Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scared- first IVF cycle

Hi everyone,

I had just been through my first IVF ICSI cycle and on Friday found out that I had a Bio-Chemical Pregnancy, very upsetting.
    I have never heard of this before and was wondering, does anyone know anything about it. Has anyone had a Bio-chemical pregnancy then later on done a Frozen Transfer with a happy ending.

Have now booked on for my Frozen Egg Transfer so fingers crossed for me.

IUI Dec 2003 1st Try - DD Born Sept 2004
    IUI May 2006 3rd Try - DS Born Feb 2007
    IVF March 2009 Fresh Cycle - No Good - Bio-Chemical Pregnancy
    FET May 2009 ?????
    Last edited by JustOneMore; April 28th, 2009 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Added my personal history

Hi Danyelle,

I'm sorry this has happened to you. I haven't had this myself but a close friend has. She is doing IVF with ICSI and this happened to her twice. my understanding (and this is secondhand) is that a biochem pregnancy is where the embryo implants but does not continue - the only pregnancy sign is a detection of hcg in the blood. There are so many reasons why this can happen - the lining not thick enough, hormones not ideal, the embryo cells dont continue to divide - so it's difficult to determine why but not impossible.
    Talk to your FS - there are many tests that can be done to determine why this may have happened - and many treatments for anything that might come up.

My friend discovered she has anitbodies - NK cells? (sorry I can't be more technical) - her next IVF round she will take asprin and steriods - and her FS is quite positive of their chances.

Hopefully someone else on here can give you a better answer - just wanted to share what I know and give you some support. hopefully this is a one off for you and you get your BFP with your upcoming FET.

Good luck

Hi Dannyelle,
    Just wanted to say that I am very sorry for what you are going through and I have my fingers crossed that it all works out well for you.

Hi all,
    Hope you are all going well with your sniffing, jabbing and whatever stage you are at!
    Just a quick update from me, had my scan this morning and have 20 follies (15 on the right and 5 on the left), largest is about 14mm so ll is on track and I will be continuing puregon for the next few days and am booked in to have epu on either Mon or Tues next week (will be confirmed on Fri). I am so happy to be given some positive news for once.
    Hope everyone else is doing well and am looking forward to updates from you all, thanks again for all your support!

Meo Guest

Hi Danyelle,

Just wanted to offer hugs as I am pretty sure that I had a chemical pregnancy way back when we began the whole TTC roller coaster. I got the faintest positive HPT one day late on a very regular 28 day cycle, then got a really heavy and painful period the next day, like nothing I've had before or since.

It's very disappointing. I don't want to diminish your grief in any way, but my personal opinion is that it's for the best. Obviously there were some issues with the embryo which meant it wasn't viable. Hopefully your next round will be the one you've been waiting for - a perfect BFP and completely uneventful pregnancy and healthy birth. Good luck.

Just a quick update on me - I'm not progressing with the Puregon as required so I'm no longer feeling left out dosage wise as my FS doubled my dose to 200 units from tonight, with another scan scheduled for Friday. There are about 12 follicles that are around 9-12mm, so hopefully this will ramp up their progress and EPU will be next week.

Cadence, just saw your post - we could be belly buddies! Here's hoping it goes well for you on Friday as well. Funny how you're seeing this as a good thing and I'm looking at it from a frustrating perspective though

ETA some personals!
    K1, how did you go on Sunday?
    Esperan, thanks for the luck - it's a good pick me up. I will be positive, at least it looks like I'm heading for EPU.
    Loops12 - how you doing?

Hi Meo,
    I hope you are doing okay! Don't worry I am sure that the increased dose will do the trick and you never know we could end up being belly buddies!
    I am seeing it as a positive because I am so used to going for scans and seeing nothing happening at all so it is quite unusual for me to have so many follicles after only a few short days and at least I know that I only have either 3 or 4 more doses of puregon before epu so the end is in sight so to speak, hang in there and keep us posted- believe me I know how frustrating it is to keep having to go back for scans when the puregon is not doing the trick!
    To everyone else take care and hang in there, looking forward to some positive news from everyone really soon.

Please tell me this means we are all getting good news on Friday as my first stim scan is then as well....

Meo - Bummer about the double up. Hope you are okay with the injections still, I am sure they will be fine though.

Cadence - sounds like you are tracking along nicely, with lots of potentials eggies on the go. Hopefully with all those follies you are still feeling great.

Danyelle - I too am pretty sure I've had a couple of CP's, but like Meo, its just sometimes not meant to be. I hope the next round will bring you the everlasting joy of a bub.

Loops, esperan, K1 hoping you are all feeling okay atm.

I'm fine, just waiting waiting waiting nervously until Friday. It can't get here fast enough for me this week

Hey all
    Cadence: Sounds like things are going well with you. All the best for the EPU next week - let us know how you go.

Meo: Wishing you all the best for Friday

Danyelle: Sorry to hear about your biochemical pregnancy. I had a biochemical pregnancy (non IVF) some years ago and it was very disappointing and painful. Thinking of you.

We discovered on Sunday that our most of our fertilised eggs were lagging in cell division, there was however one "shinning light" which was selected to be transfered and is now 'brewing naturally'! Over the next few days the lab watched the remaining eggs (or the lill'ens in the lab as I like to call them!) and all but one didn't progress. (They kinda of hinted at this on the transfer day so we half expected that news). But one litt'en did make it and its been put on ice - yay!

Now we are just siting and waiting and hoping. BT booked for 7 May.
    Last edited by K1; April 30th, 2009 at 12:45 AM.

Meo Guest

K1, that's awesome news! One in the oven and one on ice is a fantastic result. Sending you heaps of sticky vibes and got everything crossed for the 7th!

Good luck for your scan today, S'rose. Hope you get the results you're looking for.

Good luck to you as well Cadence, hope they set you a nice early egg pick up so that you can relax for the rest of the day when it happens!

Danyelle, hope you're taking it easy and being kind to yourself. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, it's gonna happen for all of us.

Possums and esperan, hope the synarel headaches aren't getting to you too badly! I had a doosy yesterday, but wore off by hometime (funny how that works, eh? )

AFM, had my scan this morning. Double dose is working, but SOOOOOO SLOOOOOOWLY! I have ANOTHER bloody scan on Monday. This is starting to get frustrating and I'm wondering if I'll ever get to EPU! But on the plus side, I knew things weren't ready to go yet as I've only today started to get the sore ovaries from the swelling. Had fluid retention for two weeks (since starting the injections) and not been able to fit in any pants except my jeans since (!), but today I feel like things will be ready. I suspect that EPU will be Wednesday next week and if it's not I think I'll scream!

Another plus is that I'm going away this weekend for my permaculture course, so get to hang out with Mum and learn lots, so will be well distracted! Wishing everyone all the best and I'll be back with more scintilating updates on Monday. Have a great weekend everyone.

Quick me update - will bbl for personals...

EPU scheduled for Thurs, trigger will be tues and estimated transfer Sat. Approx guess at 10 eggs so here's hoping.

Hi all,
    Sounds good S'Rose will be thinking of you as you get closer to your epu!
    Hi Meo, sorry that things are going so slowly for you, believe me I have been there and understand how annoying it is but I am sure you will get there soon
    Loops, Esperan and Possums, how are you all going? Hope things are well with you.
    K1, am hoping to hear some fantastic news from you soon.
    Danyelle, hope you are hanging in there and are feeling okay.
    AFM I am scheduled for my epu on Monday, will be having my trigger tomorrow night, am feeling excited to get to this part but am also nervous as it is unknown territory. It is great to have all your support though!

Hi everyone,

I'm still alive, I was a little depressed but hey life goes on.

I went to FS yesterday and picked up everything to start my FET cycle. Started injection last night of Puregon 50 units, which was a lot better than the IVF cycle which was 450 units per night.
    I had about 20 questions for them, we spoke about embryos and also about my age. Things seem a little clearer now for me : )

I was reading that a lot of you use Synarel spray. My sister has been doing IVF for four years now (with no success) and the Synarel gave her terrible headaches and sinus problems that her FS put her on Lucrin. Seeing that we both use the same FS - I actually requested the use of Lucrin for my IVF Cycle. (Once daily injection exact same time each day). I had no side effects at all.

I would also like to mention another thing that might help someone. After receiving the result for DH, Tunel Assay and Sperm Analysis:
    DNA fragmentation was just above 20%,
    Shape was 4% they prefer it above 15%,
    Motility 12% only half moving and they prefer it above 25%
    Please note that the above is common over a certain age group.

FS asked us to buy the following tablets and said they have to be taken daily by DH until I am pregnant. So here?s the list.
    Centrum A -Z, 1 Tablet Daily
    Co-enzyme Q10 - 100mg 1 tablet a day
    Vitamin E 1000 units 1 Tablet a day
    Vitamin C 1000 units 1 Tablet a day
    FS said that taking all of this has been tested to improve sperm quality.

Wow looks like everyone is doing the same thing at once.

Meo and K1 good luck with the blood test for the 7th May, sending you both lots of sticky vibes. The two weeks waiting is the longest. Thinking of you both.

Cadence, best of luck with your EPU on Monday.

S?Rose, wishing you the best of luck for your EPU on the 7th May.

Me 39 (Pcos) DH 40

IUI Dec 2003 1st Try - DD Born Sept 2004
    IUI May 2006 3rd Try - DS Born Feb 2007
    IVF March 2009 Fresh Cycle - No Good - Bio-Chemical Pregnancy
    FET May 2009 ?????
    Last edited by JustOneMore; May 1st, 2009 at 11:59 PM.

Hi Ladies
    Sorry I have been MIA for a little while - ive been moving into my new house.

Danyelle - sorry about your chemical pregnancy - ive got no idea what that is like but I feel for you. GL with your transfer

Meo - Your follies sound good. Good luck for your EPU - thanks for asking about me.

K1 - GL on the 7th

S'rose, Cadence and everyone - goodluck with the waiting, jabbing, EPU and ET's.

AFM - Just waiting to get on the IVF journey still - which will be happening June/July hopefully. Ive been reading some of the other threads and comments about IVF procedures and it all doesnt sound good so I really hope that we just have a miracle happen naturally.

Take care everyone x

Meo Guest

Morning ladies, just a quicky today.

Cadence, good luck for your EPU today, hope you get plenty of them and they're all mature.

S'Rose, you're triggering, picking up the day before me. I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere with this cycle. One follicle on my left ovary is disproportionately large to all the others (already 19mm, others are 15-16mm), but right ovary has 8 follicles all around 16mm, so my trigger is Wednesday night and EPU on Friday, transfer Monday. Kind of glad about the timing actually as I'm going away for the weekend and that means one less thing I have to pack! Although the pessaries will be starting on Thursday which will be interesting as I've not got to that stage before!

Loops, hope your move went well and you're settling in ok. Don't focus too much on the negative stories of IVF if you can help it, it starts to get a little freaky if you do! Try and stay positive and think of it as getting closer to the ultimate goal - your baby. Every IVF round that may not work is one step closer to getting the drug dosage right and the techniques down pat. We are on round 2 and see last round as a bit of a "practice run", as even though we only got one dodgy embryo, now we know that fertilisation naturally will be an issue, so we have decided to go with ICSI. Does that make sense? Good luck in your preparation for June/July.

K1, I too have for you. Hope it's the best possible result for your BT this week.

Danyelle, thanks for the pill info. My DH is a bit older than your's and was on Q10, zinc, Vit C etc that our naturopath prescribed and his results doubled in a month. We couldn't believe it! His morphology was ~15%, motility much the same (certainly below "normal" but can't remember exact numbers off the top of my head) and after one month was back to "normal" parameters for all categories, so the pills (while expensive!) are definitely worth it. Good luck planning/preparing for your next round.

Esperan and Possums, thinking of you both. Hope you are well.

Sorry for the essay! Summary for me is: Scan this morning shows one bigger follicle on right and 5-6 medium ones, left is showing 8-10 medium so I'm conituing the injections until Wed, trigger is Wed night and EPU scheduled for Friday at the Avenue hospital with transfer on Monday next week. I think I worked out that BT will then be 25th of May. WHOOT!

Meo - thanks for your advice and encouragement! I am trying to stay positive and think like that - it will be getting closer to our ultimate goal so I am happy to be getting on this journey. It may be painful but Im sure it will be worth it in the long run. I suppose a little but of pain wont kill me.
    Thanks for your support.
    All the best for your EPU on Friday!

Our house move whilst very tiring is finally over and now its just settling in and getting the place in order - very exciting.

Goodluck everyone

good luck everyone, just popped in and read all your updates...

I hope you get lots of good eggs, which become strong embryos...which can become a baby

as for me- i hope to start injecting on thurs...hopefully egg collection in a bit over 2 weeks...

Hi lovely ladies,
    I hope you are all well!
    An update from me, had my opu this morning and they collected 9 eggs (I don't know whether that is a good result or not?)
    Am a bit sore and tired but otherwise went well.
    Sorry no personals today as I am going to get some more rest but am thinking of you all.

Sounds good to me Cadence!! Goodluck with it all and have a nice rest.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast