Thread: whats the best practice on announcing your PREGNANT!

Default whats the best practice on announcing your PREGNANT!

Hi there,
    I would like to know what the best practice is for announcing you pregnant. I know that people say wait till your past your 12 months. But surely people will suspect something is going on when you run out of a meeting or pull over to have a chuck? Do you tell your close family and friends or do you try and hide all of it? Its just that 12 weeks is a long time to try and hide it...

P.S. Nope not pregnant yet but am praying for a BFP in 8 days and counting! i was just curious thats all.

It depends how you go and who you feel you want to share it with if you find things haven't' gone well at the 12 week scan. We told close family at about 10 weeks because that's when we saw them in person. Everyone else we waited till after the scan. I found it easy to hide as I wasn't sick- I just ate heaps but no one noticed me pulling snacks out of pocket all the time

Yeah I guess. If we are blessed enough to fall soon, and I d get sick, it will be hard to hide as I see my inlaws every weekend and some times during the week and they are very nosey.

I told my immediate family at 8 weeks, close family at 12 weeks, and my boss @ work at 18 weeks after my scan. When the baby was viable, IE 24 weeks, I told everyone in general

When we told my SiL she turned to my FiL and asked if he knew, he said yes ... she asked how he managed to keep the secret for 4 weeks, he didn't keep the secret, he just told the nursing home people he shares a table with, they all have memory problems so wouldn't tell her!

But I guess I'm just superstitious really.

hi Puppies
    I told everyone, except work. The only reason that I know of not to tell is the possibility of m/c. (and perhaps pay reviews at work.)

We made a choice, since we were a long time TTC, we wanted to share the joy with people. If we were to m/c we would then have fantastic support through the process.

Unfortunatly we did m/c, the support I now have is fantastic. It has made everything so much easier. We had those 5 weeks of joy, happiness, excitement and we got to share it with everyone. It would have been so much harder not to be able to share the sadness because we didn't share the joy.

Do what you think is best and bollox to what everone else says.....

Still crossing fingers for you HPT on Sat.

Mel

I freaked out when I started having morning sickness so told my boss at about 9 weeks because I didn't want him to think I was a slacker turning up late every morning and having to invent a different excuse all the time.

Didn't tell anyone else until after the 20 week scan and I was actually convinced that all was going to be OK. Liked it that way - meant friends and family didn't have long to wait.

Funnily enough, before they knew, I got so many comments from people telling me I'd LOST weight. I just said "oh really, that's not what the scales say ... but thanks!"

Thanks Mel A, You make a pretty good point actually.

Fionas, I think I would have to tell the boss if I get MS. I work in a small office and they are pretty good. Besides that, they are half expecting it to happen in the next few years anyway. As for family I would like to wait before I tell them, so cross fingers when it does happen that its not that obvious.

It will depend on your situation, if you see family all the time,i am guessing a nosy MIL will be looking for signs, and if you are unfortunatle to get really sick, she will pick up on it!!!

I told my bosses first actually, as i have had trouble carrying a pregnancy through, i felt that they needed to know right away in case anything bad happened. And also cause my DH banned me from doing any physical work when i got pregnant, so like fiona said, i didnt want to make bogus excuses for not helping out in the bar and kitchen etc (i work in a hotel, mainly book work and office work, but i was usually available to help out in the bar etc if it was busy, not when pregnant though- so i had to tell) but i kept it from family except my mum til the 12 weeks scan. Then i just made a few phone calls, and let them all spread the word around them selves.

Good luck TTC!!

opps sorry about that typo, thats quiet funny actually. Hmm I feel a bit silly now, but at least I made you laugh.

Smile

Hi

We are TTC and this is a subject I have thought about as well. I think personally I would tell immediate family (mum, dad, siblings & in-laws) & our closest friends.

We would more than likely hold of telling grandparents & distant family members until after 12 weeks but if the subject came up then we would tell them without hesitation. Luckily for us however we can go months with out having contact with our interstate family & friends, only due to busy lifestyle nothing else, so it probably won't be that hard for us not to tell them.

If something unfortunate were to happen in the early stages then those closest to us would be our greatest support unit and help us deal with anything we were going through.

Hope this helps but it really is just a personal thing that only you yourself can decide. Good luck with TTC

Ii would say you only tell people who you'd be comfortable with if things went wrong.

Last pg we told more people earlier than we would have normally - it was a shock and telling people was a way of coping. Plus a few close friends were in town for DH's 40th birthday and it just slipped out (plus they wondered why I wasn't drinking at the party, none of the usual excuses applied). I ended up telling some people at work around 9-10 weeks, and then we found out at the 12 week scan that the baby had died. Although I wished that a few less people knew, it was also quite good as I didn't have to pretend everything was OK.

paradise lost Guest

I told my boss by email (even though she sat opposite me) at 6 weeks because i was sick and it was showing. I asked her in the email not to discuss it with me or anyone else. I had already lost 2 babies and couldn't face having to call anyone and telling them i'd lost another one so i waited until i had a scan pic, scanned it into the PC and emailed everyone in the whole world

Bx