Thread: Stuck with GD, want to know bout snacking

Default Stuck with GD, want to know bout snacking

Just got my pack yesterday, for trying to control GD with diet.

I have a little question, what do you do about snacking? I had a high reading this morning for my first test before breakfast and all I have had for breakfast was a glass of milk (trim) and am bout to do my 2 hour test in a few mins.

I just wanted to know how are you supposed to go about snacking if you are supposed to do these readings before and after meals?? Cuz having a snack would screw it all up. This is a bit confusing for me. Help please????

i snacked on sultanas and apples HTH!!!

but everyone is different i could eat pizza and have a low reading but eat a healthy meal lean chick and salad and woah watch the reading

btw a glass of milk is not going to cut it on a gd diet

I agree Milk is not enough.. It will make your levels too low which is just as harmful

For snacks I had vita wheats or arrowroots.. I couldn't have sultanas as they sent my readings to high..

You might have to play around with a few different choices..

I haven't been able to have anything for breakfast since I found out I was Pregnant because of morning sickness. So I am slowly going to introduce food in the morning back in. I am highly aware that healthy eating includes a morning meal especially in pregnancy, but if I am going to throw it up then I won't do it.

I know that all of this is going to be trial and error for a few weeks, but I just wondered how you incorporate snacks when you are supposed to do the test 2 hours after each meal....

oh I get you now I struggled with that as well.. My GD educators said eat if I was hungry but test before I ate and tried to space my meals out to at least 2 hourly..

Some days I didn't eat breakfast as I am not a breakfast person in general life. But I would eat around 9 or 10 when I felt hungry.

Also I assume you know about exercise? I tried to go walking in the mornings as that was when I felt I needed it the most.

Yeah, excersise is the one thing that is going to be hard for me to start up again and to be regular with. I just never have any energy and am always tired. But hopefully doing regular excersise will combat that. It's never too late...

I change my snacking depending on how I feel. I have Le Rice (apple cinnamon) it is low-gi and never affects my levels. Sometimes I will have fresh low-fat yoghurt or just fruit. All depends on what my body feels like. It is very frustrating though when you are absolutely hungry though.

As for exercise, I have only done my yoga this week, been so exhausted and no energy. I will find some time this week to do some exercise though.

Cherii I found some good snacks were no fat yoghurt and a piece of fruit, vita weets with peanut butter or vegimite and low fat cheese. I stuck with these because I knew they were ok. Now I've been doing this for 28 weeks I am much more relaxed. I can have a small choc milk or a piece of raisin toast. If I want to have something really naughty like a piece of cake or chocolate I have a really small portion but I was pretty strict when I first started.

Good luck. Keep posting your questions because every diabetic is senstive to different things and lots of girls here have some great suggestions, ideas and support.

Thanks Ladies!!!!

In between the meal and testing you can eat zero carb snacks. Then you can have a 1-2 serving of carbs snack.
    Fruit is good and all dairy is low GI. I also often had a cold milo, peanuts, crackers and cheese (not too many crackers though), K-time bars. It is a bit of trial and error, as the other girls have said it is different for everyone.

Check out the Diabetes australia website. it has some recipes for snacks. I made them, and still make them (because I'm now pre-diabetic after having GD during my last pregnancy) there is a good recipe for biscuits and a slice that uses oats predominately, and tastes yummy. There is also a great magazine available at newsagencies that comes out every two months, that is chocked pack full of recipes. If I was going out, i would take a snack bag of mixed fruit and nuts and sunflower kernals. If you want the recipes PM and I will get them to you. HTH. initially its trial and error, the oddest things would send my readings sky high - and then the things that I thought would make it go up didnt...

If it is similar to Type 2 diabetes...my DP has this and have to do alot of trial and error and it isn't always what the professionals say, it depends on you.
    Anyway try to limit your fruit intake as these contain alot of natural sugars and will put your level up straight away. Especially dried fruit as this is alot higher again. You would probably do best on whole foods, meaning without lots of preservatives and additives. Eat heaps of vegies and try pita bread, there is a good brand out there called Mountain Bread and they have heaps of different types like corn and rye etc. We have just switched to eating our dinner meal in the morning instead and i know it would be a little hard for you atm but i really think this has helped DP's levels to come down, then a salad pita roll or two for lunch and then just a plate of vegies for dinner or you could stirfry your vege for something a little different...it does take a few days to get used to and you do tend to eat a smaller portion as well as you just don't feel like eating a massive meal in the morning. Try snacking on a healthy smoothy during the day.

Remember your first morning reading is your fasting one and it will always be higher, however it is the most important reading of the day.

Yeah it is most certainly trial and error. I just hope I can handle this and not end up on the insulin, tho right now I am not so sure.

Thanks for the hints and tips ladies. I think I will pick up that Mag that you said about -astnatlaur- I think I have seen it at Woolworths, I guess now is as good a time as any to get started.

Danniim I'm the total opposite to your DP. I can't eat too much for breakfast, two pieces of toast put my levels out of range but am able to eat a good sized dinner, with heaps of vegies of course, protien and carbs (though not too many).

Cherii - there is also an extremely good book that I wish I had when I was pregnant, I only it got after being diagnosed with pre-diabetes and was recommended by my GP. its called: The New Glucose Revolution - Diabetes & Pre-diabetes hand book: The essential diet and lifestyle guide. Brand-Miller, Foster-Powell, Colagiuri, Barclay

It has a multitude of fantastic information - from particular brand types that are low gi - to recipes (which I have made alot of and are very yummy) to menu plans. Its great. There is a comprehensive chapter particularly regard GD, but the whole book is applicable.

I snacked on low fat yogurt,
    those fruit in natural juice jelly crushables I think they're called?
    half a glass of milk with a tspoon of milo,
    Bou Jou(sp?) mix it's the one with split peas and spicy peanuts in it,
    I made my own icey poles with half water half natural juice,
    half a bran muffin from muffin break,
    half a bar of those AO chocolate brownie's,
    pumpkin and sunflower seed cob loaf from Brumby's with olive butter,
    fruit with low fat icecream,
    Ice coffee made with decafe, skim milk and low fat icecream no sugar but the sugar from the ice cream is enough, dissolve the instant coffee in a little hot watter then add ice cream till it melts then add milk and use an ice cream blender to froth it up.

My snacks are different depending on the day:
    - Le Rice (Apple and Cinnamon)
    - Fruit (grapes or apples)
    - Cheese
    - Yoghurt
    - 1 low gi biscuit
    - handful of nuts