Thread: just found out I have blocked tubes

Default just found out I have blocked tubes

Hello

Thanks for this great site and the support this community offers. I have some questions about IVF in the North Coast area of NSW. (iIdid post this at the 'introduce yourself forum first because I was having trouble making my way around the various forums - I haven't posted before.)

A laparoscopy and hsyteroscopy/dye test last Tuesday revealed that both my tubes are blocked and I have endometriosis. I was one of those few women who don't suffer pain from endo - so it was a huge shock to find out I have it and that my tubes are obstructed. But also a relief to have an explanation for our failure to conceive over the last 12 months.

I meet with my gyn next week for a full report/test results from surgery - but I know that IVF will come up as an option. I am about to turn 40 - my partner's sperm tests are all excellent and I am ovulatory. So I'm doing my research - sitting up in bed with the laptop as I recover from the surgery (they took out the endometriosis while they were in there).

Does anyone have any experience with IVF in the Lismore/Ballina/Gold Coast area? If so, what did you think of the clinics? And which doctor did you have? Of course I want clinical expertise - but a good bedside manner and openness to alternative medicine is important too (and perhaps I am asking too much!) I've been using acupuncture and Chinese medicine herbs.

And has anyone had surgery for blocked tubes and did it work?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Sare

Welcome to BB!

It must have been a rude shock to realise that there was such a problem when you had no indication of it. I'm very glad to hear that your doc was able to clear out your endometriosis though.

I don't know of the clinics in the Northern NSW area, so I can't help you with your queries, but I just wanted to pop in and welcome you and wish you all the best with your TTC journey. There are so many lovely people here who can offer advice, support and just communication when you need it (and I'm sure an answer to your questions before long!)

Good Luck, and I hope you journey into Assisted Conception is a really short and very successful one!

Miss C

hi sare and welcome to belly belly!

i hope you are recovering well from your op. i bet it was a huge shock for you. i had a similar result, absolutely no pain, no problems, just infertility and was so surprised to find out i was riddled with endo and had damage to my reproductive organs because of it.

i am pretty sure Sydney IVF have a clinic in the Northern Rivers (Lismore?). They are pretty expensive but I found the SIVF clinic in Canberra was really good. There are some other options at the Gold Coast too that others may be able to tell you about. Also think about travel time as you need to have tests, ultra sounds etc during a cycle which can be time consuming.

i am not sure about surgery for blocked tubes. honestly i think your dr will probably recommend you go straight to IVF due to your tubes, endo and your age. if you want any advice or have any questions about IVF there are a heap of us on BB to help you out. honestly i baulked at the idea of IVF after I found i had endo (it was so much to take in at once) but 2 ops later and still no successful conception i decided to bite the bullet which i don't regret at all.

best of luck to you and hope we can help.

ETA: Sare I was having a look around some older threads and thought this thread on what IVF entails may be useful if you were interested. There is also an Segment Publishing : Design.Develop.Hostdiscussion area if you wanted to use it too.
    Last edited by dusty; March 8th, 2008 at 05:27 PM. Reason: ETA

Hey Sare

Just want to say good luck! Hope you recovery quickly and that things work out.
    Keep us posted.

Default Thanks

Thanks Miss C, Dusty and Belle for your welcome and support. It means alot to hear from others who have a sense of what I am feeling.

I have been doing lots of internet research and tomorrow will hit the phone to find out more about three clinics on the Gold Coast and Sydney IVF at Lismore.

I am feeling much more positive than I was - or perhaps it's just that I feel more accepting of the situation.

Good luck to each of you with your current cycles - may this be the one!

Sare http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/imag...lies/smile.gif

Hi Sare,

Just wanted to pop in and say hello.I was reading your post and felt like I was reading a part of my own history.

I , like yourself have blocked tubes, and am 39.

I can totally understand the shock you received hearing the news - it was like a huge right hook in the stomach for me.

Our FS didnt even bother with options to correct the blockages- just straight to IVF.This was purely due to the age factor and me just wanting to start as soon as we could.

As a result - 3 IVF cycles in 6 months and I am now 11 weeks pregnant with a beautiful little frostie. A fantastic outcome that I am sure you will achieve too.

Good luck in your serch for an IVF clinic, (although your FS should refer you to one), and my prayers are with you for a quick journey on the IVF rollercoaster.

Cheers.... Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Fiona_01 View Post

As a result - 3 IVF cycles in 6 months and I am now 11 weeks pregnant with a beautiful little frostie. A fantastic outcome that I am sure you will achieve too.

:
    Hi Fi

Thanks for your message. And congratulations on your pregnancy. How wonderful for you. It gives me hope too!

I spoke to a couple of clinics yesterday and have an appt for just after Easter - so the ball is rolling!

Sarah

Hi Sarah
    Good luck with it all. We are always around for any questions or just to listen if you need it

xx

Hi Sare
    Hope you are doing okay after your op and the research is coming along too.
    I too have had to try to deal with the news you have just heard and it is a big shock. I fell pg late last year and lost it and found out that app I had endo as well.
    I have also just recently been told also my tubes are blocked. I am finding it really hard to believe, so does my gyno, and are currenlty in the TWW period so will see what happens at the end of this month. Have taken clomid this month and have three eggs waitiing for mr right.
    If no luck, then we will also be considering the IVF road.
    Sorry, i can't help with any Dr advice as I am in Bris.
    Good luck with it all and keep us posted.
    We are always here for support.

Default Good luck

Hi Babyjo

Good luck with your TWW. May this be the one!

That seems strange you would get pregnant last year if both your tubes were blocked (I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to imagine how awful it must be.) I do hope you and your gyno are right.

I've got my appt booked to see FS at City Fertility Clinic Gold Coast on 25 March. Meanwhile my DH and I are enjoying the 'not trying' of the last month (because I had lap). I got my period this morning and for the first time in more than a year it wasn't a terrible let down.

Babydust to you.

Sarah