Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding after 12 months

Yay - i get to join this club too!!!!!!! I'm b/f Ella first thing in the morn and in the afternoon. Am currently TTC #2 so we'll see if this affects the feeding. Am not in a hurry to stop with the b/f...which is funny for me as i expected i'd feed til 12months max. Would like to continue til the end of the year if all goes well

I fed Noah until he was 20 months old when I was recommended to stop as I needed to have dental surgery...

Tehya is still going very strong atm and she is 18 months old. I have no plan on when we will stop. It's all up to her.

Big pats on the backs girls on being so persistant in feeding our bubby's for so long. The trials and tribulations we may have came across. More power to us

Fire Fly Guest

I feed DD till she was 2 and plan on feeding DS for as long as he wants. He is only 8 months atm but still going strong.

I am still breastfeeding Charlotte and she is 18 months old. I am working full-time but I still manage to feed her in the morning and before bed. We are both still enjoying it so it will go on for as long as Charlotte wants to.

Its so fantastic...seems like there are so many of us!!! I b/fed my girls til 18 months but felt like that was sooo unusual...its great its becoming more and more common.

Jo

I was so sad when Jack self-weaned at 14 months. I am now convinced it was due to me being pg again and I think my milk just dried up. I was surprised to conceive again as I was losing weight with bfing and I thought my body wouldn't support it. But I think intead, once I was about 3 months pg, my body decided to nourish bub rather than toddler.

I still feel sad that Jack didn't get to feed for longer, but I also feel proud that I fed for as long as I did. I got through a terrible first week where tongue-tied bub couldn't attach at all (and screamed with hunger), then fed with nipple shields for a further 3 weeks during which time I had mastitis twice, cracked nipples and almost every other cause of pain possible. Things improved after the tongue-tie was snipped but I still had intermittent bouts of pain. I also returned to work initially full time, then 4 days a week when Jack was 7 months and not yet taking solids, but I managed to avoid formula by going to feed him at lunch times and expressing twice a day (I was blessed with a very good milk supply).

I might also say that I fed through a lot of pressure to wean Jack once I was pg again, but lasted another couple of months until the milk went and Jack decided he was ready to stop. But I am definitely hoping this one feeds longer than 14 months!

Aleanbh Guest

Default Breastfeeding post-12 months and pregnant

Hi everyone, yep I am doing it, but am tired. If I weren't preg I would keep going til age 2 minimum. But am thinming of weaning him before bub comes in December
    A

Morv & Melanie...
    It's so hard once we return to work full time, but it makes me feel better for having to leave Indah 5 days a week to be able to walk in the door & she wants my milk & knows she can have it....
    I also had a good supply & could get 200+ml per expressing session 2-3 times a day...

I am so stoked that second time around I have breastfed, let alone a whole year (well in 2 wks!)

I agree Tracey. So much nicer to have that special "booby time" with them after being apart. I'm so glad I kept bfing after returning to work. I suspect that more women would if they knew that some of us have done it successfully.

Hi A - you would be tired!!! I really admire the mums who are growing a new baby and are still nourishing another. It must really take it's toll on your body. You should all be very proud of yourselves - and when the time comes to wean just remember what a terrific gift you have given to your child I'm currently TTC #2 and am hoping to be able to bf til the end of the year- so you ladies are an inspiration
    I'm really excited to be apart of this thread!

With my daughter (first bub) breastfeeding was a real hurdle to say the least. I was convinced that I would breastfeed (didn't really even factor in bottlefeeding) but it turned out to be the most difficult thing I have ever endured (both emotionally and physically). I persisted and after 10 weeks of toe curling pain and dreading her waking for a feed it gradually got better (slowly!). I then went on to feed her until she
    was 14 months, even after going back to work 3 day per week when she was 5 months old and only then stopped because she wasn't really interested any more. It was a sad day to end it all, especially after the rough start that still brings tears to my eyes as I write about it.

I am now breastfeeding my 5 month old son and plan to do so until he doesn't want to any more. Again the start was rough. Again I sat in tears as I fed him - but knew I could do it (although I did have real doubt at times).

I just wish that more information was out there before you have bub to really prepare you for the ups and downs. I went to breastfeeding class before my daughter was born and after the first time round thought the second time may have been easier (it was a little, but not much). Nobody said about how much it could hurt - all the information says it shouldn't if you are doing it right. I went to midwives and lactation consultants who all agreed that everything seemed OK - but it HURT and took perseverance and determination. Starting breastfeeding is the hardest thing I have done in my life, but I am very proud of being so damn stubborn and not giving up. I am also proud that I went on to get to 14 months.

I am glad that others think like me and feed their babies 12months plus. So many people are surprised that I fed my daughter until 14 months and intend on doing so with my son.

Congratualations all who do what is best for their children and stand up against the stigma (for want of a better word) of breastfeeding for longer than what is perceived a baby.

Sim, good on you hun. Funny how when you are shown things about bfing how happy anc comfortable the mum is feeding her brand new baby. Perhaps they should say, you nkow what, yes it is going ot hurt or be uncomfortable for a couple of weeks. BUT, it truely is worth all of the pain. Abit like childbirth really

What a great post Sim. I completely agree. There really is not enough information out there. Its not like we all chat about breastfeeding and the expectations of it. I think its great though that so many of us are breastfeeding longer and that it is becoming more normal to do so...it breaks down walls so to speak.

I also had very sore bbs in the first few weeks despite correct attachment. I think that is very normal. Any ongoing contact on bbs that are not used to it no doubt causes tenderness. I didnt like being told that i mustnt be doing it right if its hurting (one midwife said this) when I could see that she was and that she was gulping and putting on substantial weight.

I think this site is great because its women supporting women doing what women naturally are able to do.

Jo

i thinks its great so many of us are Bfing. I went back to work PT when Jordan was 3 months old and was expressing up until 2 weeks ago. He is still have 2 feeds from me when I am at work and 3 when I am home.
    A lot of the people at work think its abnormal I would want to continue feeding him, they think I should just have bottle fed him.
    I guess until you are BFing you dont realise what a lovely thing it really is. I never thought I would enjoy it as much as I do and I would like to continue Bfing until Jordan decides he doesnt want it. I know I will be devasted when he does stop though

Thanks so much for sharing that with us Sim - if only more people had the same determination as you...well done!

Tracey - good on you for continuing the feeding whilst working as well. It really is great to see that there are woman who are b/f past 12 months. It's a wonderful and very rewarding achievement.

I'm starting to fear that my b/f time with Ella is coming to an end. She really is loosing interest and is beginning to fuss at the 2 times a day i feed her. The morn feed is ok but the afternoon is almost impossible to keep her on. I'm beginning to think i actually might be pg (well hope so cause at least i'll have an explanation for Ella's lack of interest).

Hi Girls,

I breastfed my DD until she was almost 16 months. The only reason we stopped is because I had to stay in hospital for a few days following the loss of our second baby (fell prg with #2 when DD was 12 months and continued to breastfeed) and I was just in too much physical (due to complications) and emotional pain to continue, it was just getting too hard.

I am very proud for getting as far as I could but sometimes the circumstances of her weaning are a little upsetting.

I'd like to breastfeed for even longer next time if I can manage it!
    Last edited by Willow; September 7th, 2006 at 08:34 PM.

9 months and going strong!!

I can now post in here & say I HAVE made it past 12 months!!!!!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast