Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes Chatter #6

Becci - late congrats from me too!

i'm also no use, I injected, wasn't offered the tabs as an option. I know there was a girl in here earlier with GD who was on tabs =- cos she was the first I've heard of with 'em. Tough call though, I can understand not wanting to inject again! good luck with your decision.

Thanks for your replies, I would like to think that taking the oral tablet would be a lot easier and keep me sane through to the end of my pregnancy but there is not enough research on the affect of the baby after it is born to reassure me that I should take the tablets. I have a week or two to decide before I start either one, I just want this pregnancy to be a happier experience then the last. Will keep looking for information to help me make the right choice.

Hi cja,
    What are your bsl currently averaging? Are these tablets the same that type 2 diabetics can use before insulin? It seems a little odd that you've not only been given the choice, but have another week or so! It sounds like your sugars are not terribly out of control yet, which is great. I imagine if they were consistently high, then they'd be hurrying to get them under control before your bub feels the effects of long term poor management.

I'd cautiously suggest that the decision is best made with the status of your sugars currently, how far along you are, and how hard to maintain it is with 'sensible eating' (as if that is possible during preg!). Don't be shy in asking for numerous opinions if you are hesitant on these tablets and have found there is not sufficient research for you to be comfortable.

All the best with the decisions!
    Anna

Hey anna, I am 23 weeks have been taking bloods for the last 5 weeks due to my Dr's receptionist, turns out I should not of worried about them till about now anyway, since I am not in my 3rd trimester. Any way my morning fastings suck failing about 2o r 3 a week and that is the reason I need the insulin, should be under 5.5 but just not getting there most mornings, daily ones are fine mostly under 6.8 which is my goal. the oral tablets are for type 2 diabetes metiform (close to that). cja

Ah, Metformin. You probably already stated that in the thread. Sorry. It's a really widely prescribed drug, and like most drugs on the market, it has risks (I learned in recent years that one of my insulins is not yet considered a safe drug!). Are you going through the private or public system? You might find a useful source of info is a diabetes educator, as well as an endocrinologist. Educators are a godsend to me with pregnancy and I can't think of a single time they haven't known what to do and how to do it quickly. That's the pro and con of diabetes in pregnancy - both that it is within a limited time frame, and that it is a limited time frame! Any longterm problems are not likely to matter as much, but then again you only have a few months to master perfect control so that bub doesn't gain excess weight and have issues at birth with low bsl, etc.

If you're after just personal opinions, I'd not be too afraid of the Metformin. It's a short term plan only. That said though, don't be bullied into anything that you just can't be confident with - and that goes for info on the internet, or from a well meaning doctor who is asking you to swing the impossible and be textbook managed!

Hello...doesn't look like there has been much action here for a while...but I just found out I have gestational diabetes and have started with the finger*****ing. I feel very peeved about it all - and know I have to just get on with it! Anyone else going throug this at the moment??

*slips in holding a cup of coffee with two ugly tasting equals in it*

Soooo pregnancy number two and here I am with the Diabetes again. I have been givin a blood glucose monitor of my own (didn't have to pay for it either, bless em) I have to stab my fingers 4 times a day - before every meal and then 2 hours after dinner.

Now I was doing fine for the first few days, all of them under 7. Then had a blow out as hubby put two sugars in my coffee and they shot up to 9.7! He was only trying to help, but he keeps forgetting and I should probably just make them myself from now on

I know when my sugars are up as I start to get a funny taste in my mouth, my lips dry out, I get thirsty, nauseas and tired (kinda like a hangover). I've been feeling like this for awhile and had to have the tests done twice before they found the diabetes. The same thing happened with my son in fact to the point where I begged my midwife at 36 weeks pregnant to let me do it again as I felt sick all the time. I kept ringing the hospital about how I was feeling and all I got was 'Oh are you a first time mother?' pffft, when I changed midwives and she ordered the new test - when it came back positive she said it was easy to ignore me because I was underweight! I was 40 kg when I got pregnant and got up to 54 kg with my son. (don't worry I'm not anorexic or nothing, I was a twin and born at 26 weeks myself so I've always been underweight) They found it at 36 weeks, and I really only had 4 weeks of monitoring. This pregnancy I weighed 48kg and am now about 58kg, I am hoping to keep alot of my pregnancy weight this time as I hate being so underweight and having to defend myself. So for some of you ladies don't be discouraged about your weight causing the diabetes, as I am from the other end of the spectrum and I still got diabetes, though my mother had it during pregnancy and my grandmother had it too.

In my house my MIL and FIL both have type 2 diabetes but don't look after themselves, the house is full of chocolates, icecreams, carbs ugh. MIL has been injecting insulin for years and FIL is an ex navy nurse but oh no, they have had diabetes for 30 years between them and all they do is complain!! I have to go shopping today when hubby gets home because I can't eat anything in the house .. apart from eggs. Yay!

I have a book to keep a record of my sugar levels and I also put down what I have eaten if they have elevated a little. Like the other day I had croissants, first time in years.. and bang straight up to 10.6 and felt yuck!

I guess there are worse things I could be suffering from! It's just a little sad looking at all the boxes of choccies I got for xmas sitting on the shelf, and watching DH eat 5 in one go. I only have one if my sugars are down to 5, and then it is one piece, but the best damn piece I have ever eaten!

I'm gonna read all your posts now, I just wanted to join you guys first
    Last edited by Linzy; December 30th, 2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: do you think I should draw eyes on my belly for my next ob visit?

Hellllllewwwwww.... anybody?

Bit of an update just in case somebody pops in

My bsl's are up the s**t I can't stay below 5.5 in the mornings, I can't stay under 9 - 2 hours after a meal, and my 2 hour after dinner levels are also always over.

I have massacred my diet with help from the diabetic nurse and educator, I eat porridge in the morning (absolutely no sugars in porridge what so ever) a cup of coffee with equals in it..bsl is at 9...it's hopeless I'm eating salads til they are coming out of my a**e and fruit, multi grain bread (though not all day) and bloody chick pea, baby corn salads, tuna, eggs, salmon..blah I'm starving all the time and I'm sorry but a bloody peach does NOTHING for the appetite when pregnant.

The annoying thing is I have not touched a single chocolate, ice cream, donut, cake, pizza shape, potato chips, mac donalds, kfc, hot chippies..nothing in over a month.

I go to see the diabetic nurse on monday, I'm really scared to show her my bsl book cos I have not made it through one day without going over the levels at least 2 or 3 finger p$%^kings. Sigh and I really tried my hardest, I don't want to inject but I can't stand being so hungry any longer. Surely it can't be good for bubs to be so hungry all the time

hi linzy

it's usually a bit quiet in here - i think there were a few of us last year but not many these days!

sorry to hear about your bsl. when i had GD i monitored my levels & maintained them through diet till i was about 31 weeks then they started rising & i went on to insulin. i was on fairly low levels & injected twice a day. it really wasn't that bad - in fact the insulin needles were less painful than doing the finger *****s.

i know it's annoying & kind of stressful to see the levels going up no matter how good your diet is - but that's the thing, in some cases we just can't control it & it's beyond our eating etc. i really didn't want to go on to inslun but once i was, i almost felt a bit relieved because i knew it would happen at some stage & it was good to just get it out of the way.

does exercise help your levels at all? i know it helped mine a bit but hard to get motivated or the energy!

the endo told me as well that by about 36 weeks things really settle down as well - i def noticed that with my levels because sometimes they still went up with the insulin but around 36 weeks they became really good again.

hang in there hun

Hi Linzy

I am an ex-GDer, but I do remember that it was such a relief to go on insulin and actually be able to eat again. I was getting high levels while eating like Kate Moss (minus the heroin lol), so as much as I didn't want the insulin it was fantastic to be able to actually eat a meal and not be constantly stressed out and starving.

Good luck.

Awww thanks girls

Actually just got back from the hospital today with insulin and needles as they said you can't just starve yourself to get the levels so I start injecting 6 units twice a day and we'll monitor that and see how I go.

The only concern (and they sent me for 4 blood tests to find out) is because I am so thin (was 38 kilos before first pregnancy, and 48 kilos before this one...I'm 58 now at nearly 8 months preggies) they think I could have an adult onset diabetes that effects underweight people called LADA or something. It's a Type 1 tho, so if I do have what they suspect I'll be on insulin for life. Eeeep!

Linzy, I meant to pop in here last week when I saw your post. Sorry about that.
    I know how frustrating it is when you do everything right and your levels are still high! The first morning reading is purely hormonal, so if that's high there is nothing you have done to cause that. That was my first one to need insulin for.
    I ended up on insulin 3 times per day with the most being 10units before bed to keep those morning levels right, but as Sloane said bsl's do tend to calm down towards the end of pregnancy. Mine did and my insulin was reduced and I was only on a small dose at the end.

I hope you can find something a bit more interesting to eat now I couldn't eat bread, rice, most fruit so it was frustrating. I lost weight in my pregnancy simply due to not eating much for a while there I think. I was so sick of eating the same thing over and over. Because of that, insulin was a bit of relief because I could have a little bit of rice, or a toasted sandwich.

Excercise helped my levels a bit too, but by about 33 weeks I was having trouble getting around with pelvic and back pain so I didn't do much at all.

Good luck, keep us updated with how you go once you start your insulin

Hang in there Linzy, it's not so bad. As a type one who has been injecting herself many times a day for over 30 years now I can tell you there are worse things in the world. If it is LADA you may be lucky and may go back to a period of what we call honeymooning where you may not injections for a while but yes if it is type 1 eventually your pancreas would cark it and you would nedd injections then. I know many people with LADA who have gone as long as 5 years or so after diagnosis without having to go onto fulltime injections.

On a good note at this stage you will find it all gets a bit easier usually from around 36 weeks.....most people tend to become less insulin resistant from about this time as the hormones shift around to get ready for birth so try and keep your chin up cos you're almost there now....and just think of all the xtra food you will be able to eat for the next few that you have been denying yourself...that has to be a bonus!

Hey Linzy,

I don't have much to add, just to agree with what all the others said. I too was a GDer last PG and ended up on insulin. I hope you don't have LADA and that doing the insulin now helps to keep things under control. I do agree that starving yourself can't be good for you or bub.

Oh and while I'm at it - anyone else got any suggestions for trying to avoid GD? I've lost 8kg (from pre-preg weight first time) and am making sure i walk every day, eat well etc.... but PG again now and fingers are firmly crossed!

Cheers,
    Belfie.

belfie - congratulations!!wishing you a very h&h PG

no real suggestions beyond what you're doing - the endo told me to do much the same but there's no guarantees it won't come back. wtg on the 8kg as well!

Belfie, congratulations . I managed to avoid GD in my second pregnancy even though I was on about 120 units of insulin every day with my first. But to be completely honest, I have no idea why. I was 5kg lighter before my 2nd and have permanently changed to low GI bread and rice but apart from that there isn't that much difference. I do have one theory though - prior to pregnancy #1 I was drinking a fair bit of Coke. I know that is one of the worst offenders for BSL spikes and I now suspect that it was one of the main reasons that I got GD (along with crappy genes, crappy eating habits etc) the first time but not the second when I had given it up.

Hi ladies

So far my insulin isn't helping a great deal, so am going up to 16 units a day (8 in the morning and 8 at night) until monday, then the nurse is gonna call me to see how I'm going. They are a little confused as to why the insulin isn't helping my breaky levels as I'm only eating weetbix or multigrain toast with equal sugar or vegemite..and still getting over 10 bsl. Soooooo we'll see what happens, the nurse did use the 'induce' word though if we can't stabilise them really soon

Linzy - That's a shame the insulin hasn't helped your morning levels. Have you tried any other breakfasts? I know when there was a few of us in here, what worked for one didn't work for another. For example beans are supposed to be low GI, but they always sent my BSL's up. It might be worth trying a few other things - can you stomach porridge? Or eggs?

Artechim & Sloane - thanks so much for the congratses. Well I'm a bit nervous. I've been doing a few random tests, and my fasting is often 6 or over. Dr Google (ha)! tells me that for GD that's enough to send me for a OGTT (and seems as though it would be diagnostic if I keep getting it). But ironically enough during my PG it was my post-meal ones that were always over, never my fasting. So i'm doing a fasting glucose blood test tomorrow and we'll see what that shows. I woulda thought it was too early for the PG to be doing anything though, as the placenta isn't really "in play" yet (so to speak!). Can you guys shed some light? Am I worrying for nothing? Thanks

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast