Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: IVF with PGD #4

Motherhood here I come - wishing you every success with your IVF cycle .

There are a few of us lurking on this thread, even though some of us may not be cycling at this time.

I found the IVF journey to be more stressful than anticipated - you have come to the right place for support Like you, I was very apprehensive at giving the needles to myself, but it does get easier. I used Lucrin on my first cycle (I did three all together before I had success, but I am now 39). I got headaches into the second week. I think this is to do with it supressing your hormones.

Take care
    WTH

Arrrugh my alleged birth father will not release his medical records so we can go start the genetic testing process!! Im feeling so angry and frustrated!!! I already have major issues with my mothers side of the family that don't ever seem like their going to be resolved and I don't need this as well

It may take a lot longer (ie a couple of years), but they can usually hunt for dodgy genes based on you alone. Hang in there - and talk to the very best genetic counsellor you can find (usually attached to a children's hospital).

Jo - this must be so disappointing for you Don't mean to rock the boat, but are you able to get some kind of legal point of view on this, as you have a special circumstance which may mean your situation might be reconsidered?

Jo, genetic testing may be able to be done on you alone but like Kmn said it will take longer. Was your Dad born here? Are you in the same State where his genetic testing may have been performed? Sometimes genetic information can be used by the lab, without it being given to you, that can help speed up testing. Alternatively, do you have any contact with other family members who may be carriers (his mother or sisters)? They may have had testing and be happy to share the results with you.

Even without this information, make an appointment with a genetic counsellor/geneticist and they may have more suggestions for you.

take care,

Kate

kmn: They need me to get permission to access his records in NZ. The information he supplied without giving full access isn't enough. Theres a big difference between 1 month of testing with his genetic information and 12+ months of testing without it..

Hi ladie's

Motherhood-welcome i am a newbie also we are ready to go just waiting on our probe which the scientist say about 8-10 week's i collected all my bit's and piece's today and it is a scarey process but i'm excited all the workup blood's ect are done so just waiting on green light i hope you get success on your first cycle.

Jo-i agree with kate is there any other of his family members that you could test.

AFM-had my 1st day of IVF appt came home exhausted with a bag full of goodie's heaps of ultrasound and pathology form's and prescription's for all my medication's they are going to start me on a short cycle (orgalutran) we go back tomorrow for another day of appointment's then we are all set to start as soon as the scientist's gives the thumb's up that our probe is ready we can start so it's all happening and going pretty quick now just this stupid probe we are waiting for and i also found out the government got there way the medicare rebate is being scraped so it looks like will just make it in time for one maybe two cycles if nothing goe's wrong.

Smile Good Luck

Hey there,

Thanks for all the well wishes.

Ferral4, I know what you mean about the meeting up and getting all your goodies and then waiting for the work up. But I tell you now, when we got the call on the Friday night, Monday I called the girls and let them know and they were like "you can start this Thursday". It can happen quite quickly after you get the all clear .

With the work up though, we did have to wait a full 12wks before we got the call. Although with many other things going on in life, I'm sure the time will fly for you guys.

Good luck again to everyone. FIngers, toes, arms, legs crossed that all of us on cycle get a PBT

Jo,
    I know all about the waiting (the first step in my PGD journey was to find my dodgy gene!). But if you have to it is do-able, and you are young enough that it shouldn't make a great deal of difference to your eventual chances of conceiving.
    It can also be very confronting for someone to face the fact that their child is trying to "exclude" part of them, even if that part is something as nasty as potential hemophilia.
    Best of luck
    Kate

Also - do you need to have your Dad's medical records and samples to be able to take the sex-selection route to avoiding hemophilia?? Is that something you would consider??
    Last edited by Kmn; August 23rd, 2009 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrals4 View Post
    Hi ladie's

Motherhood-welcome i am a newbie also we are ready to go just waiting on our probe which the scientist say about 8-10 week's i collected all my bit's and piece's today and it is a scarey process but i'm excited all the workup blood's ect are done so just waiting on green light i hope you get success on your first cycle.

Jo-i agree with kate is there any other of his family members that you could test.

AFM-had my 1st day of IVF appt came home exhausted with a bag full of goodie's heaps of ultrasound and pathology form's and prescription's for all my medication's they are going to start me on a short cycle (orgalutran) we go back tomorrow for another day of appointment's then we are all set to start as soon as the scientist's gives the thumb's up that our probe is ready we can start so it's all happening and going pretty quick now just this stupid probe we are waiting for and i also found out the government got there way the medicare rebate is being scraped so it looks like will just make it in time for one maybe two cycles if nothing goe's wrong.

I don't know any of them

Default Newbie to Threadie

Hello

we are beginning our IVF part of our PGD 'road trip' that started two years ago.

Found this thread and would be very glad to have the opportunity to share with some of you!.. really impressed by all your knowledge and insight!!

I have egg collection on Monday

Welcome Onja!
    I hope your time in this thread is short and sweet

If you also want to talk about general aspects of IVF, you can find a good thread HERE too. You are welcome to post about your PGD journey in the PGD thread. There are a few other members who are either going through PGD or have done in the past.

Wishing you all the best. Good luck on Monday.
    xx

Thanks Dusty

I will check it out

I have never met or spoken to anyone doing PGD.. so hi PGDeans

I guess you guys would be like me in finding myself a little 'out of water' as far as the norm IVF infomation, newsletters etc. Explaining it to people can be 'interesting' as although most people are aware of IVF - few have heard of doing it for PGD reasons.

Hi onja we are a bit quiet in here at the moment a lot of waiting if you don't mind me asking why did it take so long to develope your test what was the test for? good luck for your egg pick up monday.
    I have been told my test should not take to long as i sent off our DNA week's ago and they got our daughter's DNA sent from a lab in Adelaide so the probe is almost complete just waiting on a few test's from America hopefully the right one's then we will get the go ahead i look forward to hear how you go please keep us up to date.

Welcome onja,
    All the best with the next stages of your journey.
    Kate

Hi Onja,

Hope your EPU went well and wishing you all the best for the next few days.

Sara

Hello everyone and thank you so much for the welcomes

Ferrals - my PGD is for a disease called Neurofibromatosis (NF).

The test took much much much longer than originally anticipated. The first part - gaining DNA analysis from the United States didn't take that long (about 5 months) but then the trouble came when trying to gain the gene 'marker' part of the test. They couldn't get the information that they needed and we had to go through 11 family members before they could get it... (they needed a differential marker and ALL my family membvers had the same one) this was a nightmare to explain to family and friends who were feeling exasperated at what they were looking for and what was taking so long.

I guess this may be the one place where people would understand that

Off for my first egg collection tomorrow. I was overstimulating a bit so hopefully they get a few

I certainly understand your marker-hunting problem! We went through two clinics, 3 years (and Prof. Sheffield's remaining hair) before we had enough linked markers for a reliable test....

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast