Thread: Whats your corned beef recipe?

Default Whats your corned beef recipe?

OK, we have been talking about corned beef in our oct-dec chat, and I have decided that I am cooking it on Sunday night, and notn being a red meat eater, I want some inspiration...

Sooooo

What's your corned beef recipe?

Chuck it in the slow cooker with some stock, brown sugar and balsamic vinegar!

Or I put it in a pot of water on the stove with the lid on. Change the water after 90 mins and then cook for another 90

I'm the same as Danni, except I don't use stock but I put in 2 bay leaves and about 10 peppercorns in with it. I think in the slow cooker I use 1 cup of water.

Started a thread ages ago asking for white sauce recipes and a couple of people gave me fab ones. If you really want to go the whole hog, cook up a basic white sauce and add chopped onions, a tablespoon of seeded mustard and a small handful of cheese. Yummo!

how much corned beef though - to cook for 180min? is a certain amount of time per pound/kilo etc?

not really...I dont think you can over cook it as such, as its sumbmerged in water on the stove?

Girls, I cook it in water, white vinegar, honey, onion and at the end I put some cabbage in it... Tastes Yummy

Hi

I cook for about 3 hrs on low heat with balsamic vinegar, cloves, chopped up carrot and onion, bit of mustard(dijoin) dont know how to spell it....lol tsp brown sugar, then I have it with vegies, cabbage and white sauce!!!! soooo nice...Im having it monday night when Matt and Melissa come back.....Good luck with it all..

of cause in water that is...lol

Make sure you get the correct corned silverside, not simply silverside (as it's thenm a roast for in the oven (Many an elderly owman would come uin to my old work to show me their corned silverside was crap, beacuse they threw a roast into water!?)

So get the corned silverside in the crovac packet from supermarket (or ask your butcher) I submerge it fully in water, I simmer it for about 45mins, then I tip out that water as it's quite salty, then I resubmerge the meat again & bring wtaer to a simmer again but I add some (I never measure anything, maybe a soup spoon full?) of brown sugar, about 8-12 cloves, a cup of vinegar (I just use the old white skipping girl) & a brown onion or 2 chopped into chunks & just let it simmer with a lid par on for another 1.5-2.5 hours..

I then do mash & other vegies & let the meat sit before slicing thickly!!! MMMM with Mustard!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracey View Post
    Make sure you get the correct corned silverside, not simply silverside (as it's thenm a roast for in the oven (Many an elderly owman would come uin to my old work to show me their corned silverside was crap, beacuse they threw a roast into water!?)

So get the corned silverside in the crovac packet from supermarket (or ask your butcher) I submerge it fully in water, I simmer it for about 45mins, then I tip out that water as it's quite salty, then I resubmerge the meat again & bring wtaer to a simmer again but I add some (I never measure anything, maybe a soup spoon full?) of brown sugar, about 8-12 cloves, a cup of vinegar (I just use the old white skipping girl) & a brown onion or 2 chopped into chunks & just let it simmer with a lid par on for another 1.5-2.5 hours..

I then do mash & other vegies & let the meat sit before slicing thickly!!! MMMM with Mustard!
    Oh no I have one cooking now and the inlaws are coming over for dinner, what if it is the wrong one? how do I know?

The last one I got was from Coles and it was in a plastic thing in brine, this one was just on the trays at the butcher.

eeek I hope it turns out ok.

Oh YUM, now I want corned beef for tea! Love your idea of putting the cabbage in, Leemar!

I normally get the one wrapped in plastic in brine, don't know about the one from the butcher, sorry!! You normally cook corned beef for an hour per kilo. I add a couple of carrots cut in half, large onion cut in half, bay leaf, about six cloves, 6 peppercorns, powdered mustard, brown sugar, vinegar and nutmeg. Place meat in and cover with water. Bring to simmering point and when simmering cook as I said, 1 hour per kilo. YUMM!!

I make my own sauce with butter, flour and milk then add nutmet, seeded and hot english mustard and grated cheese. My DH LOVES it, (so do I as a matter of fact LOL!!)

I am sure your IL's will love it. ENJOY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Neatisme View Post
    Sounds to me like you have the correct one LOL! You normally cook corned beef for an hour per kilo. I add a couple of carrots cut in half, large onion cut in half, bay leaf, about six cloves, 6 peppercorns, powdered mustard, brown sugar, vinegar and nutmeg. Place meat in and cover with water. Bring to simmering point and when simmering cook as I said, 1 hour per kilo. YUMM!!

I make my own sauce with butter, flour and milk then add nutmet, seeded and hot english mustard and grated cheese. My DH LOVES it, (so do I as a matter of fact LOL!!)

I am sure your IL's will love it. ENJOY!!
    Ah thanks I hope it is the right one lol I have added brown sugar pepercorns a bay leaf and covered it with water that is what I did last time. It is nearly 2 kilos in size I put it on at 8.15 on low and I dont plan on taking it off until about 6.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Sorry HotMumma!!

Edited my post just after I added it!! I hope I didn't confuse you....I am sure that the one you have is just fine. I think the only difference is if you had the one in brine then you wouln't be able to roast it. Think I have heard that if you do that then it turns out like rubber LOL!! So the one from the butcher that you have is ok. Just don't ever bake the one from Coles.....hope that hadn't confused you even more. The longer you cook it the more tender it will be. Also the thinner you slice it the better it is. If you slice it too thick it can get a bit tough. Please let us know how it goes.

xxx

Youve got to put the carrots in too.. pop them in approx 15-20 mins before beef is cooked.. my gran taught me this as well as putting in some cloves, onian bay leaves and the brown sugar and vinegar... yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

leis x

Hot Mumma the one you bought from Butcher was in covered in a slimey brine? (Corned Syrup) If not then I'd say you have a ROAST for in the oven...
    I cant actually say how it will turn out, it may just break up??

Good Luck let us know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracey View Post
    Hot Mumma the one you bought from Butcher was in covered in a slimey brine? (Corned Syrup) If not then I'd say you have a ROAST for in the oven...
    I cant actually say how it will turn out, it may just break up??

Good Luck let us know!!!
    Hi Tracey,

No this one from the butcher was not covered in brine. So will it turn out? it looks ok at this stage, but I am getting a bit worried lol

Hmmm, I'm guessing it is an actual beef roast for the oven.... Let us know how it turned out, I am hoping it's not tough??

I hope your inlaws dont have false teeth... (LOL)

Let us know how it goes...? As it's not a pickled (corned) beef it would be like throwing a steak & other condiments into a pot of boiling water!???

I am hoping it turns out OK?? maybe do extra veggies!???