Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #4

Petals - Great to hear your scan went well. I think I'll be having another scan soonish. My last one was at 28wks. I can't wait.

Becci - Great reading!!

I've found soup goes really well. So we've been making different soups lately.
    It's been great especially since the weather has been so cold too.

Hope you had a great weekend & week ahead.

xx

So i got to see my endo today. He seemed pretty calm and relaxed which helped me. My poor finger is bruised from the sugar test he did but i've gone and bought a glucose meter today so tonight will be first test I've done myself. Quite nervous actually and scary that I have to do this 3 times a day.
    I have to report to him next Tuesday on my levels but he said to aim for lower than 7. I have to test 2 hours after my 3 main meals.

Question- When you buy stuff at groceries what is the amount of carbs/sugars that you look for in products? I know I can test out stuff and my sugar levels will tell me if they ok but I'm thinking if I know a gauge of the level of carb and subsequent sugars I should look for in product then I'll have a level to start at.
    I assume if the sugar reading is almost identical to the total carb reading, this means it's high GI. What what sort of carb level should i be looking at per serve of any product? Didn't really get information about this and forgot to ask.

SnowChickie - a serve of carbs is 15g. And I am allowed 2-4 serves for a main meal and 1 serve for a snack, so I can work it out form there.
    My dietician gave me a list of low GI foods but you can also get them from glycemicindex.com.
    HTH

Hi Ladies,
    I saw my endo today and feel a little better. He was very relaxed about the whole thing which helped me I think. He did a sugar test to show me how to glucose meter works and my poor little finger is bruised now.

I just did my first glucose test myself (very scared) but i put the setting on 2 for pressure and managed to get some blood but NO PAIN. I am SOO happy that it didn't hurt like the one the Endo gave me.

I got 4.7 tonight. I assume this is good??? He said under 7 is good. Is is good or a little low? If I get low levels like this can I afford to have a little more at my meal. E.g. tonight i had some chicken, a potato and some vegies. I probably could have had a little more chicken but otherwise was satisfied afterwards.

I'm about to have some warm milk with a teaspoon of milo as I found last night it helped and meant i didn't wake up this morning wanting to drink a 2L bottle of water in one go.

Feeling much better. Will see how I go tomorrow.

P.S. Also how many times do you use the needle? It says to change it each time, chemist said can use twice so i'm wondering what everyone else does? Also how do you dispose of them?

Snowchickie - I'm glad you're feeling better with it all.
    4.7 is really good 2hrs after food. Yay! No pain with the needle. Whoohoo! My first few times I struggled with getting enough blood out for the strip, so now I make sure I have more then enough. I'm a fool.
    I used to get bruised fingers from the finger pr!cks. I guess my fingers got used to it and have toughened up. Lol.
    As for the needle changing. I was told to change each time too. I used to but now I'm lazy. I don't see anything wrong with using it more then once or even twice.
    I was given one of those little yellow containers to dispose of the needles in. I have no idea where I take it when it's full though.

I'm crossing my fingers this all goes away when the baby is born. Not much I can really do if it doesn't though. It wasn't really diagnosed as GD, but it could still be I suppose.
    I'm getting sick of it and the tears about it all are coming back more.
    My poor DP puts up with alot of my crap.
    Last edited by Jewel; June 11th, 2008 at 12:40 PM.

Snowchickie - glad things went well with the endo. When I saw the Dibeties educator she gave me a yellow sharps container and told me to take it to the chemist when it was full and they will dispose of them. I guess the other alternative would be to put them through the sharps disposal at the hospital if you can store them safely until then. May be ask the chemist if they have containers for them, preferably childproof!! My sister had the stress of a needlesitck injury once so I am a bit podantic about this...

4.7 is a good reading - I would be happy with that! - keep them coming...

I tend to look for the items with 0 or as low as possible sugar from the range you are choosing from and then work out the proportion size I would get for the non sugar carbs and decide if that is enough to eat....

My lancetts last a day or so, I get a bit lazy about changing them...

SnowChickie - your levels do sound good to me. You probably could afford to have a little more carbs. Best to have them at your next snack though. Maybe some fruit or yoghurt (or both) for supper? Or next time have a little more potato or maybe some corn? and see how that goes. Remember 2-4 serves for a main meal.

I was told to only use the lancettes once too, but the chemist whispered that you can use them twice, so that's what I do. The first one for the mrning before and after brekky bsls, then the other for the post lunch and post dinner ones.

You can buy the yellow sharps containers at the chemist, around the $5 mark I think. Or you can use any plastic container with a slot for putting the needles in. Both types of containers can be taken to the local council for disposal. So if you are going to use a container from home, remember that you won't get the container back. So best to use a marg or ice cream container.
    I have mine in a little tupperware container and plan to take it to work to empty into thier sharpos containers. Cheeky I know, but that's the beauty of working in the health industry. lol

I found that milo really snet my bsls up, you might be fine though. Check out the Jarrah Chocolatte and Hot Choc mixes.It jars are much cheaper than the sachets too. They are very low carb. I think about 3g carbs per serve (mainly because you only add hot water - it must already have the milk powder in it). They are very nice and don't affect me so much. Have that with a couple of Snack Right biccies and thats supper for me.

Ok I hit a snag!!
    Breakfast this morning i had 2 weet bix with a chopped banana - levels 2 hours after was 5.3 which was happy with. Morning tea i had a pear, then lunch i had wholegrain sandwich with cheese, tomato & lettuce plus a yoghurt. Level after lunch was 8.2!!!!!!!!
    Was it the combination of fruit & yoghurt within a few hours?? Surely couldn't be the sandwich???

Should i still have afternoon snack if level still this high?
    I'm scared for dinner tonight now!!

hehehehe...sorry guys but I have to have a bit of a giggle here...Us type 1 D's have a saying that goes something like change your smoke alarm battery , change your lancet!! ROFL....... Please don't take that as advice but in all seriousness as long as your aren't sharing them they do last for a while in terms of sharpness.
    Oh and in terms of lancet devices some are infinitely better than others. The best one is called a softclix...it is dark blue and has the adjustable settings. The other ones that often come free with your meters are rubbish, painful and leave bruises unecessarily.
    Someone mentioned low carb chocolate....generally it is a waste of time as the carbs that are there are actually high GI defeating the purpose of making it low carb in the first place. If you like chocolate, Dark Chocolate is naturally low GI and is perfectly okay for ALL diabetics to consume...in moderation of course!
    Same goes for chocolate drinks....swap the milo for a dark chocolate substitute or a jarrah choc drink which has bugger all carbs in it.
    Someone else mentioned artificial sweeteners. None of these are approved for pregnancy but this is mainly because not enough studies have been done. Stevia is the best non caloric sweetener as it is natural not a chemical and you can get it from better health food stores. Nutrasweet is okay in small amounts. stay clear of anyting that has sodium saccharin or sodium cyclamate in it as these have been linked to birth defects and miscarriage in some studies.
    A great book for those who are learning about low GI is the low GI shoppers guide to Gi values 2008 australia and newzealand edition. It is pocket sized to fit in your handbag an I reckonis invaluable to have when doing the supermarket shopping to find the better alternatives. For example potatoes are generally high GI but you can get ones like waxy potatoes that are low gi and taste the same. Rice also is generally high GI but you can get doongara or basmati which are both low GI versions of rice. Pasta is generaly HIGH GI fullstop...... there are some brands that are better - the books tells you all about all the different brands on our shelves...it is really great and costs about $15 from any bookstore - I even think Big W stocks it.
    Snow chickie what would have put your sugars up after lunch is probably the yoghurt. Did you check the sugar content...yoghurt is really deceptive. The sugars in the fruit would well and truly have been metabolised lunchtime so it wouldnt be that. Sugar peaks at 1.5 - 2 hours after a meal and then starts to drop hence why you do the 2 hr post meal test.Vaalia do a low GI fruit yoghurt but most othe brands are actually quite high in sugars or fructose.
    Oh and a tip for label reading, in australia all ingredients have to be listed in order of amount from highest to lowest so if sugar, glucose, malt, fructose, lactose etc appear in the top 5 prolly not a good buy.
    Here endeth the lesson for today!!

Happy bsls girls!

cheers
    Mel

Thanks for that melbel. Such a lot of info there.

I just did a search on CalorieKing and it says there are no carbs in diet jelly. So I'm going to make some up and have for dessert tomorrow.
    If it truely doesn't have any carbs then at least I can have some in between meals when I'm hungry.

Does anyone else know much about diet jelly.

diet jelly is all good...just check which artificial sweetener they use (see above).

oh and be prepared....too much artifical sweetner can cause the runs, especially if you are not used to it!!!

Thanks again melbel. Will check on the sweetener.

The sugar free choc I had was really dark - 70% coco - thanks for the info Melbel I might go and check out a few more dark choc's for when my mental health requires some!!

Snowchickie - Bread is my nemisis, I usually try and avoid having anything remotly sugary with it. Yet I can have potato and pumpkin with dinner and a yogurt afterwards and be OK in terms of BSL's. Ironic given I work in the bread industry!

Ok the lunch part is frustrating me. My after breakfast and dinner levels have been in the 5.2 - 5.6 range but lunch has now been over 8 last two days.

Today I tried sandwich with low fat cheese (always have low fat), tomato and lettuce plus a mandarin but this time i used BURGEN Wholemeal and Seeds bread which is labelled LOW GI and when i read the nutrition info says that 1 serve (2 slices) is 17.3g of carb with 2.1g of that being sugar. Today my lunch reading was even higher than yesterday, 9.4!!!!

I also bought some Low GI multigrain wraps which says 16.6g per serve (1 wrap) and Low GI Tip Top 9 Grain Muffins which says 22g of carb with 2.4g being sugar.

I'm stumped on what to try now for bread!! argh..

Whatelse do people have for lunch?? I've pretty much had sandwich/roll with cheese/tom/lettuce for majority of pregnancy so this i think is where the spike in my levels is occuring. Just not sure how to control it and should i continue experimenting with different breads or try an alternative for lunch?

hmmm...i think you are right. I think you are just destined to have an after lunch spike because the food you are eating seems a okay to me. the only other option would be to try a zero carb lunch like meat and salad type thing with no bread and see if that helps. You don't "need" to have carbs at very meal as long as you have a balance through the day...just a thought. You can add healthy nuts like almonds and brazil and macadamias for extra protein too. (try to minimise the peanuts and cashews as they have a lot of fat). seeds like sunflower pumpkin etc are also good for an energy boost without the carbs.

Grr @ breads.
    I've found 9grain bread works the best with me. I'm not sure if it will for you or anything.

Thanks for the idea with the nuts and seeds, melbel.

9 grain is what I am having atm too. Not had too much trouble with it.

Snowchickie - I have the same issue with bread. Some of the options I have found are

Soup with only 1 slice of grain / wholemeal bread. If you buy a can you will see the carbs - although this is my reserve as it isn't too filling.
    An egg (or 2) on one slice of bread grain / wholemeal bread, get some tomato and avacardo or spinich to add to the meal (all day breakfast cafe's are very handy at the moment)
    A cafe near us does a warm roast pumpkin salad at the moment - which they make up fresh.
    Vegi lasagne from a cafe with salad, just eat some of the pasta, not all if there are too many layers, but pick out all the vegi's. Just check it is hot.
    One very desperate day I had a classic roast chicken pack from red rooster - 1/4 chicken with a small spud, carrot, peas and pumpkin.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast