Thread: Panic disorder

diddles Guest

Unhappy Panic disorder

Does or has anyone here suffered with anxiety disorder during pregnancy? I am only approx 6weeks and found myself tossing & turning all night with a panic attack; worrying about childbirth; the pain , etc and; if i will cope at my age. my only daughter is 19 today. My partner is 8 yrs my junior and childless so i am obliged to continue the pregnancy. I am so confused but above all i am teriffied that i just won't cope during pregnancy, birth, and the continued commitment and stress of motherhood at such a late stage in life. I am a young 40 but i am so confused, scared and depressed. I am constantly suffering anxiety and panic 24/7. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated...

diddles - sorry you are feeling anxious and panicky. That's not fun. I thought I'd reply because I am pregnant with my first and will be 40 in October. I wake during the night and have a worry about something - but that sounds a bit less than anxiety and panic. I think it is something that can happen and it is something to do with all the hormones.

I was also worried that I'm too old for this but I didn't get the chance to have kids younger and am also probably pleasantly in the dark about the stress and commitment of motherhood. 40 is still young. My grandmother's mother was 44 when she had my gran and that was in 1917. She had another child when she was 46. She was an "old" woman whereas today we are so much younger in heart and in body.

You have done this before and that experience is going to make things so much easier for you both mentally and physically. Physically, my obstetrician says things might be a bit slower in the birth but not that different to if I was 25. Mentally, everyone says that being older helps heaps. You have more life experience to fall back on.

Perhaps you should talk to your health professional about how you are feeling. They might be able to reassure you.

Hi Diddles, My SIL just had her 7th baby at 42 years old.

You will cope fine. Have you considered trying some relaxation techniques like yoga or some breathing excercises? More than half the battle of coping with anything is believing that you can.

Hi,

As someone who suffers from anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder i urge you to talk to a proffessional about all of this and your worries and concerns. If you dont you will literally drive yourself up the wall. I have been there and its not pleasant.

They say it is not good for the baby when the mother is so anxious. A relaxed and happy mother is what is needed.

Talk to your GP about what is going on with you and tell them everything, dont leave anything out.

I am closely monitored by the phsychology dept at the hospital i am booked into. I am not on medication at the moment but i have been in previous pregnancies. I was extremely highly strung, couldnt sleep proparly, kept checking things, felt nervous all the time, was irritable. It doesnt feel nice i know that so please seek help, dont try to battle it alone. You wont nesessarily have to take medication and they certainly cant force you to take it but they should be able to help you with strategies on how to best deal with the way you are feeling or put you in touch with the people that can help you the most.

Good luck.

diddles Guest

Hi Kristi, Kayla & KAr
    Thank you so much for your time in responding- you make it sound so easy and; if only i could be as strong and brave as you. I will seek advice from a GP (don't really have a reg gP-hard to find here on the coast). The problem is that I don't even want to admit to anyone that im pg and i certainly dont want anyone knowing except for the Gp...only to find out yesterday that my partner told one of our clients- he is ecstatic and im totally miserable. and i panic that my negativity will cause him to become violent to himself...i feel trapped and ashamed of my predicament and the emotions and attitudes i am feeling toward the whole thing. Thank you again and good luck to each of you- you sound like amazing women!

Kind regards
    D

diddles please check out our depression & anxiety forum, you will see that there are heaps of us out there that feel anxious and/or depressed at the overwhelming thoughts of having children. Its hard not to be anxious and scared when your entire life as you know it will change and you are the one who has to deal with it.

I have suffered with ante-natal depression & PND and its frustrating because more than anything you want to enjoy the experience of a child & you want the best for this child, but you can't control your feelings either or ignore them. I think the best thing you could do for your first step is find someone to help. You can get help through your hospital if you are booked in anywhere. QLD health has excellent resources for pregnant women with anxiety or depression. I have just started some appointments that are after my hospital appointments and its all part of the ante natal process. If you are going to a public hospital they have resources through them that are great, otherwise contact your MCHN's or early childhood clinics in your area & they can set you up with someone through QLD health. Good luck!! & come & join us in the depression & anxiety forum, we can help too

diddles Guest

christy
    thank you...i just feel so bad and ashamed complaining about everything and i cant speak to anyone in the 'real' world. i have to suffer in silence & pretend nothing is happening when my daughter is home. It was her 19th birthday yesterday & i managed to 'fool' her to ensure she had a fantastic day; but im beginning to worry that i wont be able to hold-up in order to prepare & enjoy her party this friday night. I feel like my life is ruined...

Regards
    D

Hi,

Oh Diddles, you sound so miserable i just want to reach out and give you the biggest hug.

Please get proper help hun you really sound like you need it. Dont suffer with this when you dont have to, there are people that can help you to feel a bit better.

diddles Guest

Kristi

I am so angry at my partner- i cant even stand him at the moment and i cant find the depression & anxiety forum...
    thanks so much for ur understanding

D

Diddles,
    It's not uncommon to feel like a pregnancy has ruined or will ruin your life, but it is a very good sign you need to talk to someone. It's also a bit of a worry that you are worried your partner may selfharm. Definitely don't bottle this up. It's time to reach out somewhere where you can feel safe and secure and listened to.

The depression and anxiety forum is here http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38

wishing&hoping Guest

Quote Originally Posted by diddles
    Hi Kristi, Kayla & KAr
    Thank you so much for your time in responding- you make it sound so easy and; if only i could be as strong and brave as you. I will seek advice from a GP (don't really have a reg gP-hard to find here on the coast). The problem is that I don't even want to admit to anyone that im pg and i certainly dont want anyone knowing except for the Gp...only to find out yesterday that my partner told one of our clients- he is ecstatic and im totally miserable. and i panic that my negativity will cause him to become violent to himself...i feel trapped and ashamed of my predicament and the emotions and attitudes i am feeling toward the whole thing. Thank you again and good luck to each of you- you sound like amazing women!

Kind regards
    D

Hi diddles, sending to you!! Maybe once people know you will feel better, alot of the anxiety could be because you are worried what everyone is going to think, there are MANY women your age having children! In this day and age the majority of the mothers (from what I have noted) are either early 20's or late 30's/early 40's, due to careers in between these ages. If you talk to a GP they may know of some support groups in your area of women going through similar things...

Good luck!!!!!!!!! sending my to you and family