Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes Chatter #6

Hi Girls!

Thanks for your imput on when your Ob's/hospital want bubs to be born.

The Ob I saw at the hospital today re-iterated the 39-40 week limit for me. I also have to have CTG monitoring at each weekly visit from now on. The midwife today said I couldn't have gotten a better CTG reading Also have to have another scan to check bubs size, but fundal measurement wise I am measuring 38 weeks ATM.

Wow Belfie, a sudden jump like that doesn't seem quite right to me. I think there has been an error in there somewhere. Try not to worry and wait and see what it is next week.
    Still on 6 units of insulin at night

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I look forward to learning more about your GD experiences as time goes by

Hi there everyone!

How is everyone going?

I got a 5.9 fasting reading this morning so up to 8 units for me from tonight.

hey MamaS - sorry to hear your insulin is up, fingers crossed no more increases for you. 36 weeks for you now, wow that's wonderful!

Blackorchid - how are you going? Have you got anywhere with trying to convince them to leave you on metformin?

AFM, have managed to stay steady on 16 units for a few days, but have had a few 7.4's... so I think i'll be up again soon. My folks are currently visiting and Dad has type II, on insulin. It's interesting to compare notes. Tbh it's really quite different the way we both manage it!

Quote Originally Posted by belfie View Post
    hey MamaS - sorry to hear your insulin is up, fingers crossed no more increases for you. 36 weeks for you now, wow that's wonderful!

AFM, have managed to stay steady on 16 units for a few days, but have had a few 7.4's... so I think i'll be up again soon. My folks are currently visiting and Dad has type II, on insulin. It's interesting to compare notes. Tbh it's really quite different the way we both manage it!
    I wont be surprised if I end up at about 10 units by the time I have bub. but that's okay. Yep 36 weeks! Bub is going to be here in 3 weeks at the latest.

They are a lot more strict with the BSL's for GD than they are for type 2 aren't they? My dad has type 2. He's on tablets for it.

Both yours and my chances of avoiding type 2 as we get older are kinda slim considering our dads have it hey belfie

Quote Originally Posted by MamaSpice View Post
    They are a lot more strict with the BSL's for GD than they are for type 2 aren't they? My dad has type 2. He's on tablets for it.

Both yours and my chances of avoiding type 2 as we get older are kinda slim considering our dads have it hey belfie
    Yep definitely agree they're more strict. My dad always looks surprised when I say oh that's another 7.9, up the insulin!

As for avoiding it... ah I am SO determined to do my best. I've got some weight to lose, I'm definitely apple-shaped and I am sooooo gonna beat this. I managed to lose about 8kg before falling PG this time, so I've only really got about another 6kg to lose. Interestingly I was just on the edge of a normal BMI before getting PG (BMI: 25.2!), but my waistline was still in the "danger" zone for diabetes... just emphasising that apple-shape issue i guess. And if having GD for 3 months is foul, I can't imagine doing it for the rest of my life, especially with the dietary restrictions I already have. No, no, no, no, I will politely decline I think

Quote Originally Posted by belfie View Post
    Yep definitely agree they're more strict. My dad always looks surprised when I say oh that's another 7.9, up the insulin!

As for avoiding it... ah I am SO determined to do my best. I've got some weight to lose, I'm definitely apple-shaped and I am sooooo gonna beat this. I managed to lose about 8kg before falling PG this time, so I've only really got about another 6kg to lose. Interestingly I was just on the edge of a normal BMI before getting PG (BMI: 25.2!), but my waistline was still in the "danger" zone for diabetes... just emphasising that apple-shape issue i guess. And if having GD for 3 months is foul, I can't imagine doing it for the rest of my life, especially with the dietary restrictions I already have. No, no, no, no, I will politely decline I think
    Good for you! You sound like you're very determined I've got some weight to lose too. More than you though. I'm more pear shaped though. Got the thunder thighs and the badonkey donk butt!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaSpice View Post
    Good for you! You sound like you're very determined I've got some weight to lose too. More than you though. I'm more pear shaped though. Got the thunder thighs and the badonkey donk butt!
    hahah I'll trade you some cake-top (it's too big to be called a muffin-top ). Funniest thing the other day - was lying in bed with DH (rare event cos he's in the process of getting sleep apnoea/HORRIFIC snoring fixed - so have been sleeping apart). He's absent-mindedly got his hand on my BB... and I'm like ah move your hand hun (was NOT in the mood). And he said "oh I thought it was your elbow - what are they doing out there?" i laughed my guts out. For me it's all belly & BB's, truly I'd like some badonkey donk butt!

Lol belfie!

Hi Belfie,

I'm trying to get into see an endo in Darlinghurst to have a chat about it. Although I'm feeling a lot less stressed about it, as I have slowly come off the metformin last week (night dose) and this past Monday (morning dose). My fasting glucose is still all over the shop, and I've been increasing my insulin each night and still not hitting the 5.2 the hospital wants me at. I've gone from 8 units to 18 and tonight I will try 20 to see how that goes. On the flip side, my daytime levels have been good. I've even been able to sneak in some naughty things and it hasn't effected my levels. So far no daytime insulin which is good (although at 16.5 weeks pregnant I wouldn't want to be on insulin during the day so early).

I sympathise with the weight issue, I've suffered all my life and have a good 45kgs to loose. Somehow, somewhere, someday! What are you all doing for exercise?

Yas

HI LAdies

It has been a few days since i was last on..... not much has changed for me. I am now on 40 units of insulin a day 16 pre breakfast and 24 predinner. I am finding that my fasting levels are still around 5.6 - 6.1 so i am guessing they will increase my night insulin again on Tuesday as i have my Endo appointment. I am also finding my dinner levels to be all over the place, i have cottage pie the other night ( not unhealthy) and i got an 7.6 so who knows what is happening there, my night BSL's seem to be all over the place but in the positive note it looks like my day BSL's are good (Ya 2 outta 4 are not bad LOL)
    I don't want to be doing this for the rest of my life but i also have about 45kilos to loose and i find it hard with motivation, lack of energy and not being able to see a light at the end of the tunnel
    I am looking forward to finishing up work in about 5 weeks (countdown on) as it is causing alot of stess at the moment

Is anyone else having a baby shower? My girlfriends are putting on a baby shower for me at the end of the month, which i am really looking forward too. they decided as this is my last bub and i have never had one that they wanted to throw me one, which is sweet.

Sorry this has been a bit of a me post, i am thinking of you all and hoping things are going well.
    Take Care

Hello Ladies

Hoping everyone is ok as it is VERY quiet in here at the moment.

Take Care xoxo

Hi ladies,

Just plodding along here. I'm up to 8 units of protophane in the evenings now. I had to go to the chemist yesterday to get some more as the device that the hospital gave me is nearly empty. Anyhow on the script It said one pack of 5 Protophane Innolet devices. Which is really a waste as each device holds 300 units of insulin and I only have 8 units per day. I asked if i could just get one and the pharmacist said, no she has to give me what is on the script. Anyway, she brings over 5 boxes to me and I go on my way. Anyway I've gotten home and each box has 5 innolet devices in it! So I have 25 innolet devices equating to 7500 units of insulin! I'm probably only going to need a max of about 200 units of insulin byt he time I have this bub so I'll have 24 devices that are a total waste.

Anyone need some insulin??? The chemist said to take back any unused ones and they'll dispose of them. I might donate them to the hossie though as I'm sure they will use them!

HI Ladies
    Went to Endo yesterday and as i thought my insulin has got up again, now i am having 16 units in the morning and 30 units at night so a total of 46units. I have been meaning to get Jaylan's book out so i could see how much insulin i had with him at this time. I might try and do it over the weekend as i need my hubby to get it off the shelf for me as i am toooooooo short lol.
    MamaSpice - i know what you mean about a waste of Insulin, they give you way too much i think and then they just get rid of it not only is it a waste of money but what about someone who could actually use it when we have finished with what we need. I too got 5 boxes of 5 Novomix pens and there is no way that i would go through that much, even with my levels being so high already.
    Hope everyone else is doing well.
    Trac

i've been slack, thought I'd better pop in! I've got my folks here atm and it's been all systems go rearranging the house for bubba.

That's so weird about how much insulin you get given, I'm lucky that my endo just gives me some. I went to get some more needles the other day, and he'd given me a form to update my membership to insulin-dependant. I hadn't realised but my reinstated NDSS membership had automatically gone to "I" so I didn't even need the form after all! I'm on 18units in the morning now which is what I got to last time, so with 5.5 weeks to go I think I'll be going higher. I've also used up the disposable pen they gave me so am now on a Novopen which is better, as it will give a higher dose than 18 units thank goodness lol.

Hope you're all feeling good, it's exciting to know that our bubs are getting ever closer. I'm starting to get excited now I have a nursery set-up!

Hi Girls!

Trac, I tried my luck with a little piece of shepherds pie the other night and got an 8.5! Defintely no more pie for me

Belfie, that must be lovely to have your folks around.

Well, afm, had a scan today. bub is measuring 3.9kgs already at 37 weeks mg: he has the cutest chubby cheeks tho My DD was born with chubby cheeks too.

I have a birth date! I might keep it quiet for now but it is co-incidently my dads birthday so hopefully a good omen. Lets just say I'm going to be a mummy of 2 in less than 2 weeks time

Hello
    Mamaspice - sounds like it isn't far away for you now YA!!!! Are you being induced or CS? Who would of thought that shephards pie would make your numbers go up but it did the same for me too. I am looking forward to hearing when your precious ub is born. How big was you DD born?
    Belfie - Hope your enjoying spending time with you parents and i can bet little Xander is..... hope you are keeping well.

To all those ladies out there that i haven't mentioned personnally i hope things are well.

AFM - not much is happening here at the moment. Did a little research yesterday about what my levels were like with my DS and at 38 wks i was on 86/88 units of insulin per day 40 am and 46/48pm. So i am over halfway there as i am on 46 units a day now 16 am and 30 pm. Wonder if this one will creep up as high as last time.
    I am feeling VERY tired today and really really really want to have a sleep but i guess that wont hapen while i am home alone with a 20mth and 5yr old

Take Care everyone and Chat soon

MamaS - ooh i'm so excited for you! Not long to go now, and oh your description of bubba's lovely chubby cheeks! That's so lovely about the date too but bummer re the shepherd's pie! I haven't tried any, and I don't think I will now lol. I've got a scan (placenta position check) tomorrow at 9.30am, I can't wait to see my little one again!

Trac73 - that is interesting re your levels. I know my dietitian said that cos i was on insulin last time I would be this time.. so I wonder if the levels of insulin get higher each time too? I know there was another girl here (preggie fuzzy brain I've forgotten her name) who was on 120 units of insulin by the end and next PG they were all convinced she'd get GD cos such high insulin - but she didn't even get GD! Has your doc spoken re dates/induction (or c-s) yet? I know my obs once told me if I was on 60+ i'd be looking at 38 weeks. But as it is I'm looking at 38.5 so not much difference really lol!

AFM mum & dad left today and DH is home again. I missed him soo much and he missed us so much - lovely to have him back. I've been feeling very off the last few days, my digestion playing up (my normal problem - VERY upset stomach) and coldy/fluey/something not sure! So am hoping I'll feel ok. Didn't even do BSL's this morning cos I felt so crap I just ate a piece of toast when I could, and slept. Still thrilled my nursery is ready though! and only 5 weeks to go... woo hoo.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast