Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scared- first IVF cycle

Default Scared- first IVF cycle

Hello all,
    I am about to embark on my first IVF cycle and am feeling quite scared. Have been going through a bit of anxiety and depression lately and am worried that the IVF stuff will further aggravate things. Just looking for some reassurance and some advice on what to expect. Have just started primolut yesterday which I wil take for 7 days to bring on AF then the ball will start rolling!!!
    Thanks in advance for any comments.

It is normal to be a bit scared when starting something so new, unknown and when there is so much riding on the outcome . There are plenty of others in your situation or who have been in your situation that can give you some guidance on here. So I am glad you have posted looking for support and advice.

For me IVF is a emotionally challenging journey more than a physical one, but everyone is different, and some find it the other way around or both. I think managing your expectations and accepting that there will be moments of frustration, bewilderment, sadness, discomfort but also hopefully joy during IVF and afterwards, can help prepare and help get you through the journey the best you can.

If you don't feel you are ready for it right now, be honest with yourself and consider delaying if that is what feels like the right thing to do.

As you go through the IVF process ask as many questions as you want to of the medical professionals. It is their responsibility to help you and support you too. Don't let them fob you off if you don't feel satisfied with their answers. Some women tell their nurses to cut the bull **** and give them the facts if that is what they want.

This may be sounding a bit blunt but this has been my experience to date if that helps.

I will move this thread into the LTTTC/AC area where you may get more replies as there is more activity in there.
    Good luck and ask lots of questions of us!
    xx

Ann what you are feeling is normal sweetie and for me I apporached each cycle as one step closer to reaching my goal and the control freak in me felt like I was doing something.

As to the protocol dicuss that with your FS but usually it is a set of 10-14 days on each drug to get to the next step

The best advice I was given came from my FS sometimes it takes I cycle to get that dream BFP but mostly it takes 6 + and not to be too hard on myself we would get the drugs right and make a baby. Well she is due in 2 weeks after the 6th cycle.

My whole story is in my blog feel free to follow the link in my signature and have a read and

Cadence I am also about to start my first IVF cycle and like you already have a 2 yo, a son, and have been TTC #2 for around 18 months.

Can't give much advice on what to expect as I have no idea myself but can be here to support and help. I am on the pill at the moment and due to start taking syneral in a couple of days.

I wish you the very best of luck. Try and relax and feel positive about the fact that you are taking active steps to get closer to your goal!

Hi there! I'm just doing my first IVF cicle this month... It's my 5th day on Puregon. Today I had a scan and my doc said likely to have egg pickup on Friday!!!! and ET on Monday... Tomorrow I'm having another scan to confirm. I didnt have any side effects from drugs... just noticed more pimples on my face...
    Good luck for you all!!

Had egg pick up on Monday. Collected 13 eggs and it was very exciting for me and my DH. Yesterday I got a call from the lab saying that none of the eggs have been fertilized... I was devastated... the worst thing is that no one (family and friends) know about what's been happening to us and I don't have anyone to share with....
    Today lab called again to tell me that 6 eggs are dividing... late fertilization???? Well, now I just have to wait until Saturday and confirm if I'm going to have an ET...or not...

i was in your place one year ago and very scared, but i don't think it was as bad as i expected. i gained a little weight, which i have lost most of it ( prob wasn't eating well, maybe have something to do with weight)
    it was a bit scary but i am going to do it again. good luck x

hi esperan, my clinic lets us ring and speak to the embryologist every day, perhaps you can ask to do the same. we find it really helpful to find out what's happening.

cadence and kmond - ivf is definetly a journey that will change you. But like dusty said, if you are not feeling ready mentally, put it off for a few months til you do feel so. I don't find it physically too bad, although i'm very brave with needles now, but by the end of the 6wks of medication (full stim cycle), i'm really emotional and just happy for it to be over. your clinic should offer counselling, take advantage of it if you need it. i also found these forums helpful and a book called IVF and Ever After - information was my friend.

one little thing we found - my first cycle i didn't exercise (despite being a runner) much as I was pretty tired. Second cycle i forced myself out there and regularly ran 20-30km a week. DH and I believe all that extra oxygenated blood circulating around me during egg growth really amde the difference. We got 2 more frosties than last time and one has stuck! (so far). - more eggs and better quality embies.

dh is also on Menevit- a vitamin to help with the spermies. you can get it from an online pharmacy.

not sure if any of that helps but good luck with it.

Meo Guest

Cadence, I just went through IVF round 1 in Jan/Feb this year. I have to say I was a little reluctant initially and did 2 IUIs first as wanted to try as close to "natural" conception as possible. After our IVF round, we now know that it's not going to happen for us without extra the extra intervention of ICSI as well.

I'm not too worried by needles, but found that the psychological hurdle of stabbing yourself in the tummy is something that I really needed to think through as I was doing it, or the injections just wouldn't have happened. Other than that, my only issue was a couple of snappish moments with DH (which I apologised for straight away, so no big issues left over!) and feeling extremely bloated as I approached the egg pickup.

We got six eggs - 4 mature but only one embryo which wasn't dividing properly. Didn't find that out until I went in on the day of transfer and to put it bluntly, it was devastating. I still don't know how I managed not to cry in the doctor's office but I felt that the relative anonymity of the street was a better place for it! Go figure.

Anyway, we took a month off, allowed AF to reappear and started on the Pill again for a full stim cycle again this time. Just finished the Pill bit today, have been on Synarel for a week and got a scan next week (just need to book it) and we'll see how we go this time around. I'm feeling hopeful because my FS said that the first cycle is usually a bit of a trial run to make sure that drug dosages etc are working at the right level so they kind of don't get your hopes up too high (good and bad in some ways). As I said, we've discovered from that cycle that we'll need about as much intervention as you can line up to actually get pregnant so we're incorporating ICSI and possible embryo glue this time around, just waiting to see how we go.

Esperana - good luck. I hope your transfer goes ahead and everything works out wonderfully for you. Thinking of you for Saturday . . .

yeah, that's one thing i should have written... lower your expectations. i'm not saying give up hope, but like meo our first cycle didn't work.
    however we did at least get a transfer and one frostie.
    we also have icsi as apparently we are both a bit useless at baby making naturally. lol.

hugs for you meo. we got our first ever bfp on our first transfer of the second cycle, which i responded to better... so don't' lose hope. our nurse told us every cycle can be different even if its the same protocol.

Hi Girls!
    Thanks for all the support! Actually typing through this forum and reading about each of your experiences gave me a lot of more hope...
    Unfortunatelly my ET was cancelled due to poor egg fertilization! 6 of the eggs that surprisingly fertilized later on the week didn't get into blastocyst.
    I was very sad today... I really thought the spirit of Easter would give us a little miracle...Didn't cry much though... had already cried my eyes out last Tuesday when the lab told me that NONE of the eggs were fertilized... I was in SHOCK... emotions were Up and Down this week!
    But I guess we have just to keep trying... Doc has already organized our next cycle plan, this time I'm going on the full stim cycle with Synarel (last time was antagonist) hope this give me luck!
    Happy Easter to you all and Baby Dust!

hugs for you esperan. sorry this didn't work out as you'd hoped.

starting a new cycle, you feel a bit like this ....

is your fs going to consider 3-day embies this time? Our fs told us there's so many variables with the eggs, such as culture, handling etc that it can be difficult to tell how any one cycle will turn out.

anyway. good luck with your stim cycle.

oxox

Hi grub17, Thanks for the kind words...and

CONGRATULATIONS to you! Wish you the best on your pregnancy! Enjoy!!!

Kmond and Meo, good luck on your cycles this month!!!
    Last edited by esperan; April 12th, 2009 at 09:15 AM.

Hi LADIES
    Been having a bit of a read of this thread as looks like DH and I will be starting our first IVF/ICSI after 2 BFN after IUI. Our FS thinks we would have better chances with IVF because DH s/count is so varied all the time and its hard to pinpoint the right time.
    I am a bit nervouse myself - as I really am not knowing what to expect. I am also really worried about all the costs associated with it.
    I see the FS on Thursday to discuss where to next.

Esperence - sorry about your first go - hang in there though. I will be along with the ride soon too and perhaps we can help each other.

Same to you Cadence and others.
    I wish you all the very best.

Hi Candice
    I've just started my first IVF cycle too.
    If it helps I have been/am scared too. To begin with I was scared about the drugs then about doing the injections then my egg collection procedure (which I had yesterday) - what a woosie! But so far I've got through everything and ready for whatever comes next. Yep its all scary but I must be tougher than I think - bet you are too!

Hi K1,
    What a lovely post thank you!!
    I am doing okay, had my down reg scan today and am starting puregon tomorrow.
    Can I ask how many days of injections and what dose were you on before you were ready for egg pick up?
    How many eggs did you get? I have my fingers crossed for you that you get your BFP soon!
    To all the others that have replied to this thread thanks so much for your comments, reassurance and support, much appreciated!

Hey Cadence
    I did 10 days of injections with 200 units. We got 17 eggs and the clinic just rang to tell me 11 of them were mature and injected (ICSI) and of that 7 fertilised. Scheduled for transfer on Sunday if all continues to go well.

Good luck with the Puregon, it wasn't half as bad as I had imagined! Let hope these IVF cycles lead to BFP for us both.

Hi K1,
    Thanks for the reply!
    That's great 7 eggs fertilised, how exciting. I hope all goes well with your transfer on Sunday, I will be thinking of you.
    I will be on 200 units for 6 days and then will have my scan to see if I need to take further injections.
    Keep me updated as to how it is all going, take care.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast