Thread: PUPPPS & Obstetric Cholestasis

Question PUPPPS & Obstetric Cholestasis

Oh my goodness I have never been so itchy in all my life!

I have finally officially been diagnosed with PUPPPS after 4 weeks of insane itching & a horrid rash all over my belly bump & legs. Then now there is reason to believe I have Obstetric Cholestasis as well which is causing itching on my wrists, hands, ankles and feet but without the PUPPPS rash. I have another BT on Tuesday to confirm & then an appointment on Wednesday to discuss the results.

My question is though, what did you use for relief???

So far I've tried:
    * Sorbolene Cream - didn't do much
    * Aloe Vera Gel - which has worked the best so far
    * Aristocort Cream - did nothing
    * Calamine Lotion - did nothing
    * Menthol in Aqueas - started yesterday, cools the itch but doesn't stop it
    * Pinetarsal Baths - pretty good as long as the water is cool (not good in winter!)
    * Dandelion Root Capsules - made the rash on my belly fade heaps & has really helped but only my belly
    * Polaramine - helps for about an hour or so

I think that's it LOL!! So did anyone have a miracle cure that helped? I'm not sure how long before bub will be here & the itching is sending me round the twist.

Oh Sarah, how irritating that must be! I wonder if Tea Tree lotion would give you any relief? I'm sorry I cannot be of much help but I hope someone here can come to your rescue with a great remedy.

Worst case scenario, it'll go away once bub is born right?
    I hope it's not OC. But at least once you've got a diagnosis your Dr will be able to put you on meds that might help.

Oh, here is a website I found on PUPPPS( I decided to google it as I didn't know what it was) HTH PUPPP - Pruritic Urticarial Papules and Plaques of Pregnancy (itchy skin during pregnancy)
    Last edited by ~mamaspice~; May 10th, 2008 at 07:21 PM.

Hi there

I had OC with my DS two years ago. When I had it there was no medication for the itch although they did give me antihistamines which worked for about an hour then it would come back. I had the itch all over my body and was covered in scabs by the end of it all. Try keeping your body temperature low. Cool baths/Showers (in winter not much fun) I had it in Jan Feb so cool baths were great for me and I found that they were the only thing that would really help.

Some country?s treat it with Ursodeoxycholic Acid - UDCA (Actigall, Urso) but I was not offered this so not sure if it is approved for use in Australia or not. You should also find out about taking Vitamin K. You will need to take this as OC prevents your body from absorbing it. So there is a greater risk of internal bleeding for you and your bub.

How far along are you in your pregnancy? If it is OC then your baby will need to be born at 36 week due to risk to the baby that occurs if you continue with the pregnancy after this time. Go to google and type in Itchy Mom?s and it should bring up a really good support website for women who have this condition.

I notice on your signature that you are going to attempt a VBAC. Don?t mean to put a dampener on things but if you have OC this will not be an option unless you go into labour at the 36 week mark on your own. Otherwise your baby will have to be delivered by CS. They will not risk induction after you have had a CS because of the risk of your uterus rupturing.

I hope you don?t have OC and that you will be able to have a great VBAC but just thought you should be aware.

Good Luck

Lolly

Hi Lolly, I'm already due so well past the 36 weeks mark. I get my results back later this afternoon from all the BTs and will find out for certain what we're dealing with. I did actually stumble across Itchy Moms the other day & found some great info on there

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Try putting plain oats in a stocking and wetting it often that helps with itchiness.

Good luck with blood tests.

Liver function has come back as perfect & the bile salts hasn't been done yet due to an issue with the machine testing it. So I have to wait until my next appointment on Friday to get those ones.

I don't really know what that means but yay for perfect liver function!

Good liver function . . .thats great So probably no OC then! Yay!!!

Good Luck with the test your getting done on Friday. I hope that everything turns out OK for you. The bile salt test will be the give away. A lot of women have totally normal LFT when they have OC. At least you are already at term so there is still a chance even if you have OC that bub may decide to arrive of her own accord.

Best of luck once again.