Thread: Is morning sickness hereditary?

Default Is morning sickness hereditary?

If my mum didn't suffer from morning sickness with either of her two pregnancies and on my dad's side my Auntie didn't suffer either, can I expect that I too may not suffer from morning sickness? Is there a family trend conected to this?
    I know each women is different, I guess I am just curtious and hopefull.

hmmmm.... good question... well my mum suffered morning sickness (all though the pregnancies) with two of us, and not much with the other two... so I'm not really sure if its a hereditary thing, or if its just an individual pregnancy thing, because some woman often get morning sickness with one pregnancy and maybe not another... I got morning sickness BTW, which I though was bad at the time, but really didn't go for that long (about 6 weeks) and wasn't as bad as it could have been... so I would say its more to do with the pregnancy than being hereditary. Though I'm sure there are some genetic factors in there, as with most things

I don't think anyone in my family had much morning sickness and I didn't either... but my sister gets it terribly. So it seems to be an individual thing.

My Mum never had any morning sickness, and i have not had an unwell day throughout this pg.
    She had 2 girls, i have no idea what i am having (most think boy), i would assume that it is something passed on (DH ex had morning sickness with her pg and they had a boy)
    Dont know if the sex is relevant, but some say it is...
    I have also only got stretch marks in the same places that Mum did

The Dr told me it's a very individual thing but my grandmother (mum's mum) had severe m/s. My mum was in and out of hospital with all 4 pregnancies. I also have severe m/s.

So it's seems to be in my family.

My mother never had it with either of her pregnancies, just felt a little "off" every now and then but not full on m/s. As I'd read somewhere it can be hereditary I never expected to get it and so far I haven't and I'm 23 weeks tomorrow.

My mum never had it with 3 pregnancies, 2 boys and me, but I had it mildly with DD and quite badly with DS - it didn't go away!!!

I haven't had it - my first, my sister didn't have any with her two, my mum didn't have any with her 3 and my Nan never had it with her two, so I think there may be something in it. Mum and Nan had a mixture 1 Boy, 2 Girls and 1 Boy and 1 Girl, my sister had 2 Boys. So I don't think the sex has much of a difference, although a lot say the girls bring it on!!

My mum never got morning sickness with the first 3 of us but with the 4th baby she had it really bad but soo far i havent had any ( that i dont get it)

Apparently the old wives tale goes that you will have a pregnancy like your partner's mother did. Like, my DH's mother didn't suffer any morning sickness, just a bit of nausea, and thats what I've had for both of mine. My sister has bad morning sickness in all of her pregnancies, and so did her mother in law. So the old wives tale seems pretty accurate in these cases!!!
    (Not sure how accurate it is really though, probably as much as all the other old wives tales!!)

My mum had nine kids, seven girls and two boys. She told me she hardly suffered from morning sickness at all, just very mild nausea.

Out of us seven girls, six of us have kids. With both my pregnancies I was hospitalised for severe morning sickness. I have two boys. One of my sisters was the same and she has two girls. The other sisters all suffer with mild nausea.

Judging by my family I think it must just be individual thing.