Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: TTC & Taking Clomid &/0r Metformin ~ April 2007

MUM2JADEN Guest

Talking

Hi Gals,

I'm officially embarking on my second round of clomid this month as my AF showed up today......remaining positive, nurses told me to stick to 50mg...thank god, I don't think I could have done a double dose....

mgm, where are you......???? What's happening

Kazz

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
    Last edited by MUM2JADEN; June 27th, 2007 at 10:25 AM.

Hi Kazz

I guess the clomid must really be working if it shortened your cycle! The great thing about shorter cycles is that even if you don't get a BFP, you can get on with the next round sooner.

My cycle seems to be going in the opposite direction - on day 33 today. Did an HPT Friday because I was seeing my FS that day: negative. If I go over 35 days (which it never did before my D&C) I have to go up to 50mg clomid. Either way I'll be having an ultrasound next cycle so I at least know what's going on. I'm pretty sure AF is about to arrive, though, as I've had lots of cramping.

What does your FS think about a 12 day luteal phase? Can clomid really shorten it? Weird!

Good luck with this cycle - hope it's the one.

britkane8 Guest

hi girls

i am new to bb and ttc have been for about 6 months now after getting off the pill. i have had lots of test done and recently found out i was not ovulating. so the dr has prescribed me clomid and this is my second month taking it.
    i would really like to get to know you all and chat as we all seem to be ttc

love ally

Unhappy

Hi ladies,

I wanted to say hi, im a newbie also like ally...I have been hovering in the wings listening to everyone and trying to get the hang of bb site and I must say you are all amazing and help to keep my dreams alive.

We have been ttc for nearly a year, af hasn't visited for at least 6 months, I have a slight variation of PCOS and I have just had the results for 1st clomid month cd 21test , which showed that I hadnt ovulated. Feeling a little deflated.....but must get ready to start again. sorry I realise failure after the first attempt seems a pathetic, but its taken me this long to convince the docs there is something wrong

But i have a few questions...can anyone tell me if clomid doesnt work the first time, will it work the second or am I just being pessimistic!!!!And this may sound stupid but can I do anything to help it along.

Lis xx

Welcome, ally & lis. I'm sorry for your TTC troubles, but it's nice to have some new people join us in this thread and I'm sure you'll find plenty of support here.

Lis, I've just finished my first clomid cycle and like you, i've had my pessimistic moments. But even under 'normal' circumstances, the chances of conceiving in one cycle aren't so great, so I figure I have to give clomid a decent run before I start despairing! If you don't get a BPF on whatever dose you're taking your FS will probably up it to the next dose in a few months' time.

Actually your situation sounds a bit like my sister's. She has PCOS, started off on 25mg clomid but it didn't regulate her cycles and was bumped up to 50mg - it was successful, and she's expecting her first child in a few months.

I really hope we can all have similar successes very, very soon!

Kazz - AF arrived yesterday, heavier than usual, after DAYS of excruciating cramps! Now for round 2... How are you doing?

Unhappy

Hi mgm, thanks for the support its nice to know I will have someone sharing the same journey at the same time....i hope the bfp finds its way quickly to you

Ladies Should I be concerned that my gyno told me that I didnt need af to start the next cycle, (given its been awol for 6 months and I havent o'd its doubtful it is gonna make an appearance) but he told me to just wait until my nominal day 5 again based on 28d cycle. I keep reading that a lot of you were given Provera!!!

Lis xx

MUM2JADEN Guest

Talking

Hi to all the new members in this thread, it's great to have support and links to people in similar situations, it gives us all the strength we need to keep aiming for our final goal

mgm, sorry to hear AF arrived.....My luteal phase ended up being 14 days in the end...
    So I guess the positive about this clomid is that it seems to have regulated my wayward cycle and hormones...I don't feel as strange this time round...but still get the light headed thing and what seems to feel like a flash of feeling a bit off every now and then. 3 more tabs to go and then its down to some serious business of making a baby.....

Kazz

Last edited by MUM2JADEN; July 3rd, 2007 at 04:13 PM.

Kazz - my cycle always got shorter when I was on clomid too.

Hi all,

Hello to everyone im new to this thread so i dont really know anyone yet... But I am very happy 2day because after 2 years of ttc and seeing many doctors. We finally have found one that truly wants to help and after being sent for all the tests she had prescribed me metformin which i start tomorrow. So i guess i was just wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect from it and does it really work.
    P.S i have pcos thats y the need for fertility treatment

Kristie, metformin does work, but it may take some time. I have one friend where metformin was all they needed to be able to conceive, another where it was metformin and clomid, and there's me who still needed IVF but had fantastic egg quality when I was badly hyperstimulated and egg quality would normally be very bad. It does work, but it may not always be in the way you first expect.

The only other thing I can suggest is that it is important that you start slowly. The side effects can be pretty horrid. Start with one tablet per day, and when your body can cope with that, increase it by another tablet, and so on until you have reached the dose your doctor has prescribed. You may also need to switch to slow release metformin if the side effects are really intolerable.

It's also important to remember that metformin isn't a magic bullet. It works best when combined with a low-carb, low-GI diet (this will also help with the side effects, from what I've found) and regular exercise. It's not just a matter of being able to sit back, take some pills, and have them fix everything without putting in a bit of effort yourself.

Good luck!

BW

Thanks bw its all a bit confusing at first when you are starting things like this but your helpfull information and tips were greatly appreciated. I've started this morning so hopefully i dont get any nasty side affects.

ally20 Guest

hi girls i hope you dont mind me popping in i have been ttc for about the last six months and have had lots of bt done and i havent been ovulating. my gyno has now put me on clomid one month on and one month off lets hope this help my tc.
    i was having a look in all your posts and it seems like luck is coming for some of you and others have had a bad time. i know its hard i get down every month when i get my period its so fustrating. but we are all going to get our little bubs one day soon.
    it would be nice to get to know you all and chat.

love ally

Hey all,
    Ally i hope ur not round here for to long (meaning i hope u get ur bfp soon)
    Just wondering i started metformin today and already am gettin side effects that arent very pleasent and i was just wondering if they will get worse us i up my dose and do they stay for the whole time im on metformin or will they calm down the more my body gets use to it?

kristie, they will get worse if you increase your dose before your body has adjusted to the current dose. Your doctor may have given you a schedule for increasing the dose, but if your body isn't ready for an increase, then there's no point going for one, take it slower if necessary and you'll have a much better go of it.

Other things you may find - certain foods often disagree with metformin, and that food can be different for different people. The one thing I did find, especially in the early days, is that it didn't mix well with a high-carb meal. If I was going to have pasta for dinner, I sure suffered for it later on!

hang in there!

BW

Hey everyone,
    I have just been reading some information on the net in regards to metformin as i have just started taking it and all i have read about is how it is used for diabetes 2. And i have just had a whole lot of bloods done and i do not have this at all all my glucose and insulin levels r normal. So what i am wondering is why am i on it when i am tryin to get pregnant???

kristie, metformin basically makes the body more sensitive to insulin. For people with type 2 diabetes, it allows them to more effectively use the insulin they produce.

In the case of PCOS, it is caused by insulin resistance. This means the body has to essentially flood your system with insulin in order to control blood sugar levels. By making the body more sensitive to insulin, less needs to be produced and hormone imbalance caused by having too much insulin can start to correct itself.

Did you have a glucose tolerance test? I believe that's the only way to diagnose insulin resistance. When fasting, my blood sugar levels and insulin levels are normal, however during my GTT it was found that my blood glucose remains normal, but after I had the sugar drink my insulin levels went sky high - what should never have got above 60 hit 273 - that was the indicator that I am severely insulin resistant.

Some further reassurance for you - I have a friend who looked up a lot of the recent studies on metformin and the treatment of PCOS. It was found to be beneficial even when insulin resistance was not present. Trust your doctor - it's a fairly new treatment for PCOS, but it is effective.

BW

blondie Guest

hi everyone...
    im new here looks like i found the right place to come!..
    i have been diagnosed with pcos for 6 years ( since i was 16) and have been struggling with the symptoms since.. (weight gain.. periods every 3-4 months etc) i was put on metformin back then but have been on and off it since.. ( partly due to being young and "invincible" now i say stupid.. and also due to the symptoms i was getting (dizziness, headaches and constant nausea)..

have been trying to concieve for nearly 1 year now and have had no luck.. i am totally frustrated and blame myself for being stupid and not taking metformin i was younger..which doesnt help now.. also having a sil due in 2 weeks doesnt help the frustration either..

i was wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar.. should i stick to just metformin or consider using clomid??
    any opinions would be greatly apreciated
    anyway enough of boring everone with my life story.. thanks for letting me vent a little
    Last edited by blondie; July 2nd, 2007 at 12:12 AM.

MUM2JADEN Guest

Talking

Hi Everyone,

Looks like there's lots of new people in here......let's hope there's lots of good news on it's way with positive BFP's.
    Ovulating this week, so let's hope we catch the eggie.....

Kazz

Last edited by MUM2JADEN; July 4th, 2007 at 09:55 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast