Thread: Amnio?

Default Amnio?

OK, well I am booked in for an amnio on the 30th of this month and I am just wondering if anyone who has had this procedure would mind sharing their experience, I am just not sure how much pain (if any) I am going to have and how long I am supposed to take things easy. I could wait and let the Ob tell me but I am impatient and want to know now

I had one last year. I was given a local before the needle was inserted, which they had to do several times. No real pain. Had to rest for a few days. It was worse waiting for the results....... Best of luck !

Hi i was the same i had mine 3 weeks ago and she puts in the local first which stings a little then i didnt feel the actual needle at all. Just a slight pressure but not really noticable lol.
    Then its over in about 10min all up. i had to stay there on the bed for 2hrs and then i could go home i had to rest for 24hrs. Its just to make sure the small hole seals up nice and it would do very quick as the needle is very thin.
    So i just layed on the couch for the day and i was fine to do normal things after 24 hrs. Within reason.
    Good luck and dont stress the procedure is no where near as bad as people think i was pleasantly surprised.
    Oh its just the waiting for results that is the worst.

Thanks saschasmum and sallymarie, wow, so you had to stay on the bed for 2 hours before you where allowed to leave. We are actually going to pay the extra and get the FastDNA so we should have the results for the more common things they test for in 48 hours.

Yeah the nurse said it was just to make sure i didnt start having contractions.... but it was all ok i had no troubles. The 2hrs flew by i just had a little snooze But yours may be slightly different.
    Good luck hun
    I never heard of the fastdna.... wish i had of know about that. Oh well.

I had an amnio two days ago. The procedure itself wasn't too bad. The decision to have it on the other hand, was the hard part. The worst part was the local, which they warned me would sting like a bull ant bite, but I don't think it was as bad as that. then a little pressure as the needle was going through the uterus. It took about two minutes for the OB to draw the fluid, which during that time I just shut my eyes and relaxed. DH was there to support me and was terribly fascinated so it mustn't be too gory.

Do your research. You are obviously aware that an amnio carries a risk of miscarriage. After talking with the OB that performed mine, there are factors that reduce that risk. One is the experience of the person performing the procedure, another is how many times they insert the needle (and is also probably related to experience of the clinician) and size of the needle. I had a very experience OB do the procedure, with the thinnest gauge needle and only one insertion.

We had the FISH testing done, and got results for chromosomes 13, 18, 21 and the sex chromosome 24 hours after the procedure. The full results will be avail for us in 7-10 days. But with the FISH test, most disorders are ruled out.

Hope your questions have been answered. All the best.

~kaos~ thanks for that info, I have read up about the risks involved in having the amnio, and have been informed that the Ob that is performing mine is very experienced in this type of procedure so all I have to do now is count down the days.

I had a cvs which is similar just done earlier on and definately waiting for the results is the worst part. The procedure is just uncomfortable. I had a little cramping for 24 hours or so and just used that as an excuse to be lazy for a couple of days.

Good luck, but try not to think about it too much and before you know it it'll be over. I got the quick results too so that made it easier.

well, amnio was done today, went with a full bladder as requested, had to release some before I went in as I was in extreme pain, Ob then asked me 3 times to release more (each time had to count to 20) and on the 4th time he just told me to empty it completely. I wasn't the worse thing I have had done, but wasn't the best experience either, but I would do it again if I had to (even though this is the last baby for me). Now we just play the waiting game...

Hope the waiting for your results go quickly for you.

All the best. Try and rest as much as you can. I spent two days in bed after mine last year.

I had one last year. No pain. Can I ask why your having one.