Thread: Back Pain!

Default Back Pain!

Hi All,

I have heard that back pain in pregnancy is very common, but does anyone have any good tips for coping with it? I am 22 weeks pregnant and have had it off and on for the last two months. Unfortunately this week it started on Monday and has been constant up until today. My lower back is so painful and it wakes me up at all hours of the night. I've tried heatpacks all day long, but the relief tends to wear off towards the end of the day and at night I'm in tears due to the pain. I even bought one of those body pillows to sleep with! I don't want to take panadol or anything but I am starting to get really upset by it and don't want to suffer for the rest of the pregnancy. Anyone suffered similar pain or have any tips?

Thanks all!
    Powelly :-)

With my 2nd DD my back was horrid. I'd have to crawl to the toilet in the middle of the night as i could not even walk sometimes. I found what i did in the day really affected my evenings. If i vacuumed or mopped i'd be in excruciating pain for days. I tried heat packs etc and had very little relief. My gp said it was my sacral-iliac joint (sp?) that was playing up but i also had lots of sciatica. I took panadol when it was really bad but didnt get relief until she was born. One of the 1st things i said to dh when i was up and about as i'd had a cs was omg my back is fixed it's so hard when you hurt so much and can do so little. Maybe your GP can refer you to a chiro, physio or even a masseuse (i'm not sure what you can try so check with GP 1st) It's easy for me to say i know but their will be a light at the end of a tunnel.

Hi Hoody,

Thank you so much for your reply. I keep reminding myself to look at the bigger picture but it does get hard, especially when you haven't slept all week due to it. Thanks for your advice. I think a visit to the GP is on the cards for tomorrow if it doesn't ease up. Congrats on your gorgeous baby girl. It's nice to know that our bodies do recover!

:-)

Mumof2Girls Guest

Hi,

I've started getting some bad sharp pains in the back of my pelvis/buttocks area, is this the same as yours? I had SPD in my last pregnancy, but that was more the pubic bone, rather than the back. My back pain wakes me up during the night and getting up off chairs can be really painful!

What advice did your Dr end up giving you? When I saw the OB a couple of weeks ago she said to wear a support belt, but I've found that does nothing.

Default Back Pain

Hi Mum of 2 Girls,

Unfortunately I am still suffering from it but I have finally started seeing a physio and even after the first session on Tuesday, it is starting to help. I have to go three times a week, not sit for longer than 20 minutes (unless sleeping), and do simple stretches 4 times a day. My pain was made worse as my hubby and I had to move house so the last two weeks really didn't help my situation. I'd check with your caregiver as to what they suggest. My pain is lower back, right of the spine. People swear by yoga and swimming! Hope you find some relief soon as I understand all too well how debilitating it is.

Hugs and best of luck with the remainder of your pregnancy.
    Powelly

I've just started to get lower back pain as well. Sometimes it just feels like bubs is kicking me in the back and sometimes it lasts a little longer. I really look forward to Tuesdays and Saturdays when I do antenatal aquaerobics and Pilates because it provides so much relief for me.