Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Long Term Assisted Conception - June 2006 #2

Hi Jules, glad to see you made it!

Hope everyone is doing well. DH had a day off yesterday and we went out to the movies and lunch. it was so nice to do something together. It has been so long.... It really did me good I can tell you! I also am going on a holiday soon. DH has to go to Tassie for a work conference in October so I am going along too. I am so excited. It will be just good to get away. Then hopefully I will be all rested to start a cycle in November.

Hi Jules and in the nicest possible way I'd like to say I hope we all don't see much more of you in here!! Maybe you will be the lucky charm to start the ball rolling...

Someone has to get that ball rolling soon, Bee....

Hope everyone is ok...

Hi guys and welcome to Jules.. hope your stay is short and sweet.... Well big news here from us... DH and I are moving to the North Coast, Lismore to be exact... Ann, start house hunting for us love.....FINALLY after three years apart, we will be together.... and hopefully the baby making will come easy in a few months time.....

love and hugs to all

leis xx

ann Guest

AARRRRR, Leis that is fantastic news!!!!!!!

With any luck we can catch up some time. Congrats.

Now after the big move and the settling in period the baby dancing can really get started, not much luck doing the BD on your own !

Ann

Question

Hi everyone- I am not new to Belly Belly, but am New to IVF and have a few questions I was wondering if people could answer.

Brief background- TTC 2+ years. PCOS, been on 1500mg metformin since May 2005, 2 m/c Sept 2005 and Jan 2006. Tried two cylse of 100mg Clomid, unsucessfully, then DH diagnosed with translocation at his 18 and 21 chromosone 2 months ago. Saw Dr McBain at Freemasons last week, and probe satrting to be developed for us. Been told each cycle for us will cost out of pocket $6,000. We have private health insurance.

My questions are as follows:

1. Anyone else used Dr McBain, particularly for Pre Inplantation Diagnosis (PGD)? Any feedback would be appreciated. I have been told he actually developed the PGD testing.

2. I have been told by Dr McBain that he wants to get about 20 eggs my first stimulated cycle, whilst treading the fine line and not hyperstimulating. The thought of hyperstimulation really scares me, does anyone know the symptoms, and how dangerous hyperstimulation can be?

3. Dr McBain said that his policy is normally to only inplant one embryo, not two. I have heard confliciting stories about the benifits/pitfalls of two embryos being implated. I have heard that two gives you a better chance of at least one taking, or on the other hand that if two are implanted they compete to stick at the same time, and therefore neither may end up sticking. Anyone else heard anything about the pros/cond of one embryo versus two being implanted.

4. I have been told of the benefits of acupuncture/chinese herbs whilst on IVF. Anyone tried this? I have been told that this can help prepare the placenta, and increase your egg quality ( as the stimulation may produce lots of eggs, but there is not the quality, therfore not the success) Any reccomendations?

I think that is all my questions for now. Sure I will think of more as I move along the IVF path.

confusedegg Guest

EJE: Couldnt help but notice your post. To help with any of your questions.

#1 Sorry dont know Dr Bain and my program does not consist of doing PGD.
    #2 20 eggs - wow. I average 6 and lucky if 2-4 make it to blasts.
    #3 I can say both 1 or 2 embryos work, i am proof. I have had BFPs with twins and BFP with singleton. Not everyone has complications with twins, FS will be a better decider on that.
    #4 Not up on Chinese herbs.I believe that the better the quality, better the chance of BFP.

Fingers crossed for you that you get a BFP either way.
    Last edited by confusedegg; August 15th, 2006 at 08:25 AM.

Hello everyone I do hope you all are doing well.

Leis- great news on the move. I hope it all goes smoothly.

Hi EJE- I have not had PGD so I cant comment about that. I know it is expensive though. I also have not heard of your DR. 20 is alot of eggs to go for. My FS believes that 10 is the number to go for. and really it is not the quanity it is the quality that counts. My FS also doesnt believe in taking herbs while doing the IVF. But I have heard of some that do. I think it is totally up to you weather you want 1 or 2 emby's transfered. Personally I dont care if I have twins, so I went with the 2 each time. And have only fallen with 1 bub each time it worked. Best of luck with your IVF journey!

ann Guest

Hi eje,

The only thing that I personally can answer is the eggies. Last cycle they collected 28 eggs. The Dr in Sydney wanted to do a freeze all, because of the risk of hyperstimulating. I was having BT's every day, and even though my levels as the Dr says was "through the roof", I made the decision to go through with the transfer. I was swollwn and a little sore, but I was OK.

The Dr said the risk was so high of hyperstimulating that after the transfer I was given heaps of information for the hospital just incase I needed to go to hospital.

Every one is different though.

Ann

Hi to you all, I'm back after my holiday and it was great. Nice & rested now.
    Also, AF came back from hols with me (on the plane, can you imagine how lovely, & unlucky).

Anyway, hope you are all well and will catch up on posts (hopefully good news) and get back later.

take care

Hi Jules, So glad that everything is on track. Dont forget to keep up the water intake. Sending you much baby dust!

Tam good to see you back and that you had a godd holiday. Bugger on AF!

Speaking of AF, I have finally had some spotting. Which I am hoping to take as a sign that something in my body is finally working. At the least, it is the start of a new cycle. Amazing isnt it what makes us happy!!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Blue Sky Guest

Hi All -
    Sorry I have been AWOL for a while. I have been checking in every so often and keeping my fingers, toes and other crossable things crossed for you! Will catch up soon with personals, in the mean time what has dragged me out of slumber is EJE's post -

Hi EJE - I've been going through Dr McBain as well. I didnt have the PGD although I did ask for it - apparently it cant be done on frozen embies. I'm assuming that was your first visit to him and that you haven't been to the appointments at Melb IVF as yet? I dont want to sound as though I'm fobbing you off, but most of the answers to your questions will be in the information package that they give you at Melb IVF (which is also on their website). You should have been (or will be when you attend your appointments) given a book which explains about the cycles, the costs, hyperstimulation, the pros and cons of transferring 2 rather than 1 etc.

I found Dr McBain can rattle off a whole lot of information at once and expect you to take it all in - dont be afraid to stop him and ask him to explain something. He's a busy man but you're paying good money and have a right to understand what's going on.

As to the number of eggs he's aiming for & hyperstimulation - he will keep a close eye on you with ultrasounds to check on the number of eggs and their size. I was close to hyperstiming on my first cycle and after EPU I had to call the nurses each day to tell them about my pain levels and weight. Worst case scenario you could end up in hospital, but am sure John will do his best to make sure that doesnt happen.

With my DH & I he recommeded transferring 1 egg however entirely left the decision up to us. We went with 2 and he was happy to go along with our wishes.

I cant comment on the accupuncture/herbs - some girls on here have tried it though. I remember asking John about it and he said it wouldnt make a difference. But you go with what you think is right for you and your body.

I hope that has helped you. Feel free to PM me for more info. Good luck on your journey - hope you dont have to spend too much time on those horrible grey couches!

Take care girls,
    H

Hello gorgeous ladies,

Please excuse me for butting in here.

EJE - I can answer a bit about acupuncture. I've posted on this forum a few times about it in response to various people. I was a patient of Dr Hale (current chairman of MIVF). Unlike John McBain, he is in favour of acupuncture as I guess he has noticed some benefits to his patients. I used acupuncture during my cycle but I cannot tell you to what extent it impacted on the eventual result. I can say though that the relaxation factor was of great benefit during what was quite a difficult time for me (IVF cycle, very busy at work, illness and death of beloved pet). I think if you have the opportunity, take it. I went to an acupuncturist down the road from the clinic and am happy to recommend them. Please email me [email protected] if you would like info.

Bee, Keen, Leis, Ann, Tam B how are you all? I'm always thinking about you guys and the other good people I've known from these forums.

Wishing you all every success wherever you happen to be in your cycles.

Mel

Back again, so big hellos to everyone & welcomes to the new ones as well.

Not much to say really but glad to see that we are all still here to help each other. Yes, it is a hard 'place' to be but I know that I am always thankful & greatful that I know the people here. I'm not here often but know you are all in my heart.
    Mushy I know, but I'm on late at night with my bourbon keeping me company!
    I was thinking about the downness (?) of us & too did see the post regarding 'us' but I guess I've been around enough to know that we are in a down time, meaning that there is no cycling going on at the moment. But by golly I think there is some happenings on the horizon when there are cyclings happen. And the thing that makes us feel best is knowing that we have our 'mates' around us to help us through. And that is through the good & the bad.

Heather, it is nice to hear from you, hope you are well.

Vicki, good to hear something is happening, I have that same feeling myself as well. AF actually came early for me (or actually closer to a normal cycle length, lol)

Jules, sounds like you're close, hoping you're feeling ok. Bugger on the vampire.

Leis, yahoo on the move, and I'm sure the odds will increase being in the same place, lol.

And Hugh Jackman, I've got tickets for the WA show, can't wait.
    And hoping all else is going well for you lovely ladies
    Take care

Boy am I getting sick of this... .... AF isnt here yet, but she is certainly on her way... And the really fun part is having to go to my best friend's lingerie party tonight and being the only childess one there - wont that be fun!!

Keen

Kar

Apologies guys - am just having one of those "feel sorry for myself" type days. Please ignore it! Dont want to bring anyone else down... I'll be back up and about in no time - promise.

I do occassionally stay away from those things, but really is now impossible. I would never attend anything I was invited to... and for the most part its not that hard, really.... i guess.... its hard enough losing friends as they inevitably start hanging out with others who have kids and we sort of fall by the wayside - if I didnt attend these things, I would wonder how long it would take before they all went that way....

see, ho hum.... having a big woe is me!

like I say - ignore it!

Just ducking in to say hi. I know how you feel Keen I caught up with my cousin and her twin bubs last weekend and as wonderful as it was - it was also totally heartbreaking. Life and making babies isn't meant to be this difficult.

I'm not posting as much a the moment only because there is not much happening for me just yet. I still duck in to read how all you lovely ladies are going and hoping beyond hope to see some BFP announcements. It does seem a bit quiet now but here's to a flood of good news over the next few months. xoxo

A big hello and heaps of hugs
    Marg

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast