Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dannii Minogue transfers to hospital...

what i find frustrating is that we just need ONE person to get on the media and explain that what happened in the Minogue case was an example of the effectiveness and safety of a homebirth. that the moment a qualified care provider (in this case the midwives) were able to assess that there needed to be a transfer that one was done. It could also be really helpful in mentioning that many HB midwives have 'planned homebirth transfer bookings' in place through major hospitals. (for example, i have a 'transfer booking' with the RWH here in melbourne...that way they know how i am and have all my pregnancy info on record if the need arises that i and/or bubs needs to transfer). I think the common misconception for those against HB is that women and families that choose to have baby at home are anti-hospital....because i for one am not. I believe that hospitals have a valuable role in the care of mothers and babies, but i dont for a minute believe that it is the best (or safest) place for a baby to be born in a normal birth scenario (this is why we chose to go HB...not because it is 'fashionable'...cause is it really?) Also, i guess the mainstream anti-HB representatives are all too keen to portray those of us that choose to have baby at home as 'ignorant' of the risks that can be part of pregnancy and childbirth. to me, that only highlights that they have NEVER actually been apart of a HB and seen the extensive, involved prenatal care that is provided by an IM. I had a private hospital birth with DD and I was informed of NOTHING regarding her position, her heartrate, my BP etc. The 10-20 minute appts with my OB didnt allow for any involved information or discussion of how i felt the pregnancy was progressing or how he felt it was progressing. BUT my 2 hour + appts with my midwife do. during the course of our appts i am able to properly synthesise any queries/concerns etc that i may have with the pregnancy, myself or bubs and TBH i have a MUCH better understanding of what is happening and going on and can feel a hell of a lot more confident of knowing if something is not feeling right.

But i guess until we get more people seeing more normal, non-managed births there will continue to be a fear of the 'unknown' as it challenges far too many preconceived notions of modern childbirth and obstetrics.

Ooright I finish my journalism degree next year....first thing on the list, write a positive article about homebirth LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    There is no difference between this transfer and a person being transferred from a small hospital to a larger hospital. Doctors do this all the time and it is not a problem. Yet if a homebirth transfers to hospital then it is, apparently, a failure and a good reason not to birth at home.
    Exactly Alan! I commented and used the example of 'no different to being a private patient in a private hospital that doesn't have emergency facilities, you would be t'ferred to a public hospital if it is an emergency/warranted.'

Sorry i dont have time to read all the replys but can someone tell me if its been released yet why she needed to transfer?

I hope she is still pro HB!

Congrats Dannii!

Quote Originally Posted by PollyA View Post
    Also there is something so very wrong with someone who thinks that kids would be asking for dinner or a partner asking about feeding the dogs, when a life changing, amazing event was happening in their family and their home. That might be a sad reflection of her relationships, or a poor attempt at humour.
    So frustrating to portray something so beautiful in such a blah way.
    My thoughts exactly.

Seems to me like some of the homebirth opponents think it's all about squatting on the loungeroom or kitchen floor with no doctor or plans for emergencies, & hoping for the best.
    When in reality it is the homebirthing mothers who are going to be among the most educated and aware. You don't decide to homebirth without a lot of thought & consideration - how can they not understand this?

The vice president of the NSW college of Midwives was invited to speak on ABC radio Sydney the other day. I was really impressed that they chose a professional actually experienced in HB to comment. There were some great calls - people who shared how valuable HB is, but there were a couple of nutjobs too of course. Here's what upsets me the most about some of the media's and some of the public's assertions about HB:
    1. That IM's are somehow not medical professionals. (I think this has already been well-covered in this thread!)
    2. The assertion that women who choose to birth at home are somehow selfish. Everyone is up in arms because they are putting their own 'silly' needs before that of their child. Besides being outright incorrect, I find this intensely hypocritical. Do we criticise mothers for choosing to have analgesia/epidurals during their labours? Not likely. We trust mothers to weigh up the risks of analgesia to their babies versus the benefit to themselves. And so we should! It's a woman's choice and I think that's very widely recognised. Why can we not allow mothers the same choice in where they birth?
    Last edited by Snacks; July 14th, 2010 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Forgot to say what she's vice president of! LOL!

We may never know why she transferred, and I guess it isn't anyone else's business.

If anything, stories like her's just renews my faith in the homebirthing process. That it does work. Transfers do happen from time to time. And no midwife is so gung-ho to see anyone have a homebirth that they won't transfer if the need arises. Just my thoughts.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345