love using a combo of flats and MCN, I find it a really great way to do things. Never mind the drier, flats dry SO fast, even on cold days! I used flannies for the first 6 or so months, and then terry towelling, which we're still using now. I have a nice stash of both, and whichever sort I wasn't using as a nappy, I used as a spew rag IYKWIM.

i wasn't dismissing them Janie! in fact i was rather keen on getting organised early - i guess i just wasn't expecting there to be the expense behind them. i figure there is a reason so many people use sposies when they look at the cost of flats in the shops! i'm definitely planning on being a cloth nappy family, so just have to work out what we need, and get it organised in drips and drabs over the next six months (trust me to be pregnant with Christmas expense right smack in the middle of it!)

i know i seen some terry flats in Target the other day (both white and colored) - but to be honest, i don't think i seen any flannel flats - would they be labelled as flannel? where does everyone buy their flats and pre-folds. for those that don't know, i live in hillbilly heaven! kmart, target and bigw are within travellable distance from here (just) - anything else is a fairly hefty drive - so i'f i'm going to do a Melbourne-ish trip, i need to be organised in advance....

Beeg, I got my flats from Baby Bunting, I think Big Softies brand, two blue lines on the border.
    I've got my prefolds from Nurture Nappies or the Wee Wuns in the past.

Runnermum:
    - Prefolds/flats (yep, needing a cover and snappis or pins) can be great for newborns because they change shape and grow so dramatically in those first few weeks, that it's good to have something so adjustable.

- Neither AIO's or Pockets need a cover. The difference is that AIO's either have sewn in, or snap in inserts/boosters/absorbency, whereas with Pockets, you stuff the inserts/boosters/absorbency into a pocket (basically a cover that you can stuff).

- BumGenius have proven to be good for many newborns, because they tend to fit nice and snug around the leg - great for avoiding poop leaks. The AIO's only come in sizes, so you'd have to be okay with buying nb size which you would only get 6ish weeks out of. Or you could buy the Pocket, which adjusts from nb to large, and you stuff according to how absorbent it needs to be.

The reason I like prefolds/flats for newborns is because they're a cheaper/versatile option. But if you wanted, you could definitely get sized AIO's for your newborn if you like. I'm too stingy, but it would be just as good an option - as long as they were nice and snug around the legs.

Kuraiza. Newborns are so tricky, feed so often so wet so often, poo with supernatural force...
    It gets sooo much easier as they get bigger. If he's really little, it might help to grab one or two nb sized covers? For my newborns, I used 2 covers with a weight range that started at 3kg, and 2 snibs. I started using 'small' sized covers at about 3-4 weeks perhaps...

well i've finally decided that its time to give cloth a go!

Was just hoping for some advice on what would be good for my 11month old DD? I'm after something that is not too bulky, and probably AIO's or pockets?

Are there others that are more economical?

Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of snaps/velcro?

Yay Kellie - congrats on your fabulous decision

Umm off the top of my head - the trimmest are ones like itti bittis (either sewn in which is an AIO or snap in - AI2) and swaddlebees (pocket)- both snaps.

I don't mind snaps or velcro - but I get velcro for people that aren't used to using cloth because they make it so much easier when they do up like a sposie. Velcro can look a little tacky after a while though.

I think pockets are pretty economical - most of them (apart from swaddlebees) are one size fits all - so you just buy extra inserts and reuse the pocket shell if they have just done a wee - then bucket it when they have done a poo. Plus the shells dry REALLY quickly.

Um thats all i can think of to say (baby brain)

thanks so much for replying to my questions Nelle!! Might do a bit of shopping now !

The only thing else i wanted to know about inserts/boosters...could I use (and reuse) old terry flats - cut to size in pocket nappies? Otherwise, I have heard that you can buy seconds of inserts/boosters/liners? ON nuture nappies website?

thanks again everyone! feeling a bit more educated on this subject.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast