Thread: CM Question for the older ladies

Default CM Question for the older ladies

Hi Girls,

I just have a little question and am not sure where to put this (if it needs to be moved - please move it)

I am 37 - and have been doing IVf for 12mths now. So far all have been chemical pregnancies but I noticed after my first last year that my CM has become signicantly less. I still get some EWCM before ovalution and after but CM in general just seems to be disappearing. Some months are OK others not.

My FS said not to worry too much as we are bypassing it anyway with the IVf but I am concerned - I know it happens as we get older but as I said before I noticed it last year after the first IVF loss???

Not on any meds - only for 1st stim cycle - all others have been FET so maybe the hormones changes are affecting something,or is it, dare I say it, just age?
    Last edited by Lucia; February 25th, 2008 at 12:00 PM.

Lucia I am 41 and still get plenty of EWCM. Probably more than I had when I was younger!

Could it be that the meds you take for your IVF treatment affect your CM production? I understand Clomid for example, can reduce CM.

Other factors are water consumption - the more you drink the more you have. There are other ways to increase your EWCM (such as taking evening primrose oil capsules in the first half of your cycle) but I gather you are concerned with the amount you are producing naturally?

It could be age. I know I used to get heaps of EWCM when I was younger and now I don't. I'm 41 and noticed when temping that I was hardly ever getting true EWCM. I hadn't realised this until after I had the miscarriage in March last year.

I tried using 3 times the dosage of evening primrose oil caps for a few days before expected O and I got EWCM & fell pregnant that cycle (m/c again).

A couple of months later without the use of EPO I saw just one little globule of EWCM, DTD right there and then and O'd the next day - hey presto I was pregnant again.

For me, the problem with falling pregnant in the last couple of years seems to have stemmed from lack of EWCM, prior to that I don't know what it was but I do have a different partner.

Hi, yes I think age is definately a factor, I used to have heaps but over the last few years less and less. To the point where I really felt that I would have trouble getting pregnant, so I went to a FS after 3 IUI attempts and a failed IVF we fell pregnant on our own while waiting for our next IVF cycle. So it is possible!!!! Perhaps more of a factor is the quality of the eggs, it is just a matter of getting a healthy egg. I think IVF is going to give you your best chance because of the amount of eggs and one is sure to be a good one, if you are worried about the hormones levels, request a fully medicated cycle. Good luck. don't worry too much about the CM as your FS says it is really a non event at this pioint, because they are bypassing the nesseciaty for it.

I try not to worry about it but I do - I suppose it is the whole getting older thing and knowing that I don't have as much time as I did. And it only started disappearing once I started IVF.
    You spend so many years with heaps of the stuff that when it starts to disappear - it is quite scary!

I think you will find that the meds do alter your cycle, I was on the same meds and had different reactions each cycle. One cycle, I had clag for CM, dry white thick (TMI)there was no way if the IUI did'nt work that it wa going to happen on our own. And the forget the try not tooooooo worrrryyyy, it does'nt work, but we all say it. Lots of older ladies get pregnant with little or no CM, it takes very little to get the little swimmers there, and as distressing as it is you have got those eggs fertilized, so it is a matter of time, just the right egg required. I have had 3 MC's before we got lucky with the little one that is growing in leaps and bounds inside me now. Thinking of you and will be keeping my eye out for you.

Thank You Blackduckies,
    It is hard to see an end sometimes.

As Bon Jovi said "Keep The Faith"