Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #3

Congrats on your results, Kirsten!
    That's awesome news.
    Kirsten, how far along were you when you were diagnosed with GD/diabetes?
    I've got my fingers crossed that after I have this bubba my levels are great like yours, knowing my luck they'll probably much the same as now. Lol.

melbel - Thanks for posting about that. I didn't know anything about the 4 to 6am stuff. Wow. That's interesting.

Kristale - Hi. Good luck with controlling your cravings. Fingers crossed the next 5weeks fly by!

Does everyone with GD(or normal diabetes) get induced if they go past their due date?
    I was told I'm not allowed to go past my EDD. I'm not sure if this is the same for everyone, or just me.
    I'm hoping I go a week early like I did with DS.

HI Tenny, I was 15 weeks when I was diagnosed with the GD. Made for a very long pregnancy! And as for results after your pregnant, the readings I had which said I had GD, are actually within normal range for Type 2 diabetes. So the chances of everything going back to normal are great! Apparently it does happen, but not often.
    Hope everyone is coping OK with the diets. I have found I have been eating low GI since having Ben even though I haven't had to. After having him, I actually weighed 10kgs less than when I first got pregnant with him. THat is what a healthy diet does!
    Good luck to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennykins View Post
    Congrats on your results, Kirsten!
    That's awesome news.
    Kirsten, how far along were you when you were diagnosed with GD/diabetes?
    I've got my fingers crossed that after I have this bubba my levels are great like yours, knowing my luck they'll probably much the same as now. Lol.

melbel - Thanks for posting about that. I didn't know anything about the 4 to 6am stuff. Wow. That's interesting.

Kristale - Hi. Good luck with controlling your cravings. Fingers crossed the next 5weeks fly by!

Does everyone with GD(or normal diabetes) get induced if they go past their due date?
    I was told I'm not allowed to go past my EDD. I'm not sure if this is the same for everyone, or just me.
    I'm hoping I go a week early like I did with DS.
    I was diagnosed with GD at 24 weeks. I wasn't able to do it diet alone, so I have been controlling it with Insulin Injections since about the 28th week. Because of this, the hospital I am going through have told me they will induce me, but they are inducing me before my due date. I am going in again this week, so it may change again, but they are inducing me about a week and a bit early.

Hi everyone,

Just found this thread...I was diagnosed with GD last week at 30 weeks and had my first appointment yesterday with the dietician and diabetes educator and started testing my blood.

A little confused because I had a wholemeal sandwich with salad and lean beef and no margerine and when I tested I was 7.4. Two hours before when I tested in the clinic I was 3.4. Is it perhaps I didn't have anything else? After dinner I scored a 5.4 which was good.

I know it will take awhile to get things in hand, just a little confused at the minute!

Hi Star.
    Sorry to hear about your GD.
    I find with me different types of breads give me different levels. It took me a little to figure out which breads were right for me. I found the 9grain bread works great.

It's so confusing and stressful at first.
    Good luck with it all. Great after dinner levels!!

Cherii - Oh ok. I feel like I hardly know anything. I'm so naive. I hope your appointment goes well and good luck with your impending iduction. xx

Kirsten - Get diagnosed early drags it out, I agree. I got diagnosed at 10wks, and they said it was type 2. I've had great diet control with it so far. My BT the other week gave an average results of 6.0 for the past 3 months. My OB said that was great.
    I'm hoping that after this pg things might go back to normal, but either way I'll still maintain a good diet as best I can.
    Congrats on your weight loss. That's awesome!

Thanks Tennykins,

It was a bit of a shock as I thought I had been doing everything right..oh well just something else to get used to!

Thanks for the advice about the bread, I had to buy lunch today so have had a rye bread with tuna and salad and an apple..will see what that does to me!

Star the 3.4 is what has thrown you out. 3.4 is actually too low, it is called a hypo to most diabetics. What your body has done has respond to that by releasing glucose stores from your body to correct it so that plus your sandwich has made your blood sugars a bit higher. I wouldnt worry about that one result, it ill likely not happen again. Also you can put the margarine or butter back on the sandwich if you like because the fat in it actually helps to slow down digestion and even out the blood sugar curve. The sandwich you had sounds really healthy and it is but it is also going to be absorbed quite quickly as there is not fat content to even out the digestion process. Does that make sense?

Star - Try Soy & linseed bread if you can. I was having many many ups and downs with what I was eating at first and it was very disheartening...but I was told that it would take a while for my levels to adjust, so don't be worried about that high one! I found Soy & linseed the best for me and then 9 Grain comes in second best. Tho different brands may cause slightly different readings. I was advised that if I was still hungry when eating a particular meal i.e a sandwich, just add more meats and cheeses and salads to fill you up. HTH.

Tennykins - you are not naive!! By any means. It takes time and asking questions to get the knowledge you need Thanks for the well wishes too!

Thanks Melbel & Cherie!

I did get a bit confused when they said keep adding vegetables, salads etc to things, but only eat to your appetite, so stop eating when you are full but make sure you are eating more in this trimester than the other two!

Thanks Melbel for explaining about the hypo reading, I had had breakfast at 6.30 but went to to the hospital and was there until 1 so I didn't get to eat until then!

Hi Everyone,

Thought I might join in here. Just found out today that I've got GD. I'm really quite surprised and depressed about it right now. My blood pressure has been up a little too so right now I'm just really feeling let down by my body. Normally I'm fit and healthy and now everything seems to be going wrong. I've got an appointment with an endocrinologist on Monday so I guess I'll be getting diet info etc then.

You guys all seem to be coping really well with the GD and hopefully I'll be in the same boat in a week or so. If nothing else its nice to know I'm not alone.

Heya principessa.
    Sorry to hear about your GD.
    When you get the news you do feel let down by your body, but it does get better.
    Although I still have times/days when I'm let down now by my body. It's just not as bad as it was.

I hope you start feeling better about it all once you've seen the endocrinologist and know more about it all.
    It is nice to know you're not alone. I know it's helped me a lot asking my questions here.

xx

Morning everyone,

Can I just ask is it normal for the morning test (after breakfast) to be reasonably high? Yesterday it was 7.4, today it was 7.8 I can't work out what I am eating incorrectly..I had two vita brits with some bran, skim milk and a banana.

Yesterday it evened out to 4.6 both after lunch and after dinner, I'm hoping that is okay as they never gave me a goal figure or anything like that to try to achieve.

Sorry to ask so many questions and bug you all!

Principessa, I know how you feel you then you are doing everything right and then you get tripped up. Hope you get some good information on Monday that will help you with the G.

Quote Originally Posted by Stars69 View Post
    Morning everyone,

Can I just ask is it normal for the morning test (after breakfast) to be reasonably high? Yesterday it was 7.4, today it was 7.8 I can't work out what I am eating incorrectly..I had two vita brits with some bran, skim milk and a banana.

Yesterday it evened out to 4.6 both after lunch and after dinner, I'm hoping that is okay as they never gave me a goal figure or anything like that to try to achieve.

Sorry to ask so many questions and bug you all!

Principessa, I know how you feel you then you are doing everything right and then you get tripped up. Hope you get some good information on Monday that will help you with the G.
    I found initially I couldn't really eat anything for breakfast but for a glass of milk and 2 digestive biscuits. Maybe you could call up the clinic you are going to and talk to them about it? It could be hormonal, or it could be what you are eating. I cannot say. All the best tho.

principessa76- don't be discouraged. It's out of your control as it's all down to the placenta/hormones, it's not because you are doing something wrong. The first week completely overwhelmed me and then I got used to it and got on with it. Just keep asking questions here when you want to know something and we will try n help out!!

Stars69, often people have more trouble controlling the levels in the morning or evening

a lot of people have higher sugars first thing in the morning and respond worse to food at that time. This is because your liver and kidneys dump all your excess insulin and other hormones and crap between about 4 and 6 am every day and starts fresh so an awful lot of people find they struggle at this time of day to matabolise even small amounts of carb. A trick is to have a low GI and low carb, high protein brekky and have your other carbs later in the day. Some people find they have a similar response at about the same time in the afternoon again low GI and high protein at these times seems to help. It is called the Dawn or Dusk phenomenon.
    They will probably just see what your levels are like with low GI diet and decide from there if you need insulin. I was allowed 5.5 fasting and 7.5 two hours after meals.

Hi there,

Thanks for the kind thoughts Stars, cherii and Tennykins. I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing now.

Just wondering did you all have to do a special diet before the 2hr GTT? The pathology place told me I had to do a diet but my OB told me not to worry. I'm wondering now if in my efforts to be very healthy over the days before the test that I may have influenced the results a little. The path place told me to fast for 8-12 hrs (so of course I thought 12hrs would be better) and I didn't have any carbs for about 20hrs before the test. Do you think this could have made things worse for me?

TIA

Hi principessa76

I work in pathology in WA at a women and childrens hospital and we do not get the patients to have a special diet before hand but I have heard of this in the eastern states and not sure why they do it. With the fasting as long as you didnt fast for more then 16hrs then the results would be fine and I'm sure the pathology have a reason behind the special diet and that it should not influence your results.

principessa76 - before I even knew I was pregnant I had a GTT and at that particular one I was given a high carb diet to follow 3 days beforehand and then I had to fast the night before. But when I found I was pregnant and then had another GTT, they didn't get me to do anything at all beforehand from what I recall, except don't eat breakfast before I came in for the test.

I've never heard of any special diets or anything.
    I've only had to do the fasting dealio.

I'm having a kinda really low day. I don't have them very often.
    My after lunch levels were the same as my first morning one, at 4.1.
    I'm feeling a little off anyways. I hate days like this. Lol.

How's everyone else feeling?

xx

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast