Thread: PCOS - Advice please...

Chalalan Guest

Default PCOS - Advice please...

Hello

I am starting to think that I might have PCOS. I have had acne for as long as I can remember. I am chubby and constantly crave sugar. My cycles are all over the place.
    I managed to get PG in Dec but I lost the baby in Feb. Does PCOS cause miscarriage?

I am going to see the doctor on Wed. Do I just tell her my concerns and let her take the lead? I would really like to be referred to a gyno but I'm guessing that they can't do that until the GP has made some sort of diagnosis? Is this right?

I'd love some advice on this, so thanks in advance!

I was told I had PCOS when I was 18 via a blood test my GP did. Was later confirmed during a surgical procedure. To my knowledge your GP can write you a referral at your request the testing is mainly to confirm that you have it. If you do there are a number of factors that can influence your body but I am pretty sure MC is not one of them but I would still check it out with a GP.

Check out POSAA PCOS support association of Australia. They have heaps of great advice and lots of reading material on all aspects of PCOS including symptoms and TTC. Good luck finding answers to your questions, this site is a great place to post any problem etc you might have.

Chalalan Guest

Thanks Macca - I'm going to have a look now.

hun, pcos can increase your chances of miscarriage. i can't remember exactly what he said, but my first visit to FS, he asked history, and said straight away that my previous losses would have been related to the pcos. something to do with insulin resistance and hormonal imbalances. the corpus luteum on the ovary when you ovulate isn't able to sustain the pregnancy.... wish i could remember his explanation a little better - was a little overwhelmed

ask your doctor for tests to screen hormone levels, and you may end up being sent for an internal u.s to visualise the polycystic ovaries. it's not fun, but it's manageable. try to keep to a low GI diet as this can help to manage some of the impacts of the insulin resistance...

good luck with getting the answers you seek

Just a word with PCOS and insulin resistance. It is possible to have PCOs and not be insulin resistant. There is a fasting blood test they can do to find out if you are. DH and I spent 4 years ttc and underwent fertility treatment and treatment for insulin resistance as I tested positive. If you do test positive it can be controlled and there are drugs which can help you in ttc. Best of luck. By the way there is also PCO which has similar symptoms to PCOS but not affect you in the same way.

Chalalan Guest

Thank you for you answers ladies! I thought I'd let you know what my doctor said.

She said that nowadays you need 2 out of 3 symptons to diagnose PCOS - irregular periods, acne and ....sorry I can't remember the other one (suffering from KRAFT!)
    Big Tick for both those.

She said that we could do tests to confirm but the treatment would be the same - managed by diet and exercise. My periods aren't wildly irregular and they are happening monthly so she thinks that 4 hours of huffy-puffy exercise a week and sticking to a Low GI diet, and losing 5 kgs (at rate of 0.5kgs a week) will bring everything into alignment.

I feel such relief because that is managable and practical. I can do that.

I have done 2 aerobics classes this week and I'm really aching, but I'm determined to keep doing it. The Low GI diet is feeling good already and I'm not hungry on it nor having as many cravings in between meals.

So lovely ladies, thats where I am at and just wanted to say thanks again for taking the trouble to reply. I was feeling very scared when I posted.