Thread: Pcos - Ttc Question

Default Pcos - Ttc Question

Hi girls

I have PCOS and am putting off going on Clomid for several months to try and get some financial affairs in order - we are thinking December.

Is this silly? I am not too clued up on Clomid and how quick it works, or even if it is going to get us pregnant. Officially, the Obs/Gyn says that I am not ovulating and when I want to TTC, he will put me on Clomin and Metformin.

Any suggestions/comments? Feel free to be honest, I need advice.

Thanks.

if they're suggesting metformin, i'd start weaning onto it now - it's not always pleasant to start out with and you need to build up on it. clomid wise - it's not that exxy - if the doctor is suggesting you start,i'd probably start in a couple of months - not necessarily start ttc, but more start using clomid at least a couple of times. your doctor will probably do a BT to check that it has made you O - some of us don't respond at all - and you'd hate to wait to TTC until December and find it takes another six months to actually get to the point where you have a chance at a bubba cos the clomid doesn't work...

Are you using both? I have heard that they are cause shocker mood swings? What other symptoms are there if you don't mind answering?

i'm on metformin now - the dosage they aim for on standard metformin is 1500-1700mg per day - when i got up to the max dose i ended up extremely unwell with upset stomach. not a lot of other side effects once i was used to each step up - but it wasn't always pleasant (nausea, upset tum - i learned to hate the loo!!). because of the severity of my reaction to it, my FS swapped me to an "extended release" form of the same drug - it has a delayed release action. i'm still taking a similar dosage, but it's much more gentle...

as for clomid - i'd have to go look it all up - i remember nasty cramps, shocking hot flushes, nausea - but moreso when i was on higher doses - unfortunately i didn't respond at all so i have been through a lot since then - has clouded the memory on what i went through with the clomid!

Well, that all sounds fun!

You poor thing!

How long have you been on Clomid and TTC? Again, if you don't mind...

I'd certainly suggest getting onto the metformin now and perhaps leaving the clomid until later if that is what you want to do. As BG said, it can take quite some time to work up to the required dosage of metformin.

Sometimes metformin alone is enough to start PCOS women ovulating again. Sometimes you'll still need clomid, but being on the right dosage of metformin when you start clomid is one way to ensure that the clomid has the best possible chance of working.

BW

i've been ttc since feb 2005 - had two natural pg's in 2005 with both ended in m/c. july 2006 i had ovarian drilling surgery, then onto met and clomid - had clomid at 50, 100 and 150mg - with no response, so moved onto injectible meds to force ovulation - 5 attempts at that in 2007, with one very short lived chemical pregnancy - moved onto IVF in november last year, and currently in the TWW with our last two embies on board

I'm exhausted just reading that! It certainly appears as though I am facing a giant uphill battle, so maybe we need to start thinking about getting on top of things very soon.

Good luck to you, and thankyou for your help.

no probs

there is a specific thred dedicated to those trying to conceive using met and/or clomid - you might find it helpful as these ladies are going through it now - as opposed to 2 years back!

thread can be found here

good luck

I was on metformin for 6 months at the start of last year, i had no reactions to it. I was about to start clomid but found out i was pregnant just before starting, I found the metformin and weight loss and low gi diet worked enough for me. I have PCOS and also dont ovulate regulary.
    Good luck with your TTC journey.