Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: recipies for cooking placenta *click if you dare*

Trish that was really interesting about the remedy.. i would have been into that had i thought or known about it at the time.
    Not sure that i could personally eat it but i can imagine that it would probably be good for you esp if you lost alot of blood.

Jane, glad you found it an interesting read

Yes you can reap the same benefits (spiritually) & from a healthy tree by buring it in a pot.. Then move it with you if you move houses!

In Bali we have large ceremonies for the burial of the placenta, it is classed as the babies twin/soul... They will forever know where their life began & where they belong. But in Bali they dont sell houses & move, they grow up in the same house & die iin the same house!

There's another thread in here about it... Not sure where it is, (mods!?)

paradise lost Guest

Not eating mine would be about hassle rather than disgust, if you get me. I didn't even see mine because the midwife had bagged the "messy" bits from the birth by the time i managed to break eye contact from my new daughter, so just seeing it would be something next time I probably couldn't be bothered cooking it, but Schaz if you wanted to come over and cook it up for me i'd sit down and eat it, sure, why not. Would this be included in a Doula's services? Preparing and cooking the placenta for consumption..? You could charge a little extra...

Mrsmac i do think cows realise the benefits but i think the premium benefit is not having a strong-smelling trail of warm offal leading predators to their just-able-to-stand baby.

I don't feel very holy-holy about it to be honest. I wouldn't bury it except under rhubarb (which thrives on rotting meat - all our smaller pets went under the rhubarb when they died), because most plants don't like dead meat. It's not a special thing to me. When it joins the baby to me, yes, but once the cord is cut and it's out of me it's just an no longer required organ, so i wouldn't need a ceremony to eat my placenta and onions, just a fork.

Bx

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I have heard of women eating their placenta. Not where I come from, but I did have a friend of my ex-SIL who did it. I thought it was very brave, and very special, even if I didn't quite get it. My XH buried all mine bar Charlie's, as my DH wouldn't have a bar of it.

paradise lost Guest

But Caro, when you cut your finger, don't you suck it for a second while you're heading to the sink to wash it?

Bx

Euch, I don't - I hate the taste of blood! I let it dribble down my arm
    I'm sorry to those who missed out on seeing their placenta... Perhaps I wasn't as focussed on my little girl as I should've been, LOL, but I was really keen to see it. My own brand of life support system. I find it fascinating, but I was not tempted to eat it or touch it.

Hmm, where'd my post go!???

Anyways I was shown my placenta each time & think it is an amazing thing!

I was talking to a gf last night (who will be there when I give birth, heck her 3 yo wants to see bubby come out of auntie schaz - so it could be a busy birthing room! - I'm NOT pregnant!) and we were discussing things like that - she fully supports me in my choice (and will be REALLY noisy if I don't get my way), DH has been told that when we've had our babies that I'd like to bring the placentas home. He understands that it is something "tribal" that is linking me to it (his x was flat out touching the babies after birth let alone wanting anything to do with the placenta).

I was fascinated by my placenta after DS's birth (don't worry, DS was with the paed LOL) but I have no desire to take it home and eat it or plant it or anything. It's done it's (amazing) job, time to go in the infectious waste!

Aawww I kind of wish that I had a chance to see mine now... I remember them pushing on my stomach after she was out (c/s) and I said what the hell are they doing and the anaesthetist says - getting the placenta out and I went - ooh yeah! ROFL! I was way too busy watching DH with my girl to really think about it but I think I will definately want to see if when no#2 arrives (no not pg). But eating it or even touching it? Nope I don't think so - but then I am the person who gets squeamish touching and cutting up chicken !

um yes i must admit, the idea of cooking and eating the placenta is Waaaay beyond me however definitely planting the placenta in our garden is something we've talked about and DH is very keen, it was his idea

but no, not going anywhere near our kitchen! (we respect others ideas however)
    Last edited by Shanti; November 17th, 2007 at 11:05 AM.

I am with you Mummymel, I dont think I could eat it any way cooked or raw! I have tried many animal meats but that is something that came from inside you and that alone puts me off!
    Any of you girls that try it let us know what it taste like!

I honestly think if the tradition wasnt to bury it with my DH's culture & it was to eat it, I think if he had come home cooked it up (with plenty of chillies!) & then served it up to me I probably would have eaten it!???

lol yep ewwwwwww but each to their own. I would plant it though, just not eat it. But I wouldn't eat my leg if that was removed either.

Ellibam Guest

the placenta is actaully the babies.... not the mums(iykwim)
    Arquenes is still in the freezer while we decide what to do with it

Mmm no dont think I could do it either only cause when I seen mine and went green in the face..

Well, we now have a placenta in the freezer too. Mmm, anyone want to come around for dinner

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast