Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Term Assisted Conception - March 2008

BG - The cook up is inspriational I would like to say I will try it tomorrow most probably won't though lots of yummy food there.

Megan - Hope you are feeling a little better and work and MIl leave you alone this week

Chez - Enjoy your day with DP

PP BW Holly and anyone else I have missed I am sleepy today

Me: We start sniffing on the long cycle on Thursday and my office should be free of plasters painters and tradies and ready to open Thursday too. So big and exciting week ahead for me. And if I can escape DH's cold that would be great

BW - as much as i'm exhausted now, i will still kick on and finish what i started - and hopefully doing this NOW, i can do a bit of cooking each weekend to keep the freezer stocked so i don't have to do a massive cook up like this again. one or two dishes a week (in big quantities) should keep us ahead of the ball game. am about to go and divide the pasta sauce into two dishes and then add pasta - that's about the only thing that will be heavy on the carbs.... am looking forward to chowing down on so many of these things cos they're made from vegies from our garden! not sure where pumpkin rates on the GI tables - might have to look. i've supplemented lots of spud with sweet spud which is supposedly better - just not sure about pumpkin (but have to use it - have HEAPS!!). i think the rest would be pretty good for you with the "david diet"! lol

sorry to disappoint but i believe pumpkin and parsnip (both my fav) are high on the GI scale - but its the combination you eat it with that counts!

my problem with cooking is i don't use any pre made things all fresh ingredients - nothing processed!!no jars, sauces, no tinned food!!so it can make it a little hard when making quick meals!!

pp - when cooking primarily for me, i don't use prepackaged stuff - but to create variety for DH when he's away, we thought we'd try some prepackaged things - and if they worked, we'd locate a similar "from scratch" recipe later

the spag sauce is home made - from the mass of tomato's from our garden. the chow mein was made from scratch. soup ALL from scratch (including all the stock) - and the vegie bake i'll be making soon will be too...

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Hmm I'm firmly a pre-packaged sort of cook. I get home at 6.15pm so if I can't throw something together in 15-20 mins, it won't work for us. If I have a day off, I'm more leisurely about it and may make something from scratch, but I would die without ready-to-use pasta and simmer sauces and marinades. :P

Ouch! The GI of pumpkin comes in at 75. Scary. Pumpkin is now completely off the menu here! Sweet potato comes in at around 45. Pumpkin has a low glycemic load, however (4.3), which means that it doesn't have a lot of sugar in it to start with, but what is there will act quickly on blood sugars. It's a very similar case to watermelon, (GI of 72, GL of 4.3). For most people, it would be perfectly ok to eat pumpkin and watermelon and simlar foods. But I'm going with the instructions from my doctor who put me on the diet to start with. Watermelon is specifically banned, as are bananas, rockmelon (for other reasons, too!) and most tropical fruit. I'm guessing that the severity of my insulin resistance means that even a little bit of stuff with a rapid impact on my blood sugar levels is bad news. Sweet potato comes in with a GI of 44.

BW

ive not always been that way and TBH i miss the variety and convenience !!!

i still have the odd night when i eat what i like but sine doing this diet with the NP i have never felt better (ie: going to the toilet everyday)

we have very basic meals most nights

Roast veggies and meat

Fish and steamed veggies

veggies and meat soup (DH might add an oxo cube when im not looking)

Tonight
    Salmon, corn on cob, broccoli, cauli, sweet pot, pumpkin, brussle sprouts!

i cook rice and roast veg and eat for lunch most days

and im still trying to eat 8 eggs a week!

made a roast veg quiche the other night with feta and it was yum

sounds like we must see the same naturopath almost PP. Nothing processed at all end of story.

We have a couple of things out of a can like kidney beans etc but only the organic ones and we have tomato sauce but again only the organic variety. Pretty much everything else we do fresh....oh and I so hear you on the egg thing!! We do buy bread but from the baker not the supermarket, even our milk and cheese (white cheese only) is organic. I have to say my body feels heaps better without all the chemicals and carbs in it.

i guess i'm not THAT anal about my food. am working on improving it, but i look at that fact that, GI aside, home made soup with pumpkin, sweet potato, broccoli, cauli, turnip, swede, a little garlic, onion, potato, carrot - it has to be healthier than chips from KFC on the way home from work (which is so much easier!). a lot of prepackaged stuff plays havoc with my stomach, so this works a charm for me! microwave will be my new best friend!

sushee - if i don't do something like i've done this week, i WOULD be a convenience girl - i just can't cope with the IBS all the time, so am trying to find a way around it (that actually tastes better than cardboard!!). i don't think poor DH was expecting to have to work so hard on his days off, but too bad! it needed to be done - the freezer on our upside down friddge freezer thingy is now full of nothing but meals for DH to take to work with him! it's nice to HAVE to cook something that he can take away every time he's home - not a lot heats properly on the little gas cookers! now we can have roast or staek when he's home....

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I know I should get myself better organised and start cooking better, but tbh I'm always feeling like I'm chasing my own tail trying to keep up with myself. I shall watch this convo with interest and endeavour to be inspired by you lovely ladies, though!

i think you've done a wonderful job BG and i wish i could have the stammer to do the same, but i would get bored with all that cooking in one day, plus we don't have the room in the freezer as DH has his last uneventful fishing trip's bait in it!!!!(don't ask, lol)

And another thing would be that i have forgotten what i put in there and how long its been!!i do label things but that doesn't always seem to work for me.

Mel your np sounds very similar to mine! only white cheese and only sour dough bread, so no yeast!im switching to goats milk soon just to give it a try. oh and my np says i can only eat yanla yoghurt, which i don't mind and like

ahhhh - another cheat thing PP - i have made a little table to put on the fridge - has a list of what we've cooked, and when - and as it's taken out of the freezer, it gets crossed off (yes, i'm anal!) - that way i'll know what is left, when it was cooked - can make sure everything is eaten in order, and replace whatever has been eaten! have put a sticker on each container showing what's in it and what date it was cooked - so if there is something we've done two batches of (vegie soup for instance), we know to use the earlier date first...

sushee - i've found that forcing myself to do this today should keep me motivated! we cleaned out the freezer of all the older food that hadn't been labelled (the dogs have had warm soup for dinner!), and now everything is looking less daunting - i figure doing this once, i can now cook up a few meals a week for the freezer (even if it's on my days off when i cook for me - i can cook for DH too), and we theoretically won't run out... and if it's a habit, if i have to do another stim cycle and feel like crap, or when i'm pg and about to burst (i like this option better!!!), it won't seem like such a chore to cook and eat healthy...

oh yeah, i DO try to eat low GI as often as possible - and i think that's part of why i've done this - i don't eat meat at all if i have to cook it after work - too much effort - it's all veg. not really unhealthy, but not great from a GI perspective - this is both healthy, and atleast there is meat in most of the dishes, so it's an improvement!

Ok fellow bbers!!

Looks like we were a busy bunch yesterday (some more than others. hehe)

the cooler weather has taken its toll on me and i am so tired all the time!! I guess having to read so much for uni is not helping as im not a good 'reader' and find myself wither a)avoiding (like doing this) or b) falling asleep!

BW - i posted in your journal and hope that you are able to get some relief soon.

BG - what for tea tonight??After yesterdays cookathon your be able to put your feet up for the next two weeks. i couldn't be that organised if i tried!

Sushee - good to see you pop in- i know how busy to are at the moment, but its nice to see you

Mel - where is your np? i didn't make it to the market this month, although MIL asked me to go with her, and it would have been a good day to go with the clocks going back!! Instead DH and i went out for breakfast which we haven't doen in ages and we took the dog for a walk together which was nice.

TL - so glad to hear that work is going well - GL for Thursday sniffing - must say its something i don't miss. One of the many benefits with having a fet.

Smartie - haven't seen you on line for a while - how is the TWW going? not long now for your BT

Megan - i hope the weekend has calmed down a little for you and that your visitors have been and gone and the house is back to normal - with power still!! i couldn't bare to be without power - am scared of the dark!!!we will re arrange market visit soon.

Ellie - hows things with you?

Ann- you in thailand yet? always thing of you

belle - havent seen you either - hope everything is ok?

Shannon - once again congrats see you on the other side!!

Holly - GL with your upcoming bt and getting started with DR S

Chez - Thinking of you

im plodding along here waiting for af to start - or am i waiting for her to finish? still spotting since 10th march!! Ap has given me some herbs to help settle it all down. although i guess i need to take them for them to work!! problem is i have no energy to get up in the morning so then im late with taking them so just dont bother - its a vicious circle!!

hey holly what the name of that chocolate place we went o as im trying to get DH to go with me next week!! yum

PP - i had spag bol reheated for lunch - tonight - well, i have to go meet DH in town (the idiot forgot to repack his clean clothes AND to grab some food when he left this morning!) - so it could be almost anything... will probably depend on what he wants to be honest...

typical - we go to all this trouble and they just forget!!DH does it all the time!! at least you get to spend some time together tonight.

PP, I think I should really stop complaining - spotting since the 10th! That's way worse than what I've been through. Acupuncture does a lot for the headaches, but I'm not there again until Tuesday evening. I have a moxa stick and I know which points on my toes to heat to help stop uterine bleeding - I may just dig it out tonight!

I can sort of manage the headache if I sit quietly and still... but if I move I get very dizzy. I can see the bugger disappearing completely when I wake up on Monday morning - stay around long enough to mess up my weekend, stop me doing my marking and catching up with friends, and then disappear when work starts again so I can't even take another day off to catch up slowly!

Hope everyone has had a great weekend.

BW

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast