Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: TTC & Taking Clomid &/Or Metformin ~ Jan/Feb 2008

Hi all,
    As a seasoned clomid taker. This is what i've found out about how it works the side effects the reasons why etc.

So, as we all know clomid is there to help us O.
    O is caused by a progressive amount of different hormones peaking.. or in a way I understood it;
    O starts with a low level of estrogen in our bodies. this low level causes GnRH (gonadotropinreleasing hormone) to rise this triggers the follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) This causes the folical to grow. This growing causes a rise in estrogen. At its peak, estrogen activates the luteinizing hormone (LH) the LH is what causes the folical to release the egg. Once done this leaves behind corpus luteum (the empty follicle) the corpus luteum causes the body to produce estrogen and progesterone this is to prepare the uterus for baby carrying.

So Clomid. It kind of tricks the body into thinking that the estrogen level is really low, right at the beginning. (hense the reason we take it during AF) This really low level forces our bodies to start doing the right thing and it produces GnRH. (the first hormone) On the right level this is enough to kick everey thing into gear and presto our bodies start doing what they are meant to. It does effect each of the hormones needed for O but this is the general gist of how it works.

Clomid can cause side effects (and does) but a lot of what we are feeling is our bodies natural reaction to a new does of hormones. (Kind of like puberty is our bodies reacting the lots of new hormones. )

Must, must, got to work

Cheers Mel

Welcome Miss K - I'm in my first round of clomid too so unfortunately don't have any advice but just wanted to say welcome.

I ended up vomiting last night, was really hot all night. Feel ok this morning but hope these side effects don't last my whole cycle. Man - why do we have to go through this?!?!?! I sat in the bath telling myself that 'it will be worth it in the end'. Thinking positive.

Thanks for the description Mel A, hoping the side effects means it's working too.

Kim got her periods... 2 days early... Back to the drawing board... Kim started 100mg Clomid today... Not taking any notice of any sort of pregnancy symptoms next time... Must only pee on stick at 14 dpo and blood test when and only when the pee stick is positive... I've been sewing nappies like a mad woman... stupid, stupid, stupid...

Rang our doc and after this attempt, if it doesn't work, Kim is going to have a Lap and dye done in May... see if maybe she has some endo, perhaps, she has god awful period pains...

Anyhow, just thought i'd better update.

Welcome AJC and Miss K, Good Luck

TwoMums oh no, i am so sorry, if only it got easier but it only gets harder I had a lap and dye last july, i fell pg the first cycle after but unfortunately ended in m/c. You're not stupid for being hopeful and excited, just think of all the beautiful things you will have made for your baby when it does arrive. I wish i could make you guys feel better, but i do understand the dissappointment - we all do, take care.

Me on cd12 atm, not having monitored cycles anymore for a while because i know that i do O. Just going with the flow, not sure when o day will be, was usually cd15 when i was taking clomid later - now i'm taking it earlier i dont know what to expect. I got out the bbt thermomter and am using it for this cycle only but we have stated to dtd. That's the only thing I hate about ttc - dtd because you "have to" not because you want to - i mean want to but i dont like having to iykwim??
    Getting really bad hot flushes this cycle but no other symptoms which i am happy about, normally i am bloated like a week old dead cow by now but not this cycle - woohoo, can wear my skinny jeans lol!

to everyone

Twomums - sorry af arrived for Kim. It's so cruel when your body is telling you that you are pg when you're not. Good luck this cycle.

Mrs B26 - it is sooo hard to keep the romance alive isn't it. It's our wedding anniversary on the 9th so hopefully that will bring the romance back. If only we could go on our honeymoon again - wishful thinking. he he he, you made me lol with the 'week old dead cow' comment. Haven't heard that one before and it made me giggle.

No nausea today - hooray. I did get quite hot and flushed at my dance class tonight though which doesn't normally happen. I can handle the hot flushes but the nausea - ick, that's bad. Have no idea when to start bd this month, am thinking cd 12?!? We'll see.

AJC Oh yes, i agree, i can handle the hot flushes but the nausea and headaches are the worst. I am thankful to have skipped them this time around although probably knowing my luck i will get them 10 fold next cycle jus to make up for it. Glad i made you chuckle, i was going to say "a week old dead cow in the sun" but i thought that was too gross lol.

As for starting to dtd, i always think that cd10 is a good starting point as the sperm can supposedly live for up to 4 days and if you end up Oing early (which clomid can make you do) atleast you have hopefully a small army ready to attack the elusive egg. Otherwise go for it when your cm starts to go watery. Or jst when you feel like it lol.

Oh, can i ask what part of Newie are you from???? Who's your FS? I see Dr Woolcott

Mrs B26 - I'm actually a Maitland girl but no-one usually knows where it is so I just stick to Newcastle. I've been seeing Dr McGrath, he's great.

Hmmm - think cd10 might be a good idea. Told DH I wasn't going to tell him when O day is as I don't want him under too much pressure. As I said - determined to keep romance alive this month.

Twomums sorry that this one wasn't the month for you :hugs:

hi i posted this question elsewhere but thought i might try here too.
    metformin has been increased from two to three tablets a day (500mg each) and is starting me on tamoxifen - has anyone been on this and what side affects does it cause?
    have used clomid in the past with very few side affects (mainly headaches), conceived my second son on the third cycle, have tried other cycles since, ovulating with great levels, but no luck

ajc - i'm from maitland too, i also see dr mcgrath - just come from there this morning actually.

Hi Ladies,
    Sorry I haven't kept up to date with everyones progress. I've have time to read them all but not respond.
    Anyway I'm on my 4th and final round of clomid before a two month break and I was hoping and hoping this one would be it. I didn't end up O till day CD21(even though my clomid was increased from 50 to 100 for this last round) so I guess it made my cycle extra long this time. Getting to day cd31 today was exciting but when I took my temp this morning it had dropped. Still no sign of AF but I feel it coming on and mucus is becoming slightly pink in colour. Usually it takes me a day or two till it hits full on.
    I'm just hoping my body is playing a trick on me and that my temp will be back up tommorrow but I don't think that is going to happen. So dissapointment again and very sad about it.

Twomums - I feel for you but don't loose hope. I know its hard but we are all here to supportive eachother.

Hollye9188 - How are you going? and feeling?. You are hope for us all. So excited for you, you must be on top of the world.

Hi to everyone else, I will eventually get time to respond but just know I am thinking of you all.

Hi Ladies

It has been over 3 weeks since my last post, but have been reading all your posts and feel for everyone at the moment who have not had good news this cycle.

I was hoping to commence my 6th cycle of clomid after taking Provera for 14 days to stop some persistant spotting that started at CD23 of my last cycle. The spotting lasted for approx 2 1/2 weeks before I started taking the Provera to help get my hormones and cycle back on track. Unfortunately during the 14 days, it took 4 days for the spotting to stop and then after another 4 days the spotting started again for 3 days, then it stopped. Not even 24 hrs since ceasing the Provera the spotting started again (AF should have started 5 - 7 days after). Called my FS to find out what is happening as I don't have a cycle to start next round of Clomid..... Have an appt on Thursday to check things out as there may now be a problem with the lining.

I just think that all my hormones are stuffed and that they don't know what they are supposed to be doing. Hopefully I can get back on track again as I was only supposed to have 3 cycles of clomid before looking at other options, but since Nov last year have only acheived 1 cycle where there was a good follicle. So almost 7 mths down the track and am finding it hard to remain positive about things working.

Good luck everyone, hopefully some good news for you all in the near future.

Kelly - :hugs: Sorry to hear that your hormones aren't cooperating. Do you have a good fs? I hope they look after you and help get things back on track asap. It's a frustrating journey isn't it. Sending you lots of positive cybervibes.

Default CM Question ?

Has anyone noticed an increase in CM while taking clomid? I always thought CM was meant to decrease with clomid. It does say on the consumer leaflet that discharge is one of the side effects but this was lots of EWCM when I wiped so it's not really like a discharge. Sorry if that's TMI but I wasn't really expecting this to happen. People often say to check your CM by wiping with loo paper and I've never had enough CM to do that before. I have also noticed more of the thick and sticky CM leading up to today.

Just curious if anyone has found this also.

Hope you are all doing ok whether you are in tww or waiting to O. Good luck everyone.

AJC, well personally i havent been getting much cm since being on clomid - very annoying imo! I mean i get it but not as much as usual, esp around O time.

I thought i migt have gotten away with not bloating this cycle but it started today - also last night and all of today i've had this stich like pain on my LHS. It's around my waist - maybe higher. What's all that about i wonder??

Currently 5dpo and waiting, gee this tww seems to be going slow

I hope everyone is great xo

Mrs B26 - I get a feeling like that when I have wind. Gross I know.... I do hope however that it's a BFP implanting very firmly for a 8/9 month stay!!!! Good luck this cycle.

Thanks for your response too.

Thanks AJC but not windy over here lol!! I just posted a thread in the conception area to see if it is something baby related (hopefully). I feel a bit silly about it, i dont usually obsess over symptoms but this feels truely weird? Will probably turn out to be nothing but a girl can dream cant she? lol

hey girls, hope everyone is going ok...

Kim gets bad wind pains too, although she says she doesnt know if it is wind or from the clomid or what... but she also complains of very little CM as well...so i think its all pretty normal...

Tomorrow is CD11 so we go in the morning for bloods and an scan to see whats cooking after 100mg Clomid CD2-6... fingers crossed shes got a couple of eggies in there huh...

Will let you know tomorrow after work!

GL tomorrow twomums - hope there are some nice healthy eggs for you and that they result in a BFP!!!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast