Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the things you won't Tolerate

Ditoo too all of the above!!

Although my 1 pet hate is when I hear kids say stuff like "Give it to me or I'll kill you!" Or "I wnat a turn or I'll smash your head in!"
    Something a friends daughter used to say to Maddy when Maddy was like 3 & she was 4!

I was shocked & told my GF I'd rather have my kids swear & say Bum (a rude word to her) than threaten violence! She didnt acknowledge that violence is wrong, instead just said... She doesnt mean it!?Recently I overheard this child now 10, tell my DH, that her dad uses $100 notes to wipe his arse!

Yep they have come into a heap of money but I found that comment disgusting!

Quote Originally Posted by Niliac View Post
    I agree very much, it takes a village and its just unfair to the children if each villager has their own rules. And in our house most rules apply to adults too and can be enforced by the kids
    Cai - we call our group of friends "The Village" because that is pretty much what we are

We do the same thing...

And Tracey IKEWYM. I remember as a child being so disgusted hearing my cousin tell her mother she hated her and wished she was dead over a 20c lollipop. At the time she didn't understand the meaning of those words and her mother never corrected her. A few years later her mother died of breast cancer and those words went through my cousin's head over and over again. And now she carries guilt with that. As a child they have no understanding but when they are older they realise what they did and it hurts then, and they also lose respect for their parents.

I can't tolerate when DS throws things at me. He doesn't do it very often and after I've had a reaction (yelling!) I go and figure out with him what's made him frustrated. After all, he's 18 months old and can't TELL me what caused him to throw something at me!
    As for thank you, I would prefer he mean it before he says it like a mantra. I would much prefer to hear a thank you from a child who was actually aware that they owed their newfound happiness (for that cookie, glass of water, whatever) to my actions. I DO like to hear 'please', and if it's not forthcoming, I prompt gently. If it was asked without please and they seem confused about my insistence on the word (and it's a young child), hell, I just give it to them, it's an advanced kind of concept anyway!
    Violence of any kind will not be tolerated and will be dealt with sensitively and lovingly. I've studied violence in societies before and it's a cycle that needs interrupting with love

Wish we were in bali more so for the Village type of parenting!

We live with my parents behind our house & I always get told by Mum that one of the kids shouldnt have this or that or whatever her latest thing to carry on about is & yet she has given it to the kid & then says...

But I am allowed I am the grandma!??

Ellibam Guest

i cannot tolerate hurting others,hitting biting grr

I'm not a parent yet but I can't stand bad manners either. My nephews and niece are TERRIBLE - they have no manners at all. Never say please or thankyou, eat with mouth open - it drives me nuts. I can understand that their parents get frustrated etc but my parents had no problems teaching me good manners - if they ask for something, a simple "What do you say?" to prompt the "please" and similar when given something to prompt the "thank you" - and soon it becomes routine.

I felt a bit bad the other day, but we were at the ILs and 8 yr old nephew came into the kitchen , while myself and SIL were doing dishes, and put his empty icypole wrapper on the bench (3 m away from the bin) and walked off.. I was like "XXXX - (he turns) - that doesn't go there, can you put that in the bin please? We have enough mess to clean up without you making more" He rolls eyes, says "I don't know where the bin is" (lie) - surprisingly MIL actually says "Come on, you know where the bin is" - and he put it in the bin. Mind you it's the MIL and FIL who are partly to blame for the kids behaviour as they spoil them ROTTEN (SOOOOOO not going to happen when we have kids!!!).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12