thread: How to take a HUGE horse tablet!

Add C~Q on Facebook

Oct 2006
    By the sea

How to take a HUGE horse tablet!

I just bought some new Multi-Vitamins and stupidly didn't check if they were tablets or capsules. I've just openend them and no lie, they are about an inch long and all powdery - they taste like poo

I tried breaking the second one in half but it just made it sharp and scratchy on my throat

Does anyone have any ideas on how to take them? My Mum said in the middle of a mouthfull of food before I swallow so I'll try that. Anything else I can do???

Jan 2004

My mum use to crush one of her big meds in a cup with a spoon and mix some honey in with it, then eat it in one spoonful usually with a cup of tea to help it go down easier

Nic

Sep 2007
    Off with the fairies

Just put it in you mouth , get a cup of water and drink it LOL
    It's all in your mind, think that you are swallowing a piece of food instead of a tablet. Maybe try swallowing it with water, after eating something solid, so that it doesn't feel so strange.

May 2007
    Newcastle NSW

I was also going to say to crush it and put it in a spoon of honey. Then have a warm drink to help it down

slyder Guest

I suggest you just take it either with water, or food, as a whole. You could probably crush a vitamin tablet without it being a concern, but in general it's not good practice to crush tablets as they are designed to break down and absorb at a certain rate. By crushing it, the contents of a tablet is absorbed by the stomach very rapidly and can reduce its effectiveness and spread through the bloodstream.

The IVF mob said to get some multi-vitamins into me to try and improve my sperm morphology a bit, but I reckon it's rubbish as I am pretty fit and have a good diet. I am what I am and no funky vitamin is going to make much difference IMHO!

Nov 2005
    in a house!

i agree its all in your mind sweetie. i find its easier to only put a little bit of water in my mouth, otherwise i gag.

Try just a small amount and pretend you are swallowing food. good luck

Add C~Q on Facebook

Oct 2006
    By the sea

I'll try them with a little bit of water then. I've been taking a big gulp and tilting my head back but still makes me gag

Slyder - that's interesting about breaking them down - I never really thought of that.

Oh well, hopefully i'll have better luck tomorrow!

Dec 2005

Definitely all in the mind. One thing, I find it difficult to take tablets with water, I need something with taste. Milk tends to lubricate things, something carbonated tends to float the tablets down... I find if they are big, milk works better.

With some of the huge ones, what works best for me is only taking a small sip of your drink, but then swallowing as though you've taken a big gulp.

I used to have terrible trouble swallowing tablets... then as part of my CFS treatment I was asked to take fish oil capsules, which look scarily large. I got over that in time, and don't have any trouble at all now. When you take meds for arthritis, PCOS, anxiety, and then add in a few vitamins and other supplements, you end up taking a lot of tablets each day! I use warm tea in the mornings (I let the water cool to gulping temperature first), and usually milk in the evenings. If I remember my lunch time ones (more often than not, taken at night), it's usually with coke zero.

Basic idea - pop the tablet on your tongue, in the middle where you have no taste buds. Take a small sip, swallow like you've taken a huge gulp, stay relaxed, and everything works fine.

BW

May 2007
    Brisbane, Australia

Rachel...watchadoin' eating poo? Crush it up and have it with a mouthful of m&ms!

I'm hopeless with big tablets, I have to break them up otherwise I gag stupidly!!!

Add C~Q on Facebook

Oct 2006
    By the sea

I'm fine with capsules that big, infact I can take two at the same time. It's just that tablets are so dry and ugghhh!!!

I'll try taking them with milk in the morning and see if that helps. I think my problem is that I close my throat a bit when I swallow so it gets trapped - then I can taste it and it makes me gag. Ok, slowly, small amount of milk and relax - got it!

Aug 2005

hows is going Rach??

did you survive your tablets today.. you are looking FANTASTIC on your facebook photos.. you ll have to be my personal trainer soon... it i can ever get back to the gym again !

xoxo

Jul 2007
    melb

I hera you i gag and choke and cary on with my multi vitamins and vit b complex!!
    I stand over the sink with a big drink have a mouthfl swallow then put tab in and then another huge drink!! and over the sink if I gag to much and it comes out i am not making a mess!!!

I hate the smell of "poo" tabs also YUCKO!!!!!

Jul 2007
    Over the rainbow

An old lady told me once that by tilting your head to far back, it actually makes it harder, because it does not "fall" into your throat!!! So try tilting your head just a bit tad bit back and as you swallow bring your head back up.
    I usually take my pills like feeb, over the sink. I take a sip and then hold some water in my mouth, pop the pills in and drink out of the faucet!!!
    I gag when I smell that vitamin B smell - disgusting!!!!!
    PS. try having them with milkshake - would take that taste away!!!

Jul 2007
    melb

I have choc straight after to get rid of flavour!!!

Jun 2007
    Melbourne, ready to meet peeps IRL

maybe try to crush it and mix with nutella this is how I give my kids worming tablets they always ask for more lol Dh also has to take them this way as he has the same problem cant say I'm any help standing there almost wetting myself watching him...

Add C~Q on Facebook

Oct 2006
    By the sea

THANK YOU BUTTERFLY WARRIOR!!! This morning I put them in the middle of my tongue (where there are no taste buds - thanks again, didn't know that!) and just took a small sip of juice and they went straight down. Didn't feel or taste them!

All these suggestions are so great to know - now I don't have to waste $55!

Dec 2005

I'm glad it worked for you, Rachel.

BW