Thread: Bfed baby not taking Gaviscon...next step?

Question Bfed baby not taking Gaviscon...next step?

My 7 week old has been having reflux issues for several weeks now, we went to the dr who said Gaviscon was the first thing to try. After trying a syringe, then a syringe with a dummy, we discovered little medicine bottle/dummy things and she was quite happy to drink down one of those (for a week or so) with quite good results (however only 1 dose of 15ml not the correct dose of 30ml). Now however, she won't drink it. Besides which it's an awful lot of faffing around sterilising, measuring out boiled cool water, mixing it up, etc. Which I don't mind doing if she's drinking it and it's working but a lot of work for no results, KWIM.

So my question is, in terms of the treatment hierachy, what's the next step...go back to dr and ask for a script? A few ppl have mentioned using Mylanta (I think it's G's antacid property that's working as she still chucks but not so unhappily). Is it a particular type of infant mylanta, do I need a script? Any other ideas?
    Last edited by AnyDream; November 5th, 2007 at 08:17 PM.

*bumporama*

Hi there, the next step is traditionally zantac. You need a script from the doctor for that. It is very weight sensitive so you will have to increase the dose as your baby gets bigger.

We use mylanta as needed but in babies it is not recommended since it contains aluminium which is bad for their kidneys we get Parkers from the US and it doesn't have aluminium, which is good. But in saying that you do what you have to do, just get it OK'd by the doctor.

With the gaviscon we didn't have much luck with it either, for the same reason as you. I think if you were bottle feeding then it wouldn't be as bad, but it just took so long for them to not even take much of it.

I hope you are able to get something sorted soon.

Can you use a spoon? I gave DS calpol on a spoon at 8w, it worked OK for us.

The other thing is one of those pipes that slots into a babie's mouth as they feed, usually for increasing supply (do you know what I mean?). A thin tube in the mouth as she feeds, pour the meds down that somehow.

Thanks Scarlet, I can't tell you how annoyed I am that the pharm company made a medication designed for bottle fed babies and stopped there instead of developing it further to give to breastfed babies! grrrrrr!! What is the Parkers and where do you buy it from?

Ryn, if it were a small amount like 1 or 2 ml the spoon(or even a syringe) would work - it's just too large a quantity!! The supply line - while a good idea - sounds pretty long-winded, and I'm looking for a more convenient solution. thanks all the same!
    Last edited by AnyDream; November 6th, 2007 at 10:50 AM.

Sorry, Marydean, just realised 30ml is about one fluid ouce! That is a lot.

I guess everyone knows breastfed babies are healthier so they don't need medicine ever. Doesn't that help us when there is a problem (in sarcastic tone). I just love people telling me to add XYZ to his bottle... he is still breastfed! And yes, even the medical profession thinks that I'm bottlefeeding until I correct them due to DS's age.

A larger syringe and a short supply line? You can get a 50ml syringe and add a short, <10cm line to that and feed Elisabeth that way. A little fussy but it should work.

We had some issues with reflux with DS when he was about that age - tried the infant gaviscon but we had the same problem as you and it's a NIGHTMARE to prepare, so much stuffing around for him to just spit it.

His ped then said we could try mylanta, 1-2mls. We used that and it seemed to help, he only needed to have it for a month or so then he grew out of it and we stopped. It was just the regular one that adults have. If he had to be on something long term though I would have looked at zantac as the next option because of the aluminium issue with mylanta.

Ryn - the penny just dropped you are on imperial measurements! Isn't it annoying when ppl just automatically assume you're bottlefeeding?!

Flea - thanks for your comments. Have decided to go back to the dr to discuss, and am still trying to get the Gaviscon in without any success. I already bought a bottle of mylanta and have given a couple of doses (pharmacist advised correct amount) to tide us over until we see the dr. Gee she sucks that minty goodness down although like you I have reservations over the aluminium factor.

Hey Marydean

Yeah...we tried Gaviscon for a little while but 15ml was so much for Felix to take...he would just scream.

We have been using a local pharmacy 'reflux/colic' mixture for a few weeks now...and that seems to help alot. Felix still does his little vomits but it's nowhere near as bad. The mixture seems to taste much nicer and he only needs to take 1ml.

A small bottle costs about $13 (50ml) and I believe that the pharmacist will post interstate.

PM me if you want the pharmacy details.

Cheers!

Monnie, I'm guessing that is the legendary Padbury blend...have read about it in another thread & have the contact details. Do you know what's in it?

The blend is gaviscon and donnalix, so an antacid and an antispasmodic. It may take away some of the reflux but if it is severe reflux you will need something else.

A pharmacist advised you on mylanta? I just find that strange as it isn't recommended here in children under 12, so a doctor can tell you to take it but a pharmacist shouldn't. I was just wondering what dose he suggested?

Mylanta works in the same way as gaviscon, it will reduce the acid straight away but if it will probably only work for an hour or two. WHeras zantac or losec will reduce the acid over a 24 hour period once it kicks in.

The mylanta we get is mylanta cherry supreme, I have a friend in the US who keeps us supplied with that and also Tums Parker has now since he is older and likes to chew on them.

When Zy was on Gaviscon, I used to put the sachet in a bottle & then add a little bit of boiled water to mix it & then some cooled boiled water to cool it & he'd drink that from a bottle. He too is breastfed, but he drank it no probs!

Since eliminating all dairy his gut has healed & he is no longer on any meds!!!!

Lucie had the Mylanta and I'd syringe it down the side of her bottle - sorry she was bottle fed so it was a bit easier. She LOVED the mintiness though and still loves anything minty!

In the end, I decided against continuing with the Mylanta and also decided against the Padbury blend since it contains gastrogel which also has the aluminium in it. Saw dr again who prescribed zantac this time, made sure she gave me the dosage calculation so I can adjust it as DD gets heavier. DD sucks it down with no problems (likes the minty flavour) and it's working wonders. She slept like a log for the first two days so it has obviously made a difference. I'm only using a minimal dose and am getting away with twice a day so will adjust that if we need to, hopefully she will grow out of it before too long!

Thanks for the update and I am happy to hear that it is working for you guys and you can up it with increasing weight. I wish you all the best.

Thanks Caro, the aluminium was the main reason we discontinued using the Mylanta after only a few doses. It got us through until I was able to see a dr.

Thanks for replying Caro, I thought perhaps you'd missed my post yesterday. Thanks for your replies though, I'm glad you questioned something that didn't seem to make sense as that's how a lot of valuable information is shared in forums like these.