Thread: Any Suggestions?

Default Any Suggestions?

Hi Everyone

This post is on behalf of my SIL - she called and asked me for advice last night - over the last few weeks she's tried anything I've suggested and they haven't worked... as my DS is now almost 10yrs its been a while and I'm a little rusty

Her daughter is going to be 12 months old next week and she has been breastfeeding her on demand - she introduced solids at 5months.

She's ready to start weaning her, but bubs is refusing to take any other milk except breast milk.

She's tried all sorts of milk, all different ways - in a bottle, cup, etc etc - She'll drink any other form of liquid (juice, water, etc) - just not milk.

SIL has even tried milk with her cereal, etc - she won't eat the cereal unless its mixed with breast milk..

SIL is starting to stress a little and needs some thoughts or suggestions - everything I've said that worked with my DS hasn't worked for her...

Any suggestions???!!!!

Thanks in advance,

Holly

Has she tried mixing the other milk with EBM? I have heard of people having success with that. I also found it worked with cereal when Jack initially wouldn't eat it with cows' milk. I used water or EBM and added a small amount of cows' milk on day 1, a little more on day 2 etc - within a week he was having only cows' milk (but it could take longer than a week too!). GL, I hope she finds something that works.

Thanks so much!

I will have to let her know your suggestions - and hope that they work!

Let me start of by saying this is NOT a good suggestion but we were stuck. After my DS turned 2 we decided it was time to wean, however ran into the same problesm. I ended up giving him warm milk with a teaspoon of strawberry quick. We reduced the amount each week until there was nothing left. Bm is just much sweeter than cows milk I guess?

Sarah - Don't feel bad... that was one of my suggestions initially - Its what we did with Luke ... ahhh - she has tried every flavour - Baby Alex isn't fooled

Hi,
    Your SIL's baby doesn't need milk! She can quite adequately get all her dairy requirements (about 600mls per day) out of yoghurt, cheese (ie a cheese sandwich for lunch) etc.
    It's great that she will take water, which is the only other drink she needs.
    Regards
    Barb

Barb,

Thank you so much - she will be so relieved to hear that!

She's brilliant with eating & drinking lots of different types of things, and I know she has been giving her yoghurt, so that will be a load off her mind!

Thanks again!

Holly

We did the mixing thing that Manta suggested. But Barb is right... they don't need it if they are meeting their dairy needs through food. If they have a small bowl of yogurt... then a drink of water... it just mixes up in their tummies to almost be digested as milk anyhow... just try to get the low-sugar yogurts. Yogurt aint yogurt... some are basically a dessert with minimal nutrition I think (Ski, Nestle etc)... Jalna and the organic brands are much better IMO.

If she does want her to take some milk, could she try someone else giving it to her DD while she isn't there??? I tried for months and months with Iz and she finally started taking a bottle when I wasn't around.
    Good luck to her I hope she works it all out!!

Thanks girls

I think SIL is ready to wean for herself - she has just put Alex into day care for 2 days and has started to go to the gym, etc - they had been tossing up any more children but have decided not to - Alex is their 2nd bub.
    She also got AF back this week, so I think she's doing 'closure' on all things baby!

Thanks so much for everyones advice