Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The cost of going to work

When I was living with DH I was earning $15 per day after childcare and if I took away the FTB Part A that I was getting from the government. I had to supply all nappies food wipes etc as well.

It cost me $10 per day to get to work ($6 for train ticket and $4 for parking at the station).

So I made about $5 per day. Not cost effective at all. And I earned almost a six figure salary as a lawyer.

At this stage I am planning to go back to work PT awhile after this bubs arrives. My boss has made it clear that they are keen to have me back

But we're very lucky in that my mum is happy to do some minding for us. So I will likely go back one day a week to start with, with mum looking after the baby. Otherwise I wouldn't bother, I just don't earn enough to make it worthwhile financially if we have to pay childcare fees.

Hopefully we won't be in a situation where I NEED to go back to work, and I can just do it when I'm ready.

just a quick aside, yeah you change the amount of FTBA you get for your combined income, but FTBB doesn't cut out at $4000 - it is a sliding scale (like ftba) from $4000 to $20000 (or thereabouts)

i agree, it can be really difficult to still come out financially ahead if you go back to work and have to pay child care as well as all the normal expenses. it's something DH and ihave discussed in terms of starting the TTC journey. will be intersting to see what we decide on once we're actually PG!

good luck with making your decision Bathsheba - it's not an easy one!

Thanks BG, but I think we've decided that until both boys are at school it just wont be cost effective... and the emotional and practical cost will be too great too... it's mainly that I am feeling really lonely being a fulltime SAHM and I'm kinda musing whether returning to work for personal satisfaction reasons would be worth it... not fulltime... I'm musing that more mums return to work because of lonliness that will admit to it... *sigh* it is just so hard.... sometimes I wish that more mums would stay at home just so that there would be more opportunities to network and mix with other SAHMs... I go to 2 activites per week with my boys that give me that contact... but it's not really enough... anyhow life goes on... shouldn't wish away these precious years with my boys either!

A big part of the reason I went back to work was the social interaction. Another big part was keeping up with the changes in the legislation which is a big issue in my career.

So I totally understand where you're coming from, Bathsheba. Best wishes.

i think i'm going to be very much like divvy - there are not a lot of younger people living nearby - most of them already have kids in school and are at work themselves, so i think i'll go back to work for at least a couple of days per week - plus i work in a job that changes on a daily basis - staying out of work for toolong would be really difficult. thankfully i have a SIL who wants to have more children but can't for health reasons, so has offered to look after any children we have p/t while i work - it will cost a lot less than child care, and will give her a bit of an income - plus my work are super flexible with p/t contracts. financially it won't make a difference whether i'm a SAHM or back at work, but i think it will be what i need to do...

IKWYM Bathsheba. I have been a SAHM for a little over 3 years, after having a strong career focus. I am incredibly lucky to have a brilliant support network of other SAHM's who are very close friends, who we see 2 or three times a week. So socially I feel very integrated and supported, & I love the time I spend with them and their children.

However, for me, it is just not enough. I wish it was, I really do, but I need to regain the sense of self that I generate from working, and I need to build my self esteem again, and I simply need to be more than a Mummy & a wife. I guess I am the architypical type of "wants it all", LOL! I could, of course, feel guilty at feeling like this, but guilt like that, for me, is non-productive. Hence I have stuck my toe into the waters of the working world again.

Regardless if finances, it has simply made me feel more complete. So it is worth it for that alone, for me & the subsequent impact that that has on my relationships with the children and my DH.

I have enjoyed reading this thread with all of our different viewpoints........

I work fulltime & Indah spends 3 days in care as Mum has her the other 2, we get about $15 rebate a f/night & it's about $220+ a F/n out of our pockets...

* Childcare (factor in extra nappies/extra prepackaged snacks/transport to and from and late collection fees) I use cloth nappies & send these off with Indah to FDC, I bake meals appropriate for her on weekends etc & dont send her with prepackaged foods as they dont like it at Day care, all but a yoghurt.. Which she'd have at home anyways so it's not really an added expense.
    * Work appropriate clothing, shoes, accessories. I have been working F/T for 5-6 yrs & I might but a park of work pants & a top or 2 a year I wear a big lab coat over the top so unless I have an offsite business meeting I dont dress up much!
    * Work appropriate make up, hair products, other grooming costs. I wear a bit of makeup most days, so not an added expense really there either & I have only just recently had all my hair cut off but prior it was just a decent cut once a year (LOL)
    * Transport to and from work... petrol, tickets, wear and tear on the car, parking. I drive my own car & I live about 5 mins from work, parking is oin site & free
    * Meals at restuarants and/or take away/convenient food (because you will be too tired to cook from scratch every evening. Usually it goes on our Bosses P card & most social outings are paid for, but maybe 3-4 a years arent & really I enjoy going out with my work team & talking about other stuff that work, we see some of them socially in weekends etc anyways.. I always cook meals for the family on a Sunday & have meals in the freezer etc & my DH will come home from work & eat I think we have less take away that when we are on holidays & relaxing!!
    * Lunches and socializing (drinks and other expenses of attending work functions that you would rather not attend but have to) Again in business hours work pays, I take my own lunches (left overs or salads etc every day & DH takes rice meat & veggies everyday, other than that I dont go out after work & everyone knows it coz we have 2 kids at home...
    * Stationery (maintaining a filofax etc)Work supplies any stationery
    * Other miscellaneous expenses like drycleaning work suits etc. My Mum works at a Dry Cleaners but I have never used it, my work pants are $20 Target Specials!!!

FDC brought in a new rule that the 2 wks over Christmas you can opt to not use the Service & not pay & so as DH 's co closes for those 2 wks it is perfect for us, other than that there or not it's full... Thankfully it is in the next street from us so not far to travel there either!
    I earn ALOT more than DH but he says he would feel guilty at home everyday & I WANT to be at home everyday, so after Zyon is born & having to put 2 in Full Time care (mum cant look after both & Dad ina wheelchair) I am going to give up my professional role & work 8pm -midnight Mon-Fri in the factory where I work @ almost Dble the hourly rate now so my income will be similar than it is now & I will have no responsibility & my days with my kids! It will be tiring but I can never get back all I have missed of Indah's life & it is a regret... But without my decent income we'd be out on the streets! DH does any overtime he is offered & works 10hrs most days plus some Saturdays, but we cant always count on his money, so I b=need to work & for us after much consideration this will save us Childcare fee's, I can be home with the kids & earn a wage..

I am pretty sure I can make it work...

I freely admit that I am looking forward to returning to work for the mental stimulation and social interaction. I do have a mother's group (a nice one, luckily) but I just can't pretend to be interested in talking about kids all the time.

I don't think it is easy either for people who have been in the workforce most of their lives to suddenly revert to SAH status. It is a complete change of gear. This came as a shock to me, I have to say. I always thought I would just love being at home and would never want to go back to work but that hasn't been the case.

Like Divvy, I am also very motivated by the need to keep my skills and knowledge current. I've also spent years trying to get a position where I have the best of everything in terms of challenging work, supportive environment and family friendly policies so I don't want to let it slip away.

I know that if my job had not been so good, I would probably have opted to stay at home for a couple of years with William. There are so many factors to weigh up and I think the best you can do is make the right decision for you and your family at that time in your life.

I agree Melbo...
    I have had friends & family & work mates tell me I am mad for giving up my professional role & all it's perks etc, but I am staying within the Co. So my years of service will continue, I will now get time with my littlest kiddies which I have missed immensely sharing Indah's life.. I chose to do this coz it's the right thing for us, Dh & I discussed how $400 (almost a week for 2 kids in Childcare) is just truly ridiculous, it pretty much means he is working for about $20 per day, but now both of our incomes will count, we dont go out during the week on nights anyways & I will be home to cook dinner etyc we can enjoy a meal together, bath babies & get them off to bed, then I will leave for work & he will tidy kitchen etc & maybe just relax with maddy til she goes to bed, I will be home & in bed by 12:30 (we live VERY close to my work), I can sleep til 8am get Maddy ready for school & then she will go to Mum's (they live in a unit behind us & Mum will drive her to school as she leaves for work at that time anyways, so babies can stay in bed or Jammies or whatever...

For us we see it will work, I know & understand it wont for all the ppl bagging me for doing nights, but I still get a good few hours snuggl;ing in bed with my hubby, so we know it's right for us...
    I am really excited about it too... I see it as a new chapter, I have beenb told by the managing Director to let him know when I would like a career role back again, I said it may not be for about 4-5yres til Zyon is atleast in 4yr old kinder, he said thats' Ok, you just let me know & we will look after you!

Another thing is in the office your years of service are capped, but in factory (where I am going) they arent & therefore it could be worth my while staying in the factory as we know the site will likely shut in 8ish yrs????

Anyways Food for though...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12