Thread: What do you dress bub in for sleeping

Default What do you dress bub in for sleeping

Ok, I have a dilemma. We live in South East Queensland. And I find it really really hard to figure out what to dress DD in for the night.
    DD sleeps in her cot for the first part of the night. But at some point she usually comes into our bed where she sleeps with me under the doona.
    If I put a singlet suit and a fleecy sleeping bag on her, she is alright in the cot, but I worry she gets too hot in our bed. In a singlet suit & Bonds Wondersuit I worry she's too cold in the cot...
    She moves too much for blankets.
    So mostly I use a singlet suit, Wondersuit or PJs&Socks and a thin, summer weight Grobag which I then take off when bringing her into our bed.

Also, the temperature can change sooo much during the night, I can hardly figure out what to wear or what bedding to use for myself. It's driving me mad. I never know whether it's going to be a cold night or not. And I suspect that a lot of DDs night waking is to do with being either too warm or too cold.

I was just wondering what the rest of you dress your bubs in for sleep. I might get some good inspiration...

Sasa

We are having heaps of issues, we dress Jovie in long sleeve cotton on pj's with a track suit over it. Then when she comes into bed with us we take off the track suit. Its the only way we can get around over heating her and not freezing ourselves.

Hello

My DD sleeps part night in the cot and then in to sleep with me as well..

I live in Brisbane. Although I cheat, I have a groegg that tells me current temp of her room and I run off what the temp in her room is at dressing time.

Currently to bed she wears a 2.5tog grobag, and a wondersuit, uncovered hands and she has flannette sheets in her cot. When she comes in with me, I ensure that the doona is not covering her.

That is when the temp is only going to get to about 17/18 degrees, if it is going to drop lower I would put a singlet on as well

At the moment, we're doing a singlet, Wondersuit and sleeping sack in the cot. But when he gets in bed with me, I take the sleeping suit off (I tried to not put the doona on him but would wake up with him covered anyway... I seem to forget when I'm half asleep).
    Just for the record, my GP advised it's better to have bubs a little bit cold at night rather than a little bit hot.

I put Oskar in a long sleeve bodysuit with no legs... and then a pair of long cotton pants and a long sleeve top then in his 2.5 tog grobag. It's a little on the warm side for the first couple of hours but then it's more than ok and our room usually gets down to anywhere between 16/17 - 20 degrees on a warmer night. He's in his cot next to our bed. When he does come into our bed (it's usually just me and him then) I have the doona ONLY on me and he is still dressed the same as if he was in his cot. We were putting a singlet suit on under his long sleeve top instead of the long sleeve bodysuit up until a couple of weeks ago but he seemed to be waking early in the morning which he's not really doing so much now since we dressed him a bit warmer.

I do second LoriRae... my doc also said it's better to have them a little cooler than hot.

Thanks, girls.
    Unfortunately I can't not cover her with the doona without freezing myself. She loves o be right up against me, sort of facing my armpit. if I tried to put the doona around me but not on her, her face would be right in the doona, IYKWIM. Plus DH and I have only one big King Sized doona and DH often sleeps between us.
    Anyway, it's good to hear that I'm not the only one having issues here. I agree with what some of you have said, it's better to be on the cooler side.
    I guess not having grown up here in Queensland (let alone in Australia) I find it really hard to judge the weather. In Germany, where I have grown up, we have central heating, so it's pretty much the same temp all night every night. So no need to worry about it. But here, the wind might pick up in te middle of the night and what started off as a mild night turns freezing all of a sudden. I think I will go the cheat method, too. I don't have a GroEgg, but I do have a couple of those free room thermometres that come with the Grobags...
    My MIL actually sewed some fleecy sleeping bags for DD. But they have sleeves. Do you girls think sleeveless is better? Can bub regulate their temp better if the sleeping bag doesn't have sleeves? What about those blanket sleepers? They all have sleeves.
    Thanks so much for all your help.
    Sasa

Sunshine, I never liked the ones with sleeves. It just seems easier to overheat them with sleeves than without (i'm not even sure why, it just does). Have you considered a sheet and waffle blanket for your bed? They don't seem to trap as much warmth as a doona does (I've actually been meaning to change my doona for sheet and waffle blanket for ages... laziness!!)

Lori Rae, no, I haven't considered the sheet and blanket option. I HATE HATE HATE sheets and blankets. I always get them in a knot (I have a special talent that way :-) I sometimes ended up with the sheet misteriously wrapped around my neck, and I'm not even such an unsettled sleeper). Especially if I have to turn DD over multiple times during the night for breastfeeding. It's hard enough getting the doona to stay in place.
    When I met DH he used the blanket + sheet option and I immediately set about changing his mind. For my next birthday, he gave me a feather down doona :-) Best present ever. We both haven't looked back since. But at the moment we only use a thin cotton filled doona, so it's not actually that warm or that thick. I wouldn't want any less warmth.
    The main problem is not her overheating in my bed, I can manage that by taking her sleeping bag off. The main problem is the difference in temperature from one night to the next (or from early evening to early morning). I never know how warm or cold the night will be. We can easily adjust by pulling the doona down a little or sticking a foot out at the bottom. But DD can't do that.
    I agree with you that sleeves seem to make it easier to overheat. And most of the high end sleping bags have no sleeves. I might ask MIL to take the sleeves out of one of the sleeping bags...

Thanks again for all your help and opinions.
    Sasa

Do you have foxtel at all? Or I guess even on here, whenever I am unsure, I check the weather channell and see what the degrees is going to be the next morning. Coldest part of the morning is 3am/4am I think?

Nope, no Foxtel here. but I guess I could check Home Page - Bureau of Meteorology

After a bit of research I have decided to make my own sleeping bag out of wool. Woolen bags like the ones from Merino Kids are said to be very good at regulating the baby's temperature (cool when it's warm and warm when it's cool), but they are also very expensive. I found that fleecy bags get very sweaty and moist as they don't breath and wick moisture away from the body. I will let you know how I go with it. I'm just in the process of sourcing the materials. It's amazing how hard it is to get your hands on fabric that is made out of 100% wool in a country with so many sheep...

Sasa

at the moment, blake is in fleecy pyjama's, sox. no singlet or anything.

he doesnt come to bed with me at all. i learnt my lesson with that one. he sits on my head

I just burst out laughing and almost woke up DD.
    i think you really are stalking me, Mummatotwo ;-)

Sasa