Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cancer survivers

Default Cancer survivers

I wanted to know how many people on here have been survivers of cancer?

How many of you have had a scare with cancer and it's turned out to be ok?

How did you stop thinking about it 24/7?

Most of you know "and care" where I am at with this and I am looking for other life stories!

Good and the bad are fine, I just want to know how you coped with it!!!!

Soul - my godfather had lymph cancer - he so bad he was told he would have about 6 months. He got soooo sick, he lost so much weight he was like a skeleton.

Well, its about 15 years later and he is stronger than ever, with 2 beautiful kids!!!!

My half brothers step mum had breast cancer - and lived for another 20 years.

My best friends dad had bowel cancer - and got over that.

Sending you lots of strength, and big hugs

Soul, I can't offer you much advice other than a huge hug for you and to know you are in my thoughts and prayers but also to let you know that my mother had skin cancer and breast cancer (both of which were caught early before spreading) and is fine and my dad had aggressive prostate cancer and is now as healthy as can be (cancer wise that is) - so yes they have both beaten cancer. I also have a friend who had ovarian cancer who is also now fighting fit. Again huge hugs for you but just wanted to let you know there are people who have received appropriate treatments and are now fighting fit.

catrion wow they are amazing people! It surely wasn't their time hey!

jaspen, more great heart warming stories!

Sadly my loved ones being my nan and pop both died from cancer so i haven't any good experiences of the disease yet.

Sometimes I am glad cancer has not got a tongue, although there are tongues that are just as diseased as the disease itself!

I am more scared of what they are going to have to cut away in my mouth!

Hi Soul
    I would be happy to talk with you at any time, however I am not sure if I have beaten cancer yet but my last scan was looking good. I will have a better idea after the 24th when I have another appointment with my oncologist. I have put on 20kg in 4 months so not everyone looses weight.

Soul - its def not your time baby, you seem way too full of life!

my nanna had bowel cancer.. she had part of it removed now 8 years later she is great!! she is 83 and still works at her local vinnys!!

my aunty had melonomas and had them removed but sadly she has been told she may have bone cancer!! going thru all the tests now and i hope she dosent!!

big hugs soul!!

Oh Alan I get tears just thinking about what you have been through, your definately a inspiration to many if not all of us!

I get the feeling I won't be around here much longer, the forum I mean , so will pm you my addy and would like to hear your journey.

catrion, I hope so, I really do?

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

soul,

my MIL was diagnosed with breast cancer and the dignity with which she conducted herself was an amazing thing to watch. Everytime I saw how brave and strong she was, I was moved more than I can describe. She does not have a husband or partner, just my DH as far as family goes, yet never once complained, never once seemed to feel sorry for herself, and never once made any of us feel like she was a burden.

And guess what? She had an op which removed the lump, and she had radiation therapy. It's been a few years now and she is feeling great. So there is hope, despite the fear of the unknown. Look after yourself.
    Last edited by sushee; January 11th, 2008 at 04:27 PM.

My FIL had a 20 year battle with cancer.

It begun in his kidney, then he had 2 brain tumours.

He was a fighter that's for sure.

soul, my aunty discovered she had cancer in her nasal passage about 7 years ago, she went through alot of chemo and radiation and a bit of surgery, (none of the surgery effected the way she looked physically)She did spend a bit of time in hospital and she now has to have constant checks as they had fears it would spread etc, but the cancer is now stagnet(or not growing) and she has been in remission for a bout 18 months.

xoxox

I understand how your MIL felt, my hubbie and family have no idea how its starting to scare me. I wear my brave mask not to scare my babies, I wear a mask daily not to scare my hubbie, I wear a mask constantly just so my loved ones believe that I believe it's all fine!

Sushee, your description of you MIL is inspirational. It's amazing how some people can face adversity with dignity and courage and still think of others when they could be excused for focusing on themselves.

I guess it would look much better for me not to talk about it, but I can't talk about it with my family.

I too have had relatives who have survived cancer. I've also had a scare before with having a lump in my breast, luckily my biopsy came back clear, and I hope the same is for you. Gooduck!

Thanks cailin for your words to me. Oh I had no idea you had a scare too. Well God must have needed you here, for your babes too!

Anyway, I think I have talked about it enough, I am sorry for looking like a sook, I am just "Petrified"!

It's my daughters birthday tomorrow need to concentrate on her special day!!

I think its very understandable to be upset. Not something I'd wish on anyone, I hope the time goes quickly between now and when you find out, and I hope its nothing but good news. I hope tomorrow goes well for your daughter!

Half my mouth is being cut away regardless of what the lump is, and that alone is scary. I shouldn't whine though as there is worse of than me right! I don't want to look selfish now!

Cailin, once again thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast